fixing solar panel brackets

Featured Posts

The problem is I only have 4mm steel to tap into so I can only use small screws to get a few threads in, I cant get to underside as its all new panelling.

Neil

You have that roof thickness in common with most other boats Neil, so I'm not sure you need to invent a way to do this job.

I'm not sure what the largest size bolt which normally has a nut of 4mm in thickness is, but I suspect one (or perhaps two) of them at each corner might be quite adequate.

Someone's (quite a few someones I would have thought) already done threading the roof for solar panel fixing though, so actual working knowledge ought to be available here.

i didnt want to tap the roof so made boxes out of decking and screwed the panal to that, this let me put a hinge in so i can angle it if required

Only used 100mm decking so doesnt really stand that high on the boat roof and got a little bit of storage out of it. Boxes are really heavy with the panal attached

Glued my panels/plastic brackets with Silkaflex, 2 years on still stuck solid... modern adhesives are wonderful.

Ian.

If you use adhesives you are relying on the paint being well bonded to the metal which is not very good on most boats.

If you use adhesives you are relying on the paint being well bonded to the metal which is not very good on most boats.

Well, there's that, and there's also whether some Herbert decides your solar panels would be better on his boat than yours! That's when all of our securing methods are truly tested.

The problem is I only have 4mm steel to tap into so I can only use small screws to get a few threads in, I cant get to underside as its all new panelling.

Neil

If you want to use an M8 or M6 then use a rivet nut. They work fine and you can set them using a couple of spanners and a high tensile nut and bolt. - 3 hands helps as well

Added - a bit of epoxy smeared around the rivet bolt before you fit it will help to seal to avoid leaks.

Edited by Chewbacka

Obviously our boat has good paint then.

Well, there's that, and there's also whether some Herbert decides your solar panels would be better on his boat than yours! That's when all of our securing methods are truly tested.

I considered this before fixing but decided if someone wants to nick a panel they will try even if bolted and probably knacker the panel doing so. I take a if its stolen il just have to replace attitude and at least there won't be too much boat damage.

Ian.

i didnt want to tap the roof so made boxes out of decking and screwed the panal to that, this let me put a hinge in so i can angle it if required

Only used 100mm decking so doesnt really stand that high on the boat roof and got a little bit of storage out of it. Boxes are really heavy with the panal attached

Exactly same here no probs. to date.

There are seriously strong magnets about with tapped holes, and if fixing direct I would try these before taking a dill to my roof (enough holes in it already.)

post-910-0-94044200-1470483317_thumb.jpg

post-910-0-32628900-1470483686_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest