Not Japanese Knot Weed But Rather Himalayan Balsam Discussed At Length

jddevel

Featured Posts

Just returned from a week trip from Anderton Marina to the Llangollen and back. Great week but surprised

with the amount of Japanese Knot weed that exists. I recognise it`s a difficult problem to control so near water and obviously don`t know the solution. Hate to think how it will affect our waterside vegetation in the future.

Roundup 360 is an effective weed killer for Japanese Knotweed. It is licenced for use in and near water for a suitably qualified sprayer.

However it does take a few years on a big stand of knotweed to eradicate it.

Knotweed? Oh dear! That really is a bad thing.

You don't mean the pink flowering Himalayan Balsam do you? It's kinda nice but is a pest which has to be removed. It's quite widespread on the waterways as the seeds are carried by water and not all landowners are doing their duty.

Roundup 360 is an effective weed killer for Japanese Knotweed. It is licenced for use in and near water for a suitably qualified sprayer.

However it does take a few years on a big stand of knotweed to eradicate it.

Stem injection is the thing nowadays, works really well if done properly

Not unless Japan's been moved to the Himalayas.

Which I don't believe it has, but then the weed spotted was in Wales, the borders and Cheshire.

The reason I asked is that Himalayan Balsam is quite common along our waterways and Japanese Knotweed really isn't. Plus, whilst cruising the Llangollen and onwards to Anderton myself recently I did notice plenty of Himalayan Balsam but I didn't spot any Japanese Knotweed. So I was just asking in case it was a mix up of one invasive species for another. Maybe we'll never know! :D

Edited to add 'onwards to' before Anderton. You know, just in case of someone saying "the Llangollen doesn't go to Anderton" - like maybe I'd have done the trip and not noticed. ;)

Edited by Sea Dog

Stem injection is the thing nowadays, Works really well if done properly

Stem injection does work well. There are very strict rules as to what to do with the cuttings. Not something to be taken to the dumpit site.

Stem injection does work well. There are very strict rules as to what to do with the cuttings. Not something to be taken to the dumpit site.

Yup treat and leave on site, I've been involved in a couple of sites infested with the stuff and it can be dealt with but its not straightforward

As you leave Barnton tunnel in the direction of Anderton and go under the road bridge there is Japanese knotweed overhanging the canal all along the offside where the canal is narrow.

One boat passed us covered in knotweed foliage which means that it will be spread elsewhere.

Regular treatment with a Glyphosate based weedkiller helps to keep it under control.

Steve

Having Googled pictures of Balsam and knot weed I think I owe the forum and others an apology. As the flowers were pink, not

white I believe I`m most certainly incorrect. I therefore suggest the moderator deletes this topic

One boat passed us covered in knotweed foliage which means that it will be spread elsewhere.

The landowner can be prosecuted for allowing it to spread.

OP - Knotweed issues should be reported to Natural England, who will find and contact the landowner.

Edited to add - overtaken by events: it was Himalayan Balsam after all.

Edited by Sea Dog

Having Googled pictures of Balsam and knot weed I think I owe the forum and others an apology. As the flowers were pink, notwhite I believe I`m most certainly incorrect. I therefore suggest the moderator deletes this topic

I wondered if it might be. Easy done when you just spot an invasive species, JD. Balsam is still an invasive species, if a relatively pretty one, which should be removed as it doesn't support native wildlife as well as the native stuff it chokes.

Others have raised Knotweed problems though (and I've had an spurious geography lesson from Beaker really Japan and the Himalayas ;)), and it's an interesting enough subject. If any action is required by a mod, maybe a change of title rather than a deletion?

Edited to include some missing words!

Edited by Sea Dog

Hopeless at recognising most plants but had a keen gardener(ex nursery owner and landscaper) on aboard the other day and he pointed out a patch of knotweed between Willington and Barton Turns.. I hope (for once) he was wrong

Knotweed can be found in all areas of the country. If I see small clumps which are new looking I report them to CRT. Some parts of the country are particularly bad. Hanley Park a couple of years ago managed JKW, Himalayan Balsam and Giant Hogweed in a 50 length of canal bank!

There was a large expanse of JKW at the south entrance to Harecastle tunnel last time I was there and on the spit of nad between the T&M and Macclesfield canals. You also see it by railways.

There is plenty of good information on the net about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallopia_japonica

There's plenty of Knotweed in Stoke on Trent. it's been sprayed a few times but the stuff right along the waterside seems not to have been affected.

The big thing with Knotweed is its ability to come up through all kind of substrates. Himalyan Balsam is very benign by contrast. The fact that it isn't indigenous is a very dodgy road to ride down.

There's plenty of Knotweed in Stoke on Trent. it's been sprayed a few times but the stuff right along the waterside seems not to have been affected.

The big thing with Knotweed is its ability to come up through all kind of substrates. Himalyan Balsam is very benign by contrast. The fact that it isn't indigenous is a very dodgy road to ride down.

It can take years of spraying to eradicate Japanese knotweed.

Steve