Bridgewater Visitor Licence

pearley

Featured Posts

Just taken a 7 day one. It wasn't easy. After 5 abortive phone calls I was beginning to think they didn't want my money.

However, in the end of was a piece of cake. Ignore what it says on their website about phoning them, just go here:

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/payonline/default.aspx

and select 'Purchase a permit'. Then fill in the boxes and pay your money.

Not been mentioned but there is an option of a 3 day permit for £20 so not so expensive for those returning from Liverpool.

Edited by pearley

Hmm, thanks, on my way to Albert Dock in a couple of weeks. Do you know whether you were logged on your way through on the first trip? Were there signs at Castlefield informing us of the new charging system?

Hmm, thanks, on my way to Albert Dock in a couple of weeks. Do you know whether you were logged on your way through on the first trip? Were there signs at Castlefield informing us of the new charging system?

Coming from Preston Brook. There are no signs to say where the boundary between CRT and Bridgewater is let alone charges.

really do not see why you would pay,until made to do so .think the whole thing is a minefield to try and enforce.

its run by Peel who are a bunch of chancers (quite successful). they are notorious in private parking circles and were prolific clampers until that became legal. You only need to see some of the reports about the enforcement goons they use to get the picture. They see boaters as a really soft spot and will definetely be trying it on.

Not sure how they would ever get your personal details from CRT if they were to try and enforce as I am sure that DPA does not allow them to release owner details like the DVLA does to parking firms.

its run by Peel who are a bunch of chancers (quite successful). they are notorious in private parking circles and were prolific clampers until that became legal. You only need to see some of the reports about the enforcement goons they use to get the picture. They see boaters as a really soft spot and will definetely be trying it on.

Not sure how they would ever get your personal details from CRT if they were to try and enforce as I am sure that DPA does not allow them to release owner details like the DVLA does to parking firms.

I'm afraid that you are under a (widely held) misconception about what the Data Protection Act does.

I'm afraid that you are under a (widely held) misconception about what the Data Protection Act does.

happy to be educated then if you can assist as am sure it would be useful to others. As I understood it my persoanl data cannot be released to third parties etc without my persmission other than in exceptional circumstances etc so it would be protected in this instance, though your post indicates otherwise.

happy to be educated then if you can assist as am sure it would be useful to others. As I understood it my persoanl data cannot be released to third parties etc without my persmission other than in exceptional circumstances etc so it would be protected in this instance, though your post indicates otherwise.

Nope.

Whilst many organisations trot out the "I can't release that information because of Data Protection" line, it simply isn't true.

The DPA regulates how they process the data, but it isn't a privacy act that imposes any kind of blanket ban on sharing data.

So, I get onto the Bridgewater from Dukes lock , done this 3 times already this year, at varying times of the day (and night!) I proceed to either Leigh or Preston Brook , possibly stopping overnight somewhere like Dunham or Moore, I spend maybe 15hours max on the Bridgewater. This has been the style of boating for me over this canal for over 40 years.

Question is: Have I been logged by a person or a camera or some other means?

I return to Manchester after X days and go onto the Rochdale 9 . Have I been spotted again? Are there enforcement officers hiding behind hedges plotting my transit of their canal? Is there a fast patrol boat lurking in the Potato Wharf ready to give chase and fire warning shots over my bows?

Just what is the reality of the situation as regards boating rather than living on the Bridgewater?

Bill (sans Bridgewater Licence)

So, I get onto the Bridgewater from Dukes lock , done this 3 times already this year, at varying times of the day (and night!) I proceed to either Leigh or Preston Brook , possibly stopping overnight somewhere like Dunham or Moore, I spend maybe 15hours max on the Bridgewater. This has been the style of boating for me over this canal for over 40 years.

Question is: Have I been logged by a person or a camera or some other means?

I return to Manchester after X days and go onto the Rochdale 9 . Have I been spotted again? Are there enforcement officers hiding behind hedges plotting my transit of their canal? Is there a fast patrol boat lurking in the Potato Wharf ready to give chase and fire warning shots over my bows?

Just what is the reality of the situation as regards boating rather than living on the Bridgewater?

Bill (sans Bridgewater Licence)

Come on Bob! If you are using Joel it's going to have to be one FAST patrol boat to catch you! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Not been mentioned but there is an option of a 3 day permit for £20 so not so expensive for those returning from Liverpool.

The statement from BCCL announcing the no return within 28 days mentioned a "return ticket" at a reduced rate, but no other details about it.

Perhaps this £20 thing is the "return ticket".

