Looking for a washing machine

RichM

Featured Posts

I run my small candy from the 3kw psw inverter no problems at all. Uses less power than the toaster, kettle or hair dryer ( heads for cover)

Likewise, ours is a Sterling 3kw PSW and the Candy is fine with it. They have lived together for 12 years now. Also using as a cold wash and bunging our own hot water in manually, it uses very little energy.

SWMBO's hair dryer is something else! That really gives the batteries a workout.

SWMBO's hair dryer is something else! That really gives the batteries a workout.

That only goes on when we're cruising, the typical 1200 watt hairdryer being a 100 amp draw on the batteries through the inverter. For other occasions, I bought her a Vidal Sassoon hot air brush which only draws 180 watts (15 amps), although choose carefully as some a much higher rated. It works surprisingly well, only cost about 12 quid from Boots, and it keeps her indoors and the batteries happy!

Strange - our Zanussi 1300 runs fine on our Victron 3000 PSW inverter -i's not a combi though !

Our old ZWC1300 ran ok, the new ZWC1301 won't, due to something called true detection.h

Edited by pearley

The twin tub washers are a very interesting concept, but I didn't realise they were 240V. I imagine they have a fairly straightforward motor? I was thinking along the lines of installing a 12V motor? Are we talking a simple motor driving an impeller like me Mam's old Hoover washer in the late 50's?

Edited by Guest

I think you would find it difficult. The washer agitator goes back and forth. A second motor does the spin and it's quite fast. Cheap inverter would run it as it's only about 300W.

I see. Easy then with a cheapo inverter as you say. Cheers :)

We went for a candy from argos. It is full sized frontwise - 80cm high and 55cm wide but it is only 40cm deep and so fits fine on the boat.

Best thing we bought. People talk about twin tubs as being better for saving water but they use almost 50 litres for each 'rinse' - because the clothes have to float in the water.

Our candy uses 55l over the whole wash. Reason being it knows how much you have put in and fills up until the clothes are sodden rather than covered.

Was £220 reduced to £160. Pm me if interested and ill find out the exact model.

Plumbed into the hot water feed so just stick it on a cold wash and let it fill with hot.

• Love 1

We went for a candy from argos. It is full sized frontwise - 80cm high and 55cm wide but it is only 40cm deep and so fits fine on the boat.

Best thing we bought. People talk about twin tubs as being better for saving water but they use almost 50 litres for each 'rinse' - because the clothes have to float in the water.

Our candy uses 55l over the whole wash. Reason being it knows how much you have put in and fills up until the clothes are sodden rather than covered.

Was £220 reduced to £160. Pm me if interested and ill find out the exact model.

Plumbed into the hot water feed so just stick it on a cold wash and let it fill with hot.

Do you run from any kind of inverter / genny?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys, have taken it all onboard.

I am leaning towards a twin tub now. I don't really fancy having to replace the inverter and I guess it could live in the shower. There seems to be a lot of different twin tubs available on the internet. Are they all pretty much the same or are there ones to avoid etc?

Cheers

Thanks for all the advice guys, have taken it all onboard.

I am leaning towards a twin tub now. I don't really fancy having to replace the inverter and I guess it could live in the shower. There seems to be a lot of different twin tubs available on the internet. Are they all pretty much the same or are there ones to avoid etc?

Cheers

From what I have seen they are all pretty much the same (apart from size / capacity)

Ours (4.5kg size) lives under the bed

• 1 month later...

On my twin tub shirts come out ready to iron. The plan next time I use it is to spin after the wash and then I think I can get away with only one rinse. So, wash 15 mins, spin 5mins, rinse 5 mins, spin 10mins. Complete cycle a little over 35 mins.

Recently bought one of these on eBay for £75.99.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122063477704?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seems to have gone up a bit now.

Works well, gets the clothes at least as clean as the automatic machine in the house, and quicker too, but much more manual input ( you replace the programmer in effect!).