Keen potential liveaboard's musings. And some of the less keen's wife's queries!

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

Again, just speaking generically, it was the idea of on a cold winter morning getting up from work in a Marina at 630 and running a genny to heat the boat's rads and water (there's no stove etc.

It just seemed impractical and wondered if kitting that kind of boat out in gas would be a major and/or expensive job!

Ps no solar either!

I presume their is some other method of heating other than electric? I'm planning on using the Diesel BJ boiler, UFH and heater matrix's.

The most expensive to fitting gas would be where do the bottles go. The rest is just pipework, and this would depend and the current fitout on how major it would be.

Honestly, I'm unclear which is why it caught my attention. Not according to the description.

There is no backboiler, stove, solar panels, gas or reference to diesel heating. It just says "Hot water is supplied via a calorifier linked to the engine's hot water system. Though if hot water is required without running the engine then this can be done via the generator. This system is also linked to the central heating, radiators being located......."

How does a generator heat water though, Element in the tank?

If it's a built in one like mine (and a 6.5kw is more likely to be) then it will be water cooled so you could reroute it via the calorfier. I'm planning to do this, it's raw water cooled but via a heat exchanger so the engine coolant I can reroute via the calorfier.

Generators are more efficient at 75% load so using a electric heating element may be beneficial as well if you need hot water.

Edited by Robbo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, having done some visiting, we are not agreed on the marina we would like and they have current vacancies, a short list of 18 boats for starters spread across all 4 corners of the country to view. Pics of the house taken...

Pretty excited now!

• 1 month later...

Although some will have figured out what was happening through other threads, I felt it drew a nice bow under it to update this thread.

The boat is ready, the pram and cratch are ready. The name (Little Miss Sunshine) is painted on. Some of our stuff is on it and packed. Storage unit is full. Marina reserved. We know which lorry company we are using, we have an idea of wharf to launch (depending on dates).

We are merely waiting to exchange, which might be next week

20 hours ago, NealSmith100 said:

Although some will have figured out what was happening through other threads, I felt it drew a nice bow under it to update this thread.

The boat is ready, the pram and cratch are ready. The name (Little Miss Sunshine) is painted on. Some of our stuff is on it and packed. Storage unit is full. Marina reserved. We know which lorry company we are using, we have an idea of wharf to launch (depending on dates).

We are merely waiting to exchange, which might be next week

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating. ?

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for the update. It's good to see your persistence has paid off.  It sounds like you will love the life aboard and hopefully Mrs Neal will too.

Which marina have you chosen?

King's Bromley for now. We have some waiting lists but we'll get settled and it is convenient for my work.