Whilst I'm not usually one for advocating free loading I think the way this charge has been brought in I would take the risk if purely doing an out and back transit.

Considering the facilities provided for boaters such as refuse disposal and even moorings are limited to say the least I think they are being very unreasonable. Even the main honeypot site at castle field lacks anything other than a water tap now. However I bet the boats that always seem to be on the prime visitor moorings are still there!

Cheers

Gareth

The statement from BCCL announcing the no return within 28 days mentioned a "return ticket" at a reduced rate, but no other details about it.

Perhaps this £20 thing is the "return ticket".

Yes, in the 'purchase a permit' section the first option of type of permit is '3 day return - £20'

Ken

Yes, in the 'purchase a permit' section the first option of type of permit is '3 day return - £20'

Ken

The BCC page on licencing (http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/licensing) requires that boats with a CRT licence staying on the Bridgewater beyond the seven day reciprocal licence period have to pay for a short term licence at £40 per 7 days. But nowhere is there a minimum period before return, so it seems you can spend 7 days there, 1 day away and then another 7 days there if you wish without contravening their stated requirements.

I'm with Frangar on this. How can they enforce it ?

Although I was lambasted for suggesting civil disobedience in a previous thread it seems to me that peel have more to lose than Crt so they should be careful

It is the boaters who will lose out - not Peel or CaRT.

Steve

Or you could dip into Boothstown Marina for a night or two. Dave the guy who owns it has a particular dislike for Peel enforcement coming onto his land. And while the guy is going home to change out of his wet clothes you can use the opportunity to move.

I'm not sure that peel can give boaters much less....maybe if they close the canal to navigation??

Cheers

Gareth.

Its the Bridgewater boaters weho stand to lose out. If Peel (effectively) renege on the reciprocal arrangements then CRT will do likewise, and the Bridgewater boaters will then be limited to about 30 miles of lock free water (unless they pay extra for a short term CRT licence).

The BCC page on licencing (http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/licensing) requires that boats with a CRT licence staying on the Bridgewater beyond the seven day reciprocal licence period have to pay for a short term licence at £40 per 7 days. But nowhere is there a minimum period before return, so it seems you can spend 7 days there, 1 day away and then another 7 days there if you wish without contravening their stated requirements.

Just to remove doubt, there is a minimum of 28 days after leaving the Bridgewater before returning for another "free" (reciprocal) 7 days. If you return earlier you are supposed to pay.

I'm not sure that peel can give boaters much less....maybe if they close the canal to navigation??

Cheers

Gareth.

I'm sure that was intended as a joke but in http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85793 it is stated that the canal will be closed at bridge 56 Vicars Hall for almost 4 months from 31/10. I can't find this on the bridgewater canal website stoppages at http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/stoppages/default.aspx

Anyone point me to the notice?

Thanks.

Just to remove doubt, there is a minimum of 28 days after leaving the Bridgewater before returning for another "free" (reciprocal) 7 days. If you return earlier you are supposed to pay.

That has been asserted many times. But it is not stated anywhere on the BCC website as far as I can see. So a boater would have fair grounds for arguing that he does not have to pay again to return within 28 days, provided each stay on the Bridgewater is no more than 7 days.

That has been asserted many times. But it is not stated anywhere on the BCC website as far as I can see. So a boater would have fair grounds for arguing that he does not have to pay again to return within 28 days, provided each stay on the Bridgewater is no more than 7 days.

The BCC web site is not very good imho.

The message about no return within 28 days is at http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/news/amendmentsforagreement

That's a "news" page!

Cheers

I'm sure that was intended as a joke but in http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85793 it is stated that the canal will be closed at bridge 56 Vicars Hall for almost 4 months from 31/10. I can't find this on the bridgewater canal website stoppages at http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/stoppages/default.aspx

Anyone point me to the notice?

NAVIGATION CLOSURE

Notice is hereby given that due to the proposed replacement of Vicars Hall

Bridge, (situated approximately 1.4 Km west of Boothstown Marina on the

Bridgewater Canal in Boothstown) the Canal will be closed to all navigation

during the course of the works.

To: Friday 24th February 2017 at 12.00 noon

Location of closure: Approximately 1.4 Km West of Boothstown Marina

The canal towpath is planned to remain open during the works, however

please remain vigilant and obey any instructions posted locally.

Works to replace the bridge are programmed to be completed within the

specified period of time. However, due to the nature of the work the

Company cannot guarantee completion on the published date.

For further information or updates concerning progress of the works please

visit the Bridgewater Canal website during the period of the closure.

The Bridgewater Canal Company regrets and apologises for any

inconvenience that these necessary works may cause.