Residents object to houseboats on their bit of canal

nine9feet

Featured Posts

Here is a story with a slightly different outcome for residential boat moorings in London :http://www.westendextra.com/houseboats-canal

Couple of snippets -

"Permission has just been granted by Westminster Council for the barges to be set up in a new mooring space in the Grand Union Canal at Admiral Walk in Carlton Gate, Maida Vale."

"Carlton Gate is also a gated secure community which is the reason many of us moved here in the first place."

This bit "The new barges will be built to a high specification and will be managed in the same way as the rest of Carlton Gate.” makes me think that these moorings will not be available to current boaters unless they buy a new boat and have lots of money.........................

They'll be boats, Jim, but not as we know them ...

The planning statement from architects Munkenbeck and Partners on behalf of applicant, Capitalbond Ltd, said: “The new barges will be built to a high specification and will be managed in the same way as the rest of Carlton Gate.”

I'm expecting some floating bungalows with no engines.

I noticed that it was stated that the "Barges will be built to a high spec" so it seems the moorings will not be available to non-shiny boats.

Phil

You'll be fine so long as you define your boat as 'shabby chic'.