mark99

Featured Posts

I'm not seeing anything that makes me think "Braunston".

Certainly Braunston Church has a very distinctive spire, whereas what I assume to be a church here has a square tower.

For me the image isn't really clear enough to for a strong opinion on whether it might be based on somewhere real, though.

Also it is a single lock, as far as I am aware the locks on the GU between Braunston and London were all built as double locks.

If the bridge is taken to be Butcher's Bridge to what could be the entrance to the old Oxford Canal the distance is too short.

Also if looking towards Braunston Church the London Road Turnpike should feature, now the A45.

Lovely picture though.

Edited by Ray T

The first picture seems to have an unusual point of view.

I am not an artist and never will be but how easy would it be to paint a scene from a bridge like that? I would have thought it'd be rather tricky.

Seems like some artistic license

Also it is a single lock, as far as I am aware the locks on the GU between Braunston and London were all built as double locks.

If I remember right some locks on the Grand Junction were built with narrow chambers alongside broad chamber (like Ivinghoe locks) but the painting seems to only show a narrow lock.

If I remember right some locks on the Grand Junction were built with narrow chambers alongside broad chamber (like Ivinghoe locks) but the painting seems to only show a narrow lock.

Can you get in your canoe tomorrow and go id the location of Regents? :)

Can you get in your canoe tomorrow and go id the location of Regents? :)

Would do except we are in Pangbourne on the Thames at the moment :)

I would stay that was a wide lock as there are two boats in there.

Darren

*BS disclaimer edit

Edited by magnetman

The way the lock waiting area is seriously curved is strange.

And yes it is a wide lock as there is a bloke on the other side pushing a gate open :)

But the boat waiting for the lock seems to be blocking the exiting vessels.

It's a painting taken from an early video (maybe before breakfast) the location is Shipton upon Cherwell on The Oxford Canal.

The lock was shortly removed due to the difference in levels being negligible. After being kept in storage it was intended to be installed at Hawkesbury, however being a wide lock the bricks were too big.

The title of the scene was "Pending a Punch-Up"

You can see that "Forgetful Filip" has let his boat load of manure (weekly run to Banbury Co-op Music & Gramaphone Dept) run up against the gates blocking the exit for the other boat.

The other boat is "The Floater" owned by "Short Tempered Tony" and home also to his 17 Rugby playing sons, who are about to explain to Forgetful his short comings.

Would do except we are in Pangbourne on the Thames at the moment smile.png

*BS disclaimer edit

What are you; man or moose? wink.png

Looks like a bowler.

Edited by mark99

I think it's a little more contemporary than most here seem to think, otherwise it would be in black and white. ;)

Is this the future of the NBTA? Once we run out of oil I mean.

Ha ha! wink.png Cost £8.

Here is another from same artist - tagged Regents Canal (not that I can recognise it). Seems to like church's ;)

GLW_NAWM_W3_69_zpsslniisdh.jpg

Wild guess but maybe Haggerston or Hoxton/Dalston area if it is a true representation.