Kennet & Avon Canal Fobney Lock Sunken Boat

nine9feet

Featured Posts

Often they are not, or only separated by a dwarf bulkhead.

Even when the engine is separated the stern down trim change caused by an engine space full of watter can be enough to drag other holes below water level, flooding the rest of the boat.

There have been a number of sinkings caused by unreplaced or badly replaced weed hatch covers.

N

I don't think this was posted, before, but may be wrong?

Reading Berkshire News Linky

Very dramatic, and very sad for those involved.

However it gives no clue to the reasons, because the video doesn't start until well after the boat is near inundated, and a very fast sinking is inevitable

You would need footage taken before that point to give any clue as to how quickly it got to that unrecoverable position.

Very frightening! Was the woman actually inside the boat as it started its final descent, or just in the front well deck?

I'm surprised that it happened when the lock was nearly full. I had assumed that if the weedhatch lid had not been replaced, it might have been OK under power in forward gear, but on engaging reverse to stop in the lock, enough water was thrown up through the weedhatch to sink it. But that wouldn't have taken as long as it takes to fill the lock that full surely.

Very frightening! Was the woman actually inside the boat as it started its final descent, or just in the front well deck?

I'm surprised that it happened when the lock was nearly full. I had assumed that if the weedhatch lid had not been replaced, it might have been OK under power in forward gear, but on engaging reverse to stop in the lock, enough water was thrown up through the weedhatch to sink it. But that wouldn't have taken as long as it takes to fill the lock that full surely.

The paddles are fierce and the water turbulent when filling. If the boat was not roped, considerable use of reverse would be required to hold the boat. A big, fierce lock requiring respect and a very secure weed hatch...

Very frightening! I don't understand how a failed weed hatch (as was apparently the cause) can cause a boat to sink so fast?

I suspect it started sinking long before that video was started, especially as there was time to rescue someone off it first. That clip is just the last few seconds i suspect.

I suspect it started sinking long before that video was started, especially as there was time to rescue someone off it first. That clip is just the last few seconds i suspect.

After all, why would someone choose to video the boat?

Richard

This makes more sense now, I was trying to understand what could have happened just to try and learn from it. I suppose this could have happened elsewhere when using a lot of reverse? Luckily not in a fast flowing part of the Kennet with poor access ?

Someone else on here had their boat sink within a week of buying it due to the weed hatch. I will have a little think

Someone else on here had their boat sink within a week of buying it due to the weed hatch. I will have a little think

Found it

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=74739

This makes more sense now, I was trying to understand what could have happened just to try and learn from it. I suppose this could have happened elsewhere when using a lot of reverse? Luckily not in a fast flowing part of the Kennet with poor access

As an experiment, remove your weedhatch cover whilst moored up and engage ahead and rev the engine a bit. You'll notice a fair bit of turbulence down the hatch hole but nothing much comes into the boat.

Then engage astern for a couple of seconds and rev the engine, then back to neutral quickly. Now work out what to do with the 25 gallons of water than came into the boat via the weedhatch whilst in astern.

Open or insecure weedhatches are seriously dangerous when reverse is used IME......

As an experiment, remove your weedhatch cover whilst moored up and engage ahead and rev the engine a bit. You'll notice a fair bit of turbulence down the hatch hole but nothing much comes into the boat.

Then engage astern for a couple of seconds and rev the engine, then back to neutral quickly. Now work out what to do with the 25 gallons of water that came into the boat via the weedhatch whilst in astern.

Open or insecure weedhatches are seriously dangerous when reverse is used IME......

That's interesting. My boat certainly lets in water when in forward gear. Every boat is different. I guess .... I wonder if one might get different results if under way rather than moored up?

When I painted the engine room bilge I left the weed hatch off for a couple of weeks - in a marina so no risk from passing boats.

That's interesting. My boat certainly lets in water when in forward gear. Every boat is different. I guess .... I wonder if one might get different results if under way rather than moored up?

I think its safe to say on the sunken boat, it didn't let water in badly in in forward gear with the weed hatch off (if it was) or it would have sunk long before getting to the lock!

I think its safe to say on the sunken boat, it didn't let water in badly in in forward gear with the weed hatch off (if it was) or it would have sunk long before getting to the lock!

Yes, when you consider that the boat, presumably, cruised up from County lock, against a fairly strong flow. There won't be that many narrowboats can do that on tickover.

My guess is that, if we assume the weedhatch was loose, the boat had already taken on a fair amount of water before reaching Fobney. If the boaters are the sort that holds the boat at the rear of the lock by revving the nuts off it in reverse, then it could easily be swamped before the lock is filled. It's a very big lock, takes a while to fill.

if they'd held the boat on lines, maybe they would have made it to the relative shallows of Fobney cut, and just be mopping up a bit of dampness.

It was a weed hatch issue as the boat is now back on our island ,the unauthorised raising was from some of the colourful chaps from Tesco mooring in Reading after salvage

Police were called and as its a grey area only stopped them on threat of criminal damage to lock ladders used to strap boat up for raising attempt

The owner called Police on 4 occasions where peeps were inside the boat rooting for anything they could find ,damaged rudder and props haft in there attempts to raise it in there Micky mouse manner

The owner has just had a health issue and was coming back from a few easy days on the Thames to recuperate,not sure if they will continue boating as the hassle with scumbag twats looting and damaging the boat may be the straw that breaks the camels back

Really nice couple who are having a rotten run of luck

It was a weed hatch issue as the boat is now back on our island ,the unauthorised raising was from some of the colourful chaps from Tesco mooring in Reading after salvage

Police were called and as its a grey area only stopped them on threat of criminal damage to lock ladders used to strap boat up for raising attempt

The owner called Police on 4 occasions where peeps were inside the boat rooting for anything they could find ,damaged rudder and props haft in there attempts to raise it in there Micky mouse manner

The owner has just had a health issue and was coming back from a few easy days on the Thames to recuperate,not sure if they will continue boating as the hassle with scumbag twats looting and damaging the boat may be the straw that breaks the camels back

Really nice couple who are having a rotten run of luck

I really hope proceedings are taken against those lowlife who tried raising it & looting.

It saddens me greatly that this sort of scum have the right to breathe.

It's easy to say they should have checked the weed hatch but I'm sure I can't be the only one who has been grateful to clear something off the prop and just fastened the lid down and carried on without checking all was ok.

Cheers

Gareth.

Never takes the vultures long to descend on easy pickings. I hope all their boats sink.

ETA. Ok maybe that was a bit harsh under the circumstances. I hope they have lots of bad luck etc.

Edited by AllanC