Electricity in Marinas

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

each marina is different..ours marina charges the same as they are charged and you buy cards for pre payment but there is a yearly surcharge to cover the maintenance . Other marinas bill you quarterly and again they usually charge a supplement to cover costs. Some marinas used to charge a higher rate but no supplement but I understand that this is no longer legal (but no doubt somebody will be along in a minute to say I am wrong!)

You are correct, the resale of electricity is that it is only allowed to be sold at the price they buy it at but a service charge is allowed.

As to

Is it included? On a meter? Charged separately?

The answer is yes or possibly no.

Each and every marina will be different.

You are correct, the resale of electricity is that it is only allowed to be sold at the price they buy it at but a service charge is allowed.

As to

The answer is yes or possibly no.

Each and every marina will be different.

The resale price can be higher per unit for commercial property....but not residential property....what category marinas fall into could be a bit fluid.

A marina we stayed in as a visitor last year had an eye watering unit rate...they operated on pre pay cards...made me glad my marina has a cheap unit rate and a service charge.

Cheers

Gareth

Thank you 'tagulablue', 'bottle' and 'frangar'.

We'll be mooring at Trinity Marina in HInckley for a month, and noticed there's no mention re electric on their website. As this is the first time we'll be using a marina, we were curious.

rolleyes.gif

Thank you 'tagulablue', 'bottle' and 'frangar'.

We'll be mooring at Trinity Marina in HInckley for a month, and noticed there's no mention re electric on their website. As this is the first time we'll be using a marina, we were curious.

rolleyes.gif

I would say the must common scheme in use is the pre pay cards one, all the marinas we have stayed at on short term moorings have used that. A couple included electricity in the short term price but most you just buy the cards like the long term moorers there, however we have only ever needed to buy a card once i think, in reality most meters will have credit left on them so don't buy a card until you have been into the pontoon and checked if it has credit.

Our home marina has a rather nifty metering system built into to supply pillars which uses a PIN number to activate the socket once you are plugged in and disconnects the supply when you take the shoreline out meaning no one else can pinch your power!

It also meters the used electric and the usage is added to your mooring account.

It's not the most common way of doing it tho sadly.q

Cheers

Gareth

Our home marina has a rather nifty metering system built into to supply pillars which uses a PIN number to activate the socket once you are plugged in and disconnects the supply when you take the shoreline out meaning no one else can pinch your power!

It also meters the used electric and the usage is added to your mooring account.

It's not the most common way of doing it tho sadly.q

Cheers

Gareth

I was just going to say to the OP when leaving your boat to go cruising ensure you take a meter reading in case another boater ...... ahem..... 'accidentally' plugs into your outlet by 'mistake'.

That sounds like a good system.

I was just going to say to the OP when leaving your boat to go cruising ensure you take a meter reading in case another boater ...... ahem..... 'accidentally' plugs into your outlet by 'mistake'.

That does sound like a good system.

Does that happen often? People nicking electric when you are not around?! ohmy.png

Just for information Ventnor has 2 types; In the first marina we have these:

41sPvTALxsL.jpg

In which the meter maid is your own property, but you have to buy it of course. It plugs into a post similar to below.

The second phase has metered posts, something like this:

530260956_512.jpg

The electricity is charged at going rate but there is a yearly service charge.

Edited by Ray T

That does sound like a good system.

Does that happen often? People nicking electric when you are not around?! ohmy.png

I don't believe it's a regular occurrence but it can happen. I was fairly sure it had happened to me once but as I hadn't taken accurate readings I wasn't sure enough to challenge anybody about it.

As he OP has said they are going on a temporary mooring and people keep mentioning service changes, do some marinas actually levy a service change for short term moorings? I have never had that happen, but then we have used only perhaps 10 other marinas for short terms mooring, so I guess a fairly small sample.

With the case like Ventnor, and I think Crick is the same, where you have you own meter, what normally happens with short term mooring, do they do a with and without electricity change where you are not metered?

With the case like Ventnor, and I think Crick is the same, where you have you own meter, what normally happens with short term mooring, do they do a with and without electricity change where you are not metered?

The mooring charge is the same whether "you" have electricity or not. If you require power connection the purchase of what ever is necessary, depends upon which bit of the marina you are in, is additional.

Good advice, which we now follow. We shared a pontoon with a liveaboard. Liveaboard departed just after we returned and we ended up with a big bill and no way of proving the fraud.

One other point to watch out. VAT on the service charge is 20% but on unit charge is 5%.

We pay only for what we use. We purchase a pre-pay card and insert it into the service point located at the front of the pontoon (where the fresh water is also dispensed) and then we have X amount of credit to use. There is an emergency topup button too, I believe this will allow you to run into a negative balance should you run out of credit though it's not something I've used. As others have said, they can't profit from it so it seems to be good value.