Number of handcuff locks on Wolverhampton 21

Doug the Tug

Featured Posts

I recently travelled the Wolverhampton 21 for the first time. Unlocking and relocking all the handcuff locks became very tiresome, particularly has many seem to be worn and therefore fiddly to unlock.

I wondered why there were locks on all 4 paddles of each lock, surely just locking the paddles on either the top or the bottom would do the job. This would limit the potential loss of water to just one lock full, and half the hassle.

Then if only every second lock had handcuff bolts, the hassle would be halved again. Still with limited potential loss of water.

The handcuff locks on the BCN generally are a push to lock and a half turn to unlock. If you really want a lot of work then cruise the Ashton flight.

I expect the reason is the amount of vandalism on the 21. Many will recall the lock wall collapsing a couple of years or so ago due to locks bring drained.

Edited by pearley

why an electric screwdriver? The ones at Wolverhampton only need quarter of a turn for the spring loaded pin to pop out. Really it is no big deal to pop the pins!

see ^^^^

The ones on the Leeds Liverpool do take some unscrewing, so maybe a bit of assistance there might help some people.

Edited by steven wilkinson

why an electric screwdriver? The ones at Wolverhampton only need quarter of a turn for the spring loaded pin to pop out. Really it is no big deal to pop the pins!

I found it quite a big deal as a single hander and there are 63 of them to unlock, then lock again after! (Less those not set by the proceeding boat).

If only due to my propensity to juggle and drop the handcuff key in the lock every few dozen operations...

see ^^^^

The ones on the Leeds Liverpool do take some unscrewing, so maybe a bit of assistance there might help some people.

Im used to the ones on the L&L, a good few have been stripped of the thread now. Would be nice if they had springs as well as I find the bolts get stuck.

I recently travelled the Wolverhampton 21 for the first time. Unlocking and relocking all the handcuff locks became very tiresome, particularly has many seem to be worn and therefore fiddly to unlock.

I wondered why there were locks on all 4 paddles of each lock, surely just locking the paddles on either the top or the bottom would do the job. This would limit the potential loss of water to just one lock full, and half the hassle.

Then if only every second lock had handcuff bolts, the hassle would be halved again. Still with limited potential loss of water.

No. If the lock happens to be set for the locked end, it is possible for vandals to open those gates without needing a key.

They can the go to the unlocked end and open the paddles without needing a key at that end either.

George ex nb Alton retired

Went up the wolverhampton 21 a few weeks back - only twice down the weed hatch to remove knitwear and trousers presumably being washed in the canal by locals. Dispiriting as every lock set agin us.

Arrived at the top to find the special brew bar had been open for some time, suspect we should have started out earlier. Anyway then followed a long drag through a canal desert of post industrial wasteland and razor wired fencing to find a mooring in the centre. Miles of water and no boats, either moored or moving. Gas St etc is very well restored though.

On next day down Farmers Locks - syringes in the water and junkies actually shooting up in the underground gallery near the dispensary.

Got out of the venice of the midlands that night - I think we might take the long route next time.

Went up the wolverhampton 21 a few weeks back - only twice down the weed hatch to remove knitwear and trousers presumably being washed in the canal by locals. Dispiriting as every lock set agin us.

Arrived at the top to find the special brew bar had been open for some time, suspect we should have started out earlier. Anyway then followed a long drag through a canal desert of post industrial wasteland and razor wired fencing to find a mooring in the centre. Miles of water and no boats, either moored or moving. Gas St etc is very well restored though.

On next day down Farmers Locks - syringes in the water and junkies actually shooting up in the underground gallery near the dispensary.

Got out of the venice of the midlands that night - I think we might take the long route next time.

I guess the BCN is not for you then! But I'm surprised you didn't like farmers bridge, we've done it many times and I always find it fascinating. In general it is pretty litter-free with a lot of tourist towpath traffic. On one occasion we saw a couple of guys shooting up beside a lock. Not very nice to see but on the other hand, having no direct physical impact on us. You do get to see all aspects of life when on the cut and unfortunately that is one of them.

If you find having every lock in a flight against you "dispiriting" then perhaps the canals are not for you, or at least you should confine yourselves to the Ashby or Bridegwater.

Well anyway at least you get the prize for the most negative post of the week!

• Greenie 1

You've just described all the most interesting and fun aspects of a BCN cruise. The colourful characters at the top of the 21. The endlessly fascinating industrial architecture. The lucky dip of a weed hatch investigation. The lack of slowing down for moored boats. You didn't mention the beautiful wildlife of the Galton Valley or the fabulous waterlilies of Tividale and Oldbury, so it's hard to work out which route you took?

You've just described all the most interesting and fun aspects of a BCN cruise. The colourful characters at the top of the 21. The endlessly fascinating industrial architecture. The lucky dip of a weed hatch investigation. The lack of slowing down for moored boats. You didn't mention the beautiful wildlife of the Galton Valley or the fabulous waterlilies of Tividale and Oldbury, so it's hard to work out which route you took?

But - but - but... Galton Bridge! If it was anywhere else, people would go to see it

Richard

• Greenie 2

Best that you buy a caravan, boating 'aint for you

:)

But - but - but... Galton Bridge! If it was anywhere else, people would go to see it

Richard

Galton Bridge, the highest bridge in the world when it was built I believe.

Whilst sometimes some of the things that you see is not pleasant, it is life and it gets you out into the real world, I quite like that. At lot of the interest for me on the BCN is the history, and thinking about what used to happen in the places that you go past, and how the canal has been there through it all.

We went up the 21 this year in mid July on a Saturday afternoon. Just the two of us and the dog, with the missus doing the locks. We were struck by the friendliness of the locals; on three occasions lads went out of their way to open/.shut one of the lock gates to save the missus a trip round.

Yes there were a few cans of lager being drunk and herbal cigarettes being smoked but we never felt awkward at all.

Mind you my rosy tinted view may have been different if I had been down the weed hatch a few times

Edited by nickd

You missed the sight I was presented with a couple of weeks ago as I neared Wolverhampton a female decided to demonstrate to me that the only item of clothing she had on was a summer dress because when she lifted it over her head to expose herself to me it wasn't a pretty site. I think a few derelict warehouses were far more appealing to look at.