Keen potential liveaboard's musings. And some of the less keen's wife's queries!

NealSmith100

Featured Posts

Q: Do canal boats get hot in the summer like a car if left unoccupied? She has a dog and is worried.

A: I think the answer to this is they can, but if you leave a couple of portholes open and shade an area off, put down plenty of water (just like we do now) this shouldn’t be a problem?

I'd agree as long as the dog generally doesn't mind being left alone and has full roam of the boat and assuming it's a fairly sizable boat relative to the size of the dog.

Boats do get hot inside during the summer BUT you will often find the floor is usually considerably cooler especially if you have tiled or laminate/wooden flooring. Lay down on the floor on one hot day and see for yourself! Quite surprising. Dogs also have sweat glands on their paws so this is a good combination.

My dog's vet told me that most young/middle aged dogs have very good bladders and can hold it much much longer than humans can, without discomfort. While it's always good to let dogs out as much as possible, it's worth bearing this in mind. Of course, puppies and older dogs will need more attention in this regard.

I'd also recommend a dog camera that can be fixed to the collar. This way you can keep an eye on your dog remotely as long as you have internet access.

My boat has port holes at the rear where it is considerably cooler. If heat is a concern, the more port holes the better. I really wish my boat had port holes and nothing else.

• 1 month later...

I've now hired on 2 occasions, fallen in once, ruined a phone, done a flight of locks, been stranded, backed up, avoided all other boats, suffered 100% flat batteries as an alt belt fell off, burnt myself on a lit stove, hammered my finger..........

And have loved every last second if it. Update: I want boat! .

I have found one that Mrs Neal has agreed to look at (which is still a LONG way from we can buy one but what the hell) as I found one I entirely love (so far). This would be way ahead of my timetable but I was wondering how long the boat taking process usually takes, assuming that there is a survey done reasonably averagely quickly and there are no real hiccups...

Also, does anyone want to urgently buy a house in Shropshire???!!! :)

• Greenie 1

I've now hired on 2 occasions, fallen in once, ruined a phone, done a flight of locks, been stranded, backed up, avoided all other boats, suffered 100% flat batteries as an alt belt fell off, burnt myself on a lit stove, hammered my finger..........

And have loved every last second if it. Update: I want boat! .

I have found one that Mrs Neal has agreed to look at (which is still a LONG way from we can buy one but what the hell) as I found one I entirely love (so far). This would be way ahead of my timetable but I was wondering how long the boat taking process usually takes, assuming that there is a survey done reasonably averagely quickly and there are no real hiccups...

Also, does anyone want to urgently buy a house in Shropshire???!!! :)

It took 17 days for me, from first seeing the boat, negotiating on the price, arranging a survey and finally sailing off into the sunset.

Less than a week for me, but only because the weekend got in the way and the owner wanted to finish some servicing and maintenance or it would have been hours. No survey.

Yes, most of my time was waiting for a survey, a d I was lucky that my chosen surveyor worked weekends.

A few years ago, when my wife and I were looking at boats, she would often say that some were narrower than others. I told her that they were all the same: 6' 10" (give or take.)

It's taken me two years to realise it's not the width, but the height that makes the difference.

Mine is a Liverpool boat and they have, from what I've seen, a more pronounced crown to the roof than others. No doubt some say they look like railway carriages, but they do give an impression of space inside.

Oh, and Neal, although the plan was that WE would live aboard, I live alone (and love it.)

T.

Edited by Retardedrocker
  • Greenie 1

A few years ago, when my wife and I were looking at boats, she would often say that some were narrower than others. I told her that they were all the same: 6' 10" (give or take.)

It's taken me two years to realise it's not the width, but the height that makes the difference.

Mine is a Liverpool boat and they have, from what I've seen, a more pronounced crown to the roof than others. No doubt some say they look like railway carriages, but they do give an impression of space inside.

Oh, and Neal, although the plan was that WE would live aboard, I live alone (and love it.)

T.

I'm hoping to avoid that path, at the minute! :)

Please don't sell the house unless you can afford to buy another at a future date. After 25 yrs living on a boat we had to go back to land. I'm very glad we had a house to go to.

I have a "get back to land" plan, which involves lifetime ISAs, saving mortgage payments and whatever the boat remains worth short term and this plus (inevitably, one day) inheritance long term, but yes Sue, it's something that does need considering, absolutely!

PS. I just need a better get to the water plan! ;-)

I have a "get back to land" plan, which involves lifetime ISAs, saving mortgage payments and whatever the boat remains worth short term and this plus (inevitably, one day) inheritance long term, but yes Sue, it's something that does need considering, absolutely!

PS. I just need a better get to the water plan! ;-)

There may have been better times to rely on savings beating house price rises. Just a thought. However, faint heart and all that! :)

I have a "get back to land" plan, which involves lifetime ISAs, saving mortgage payments and whatever the boat remains worth short term and this plus (inevitably, one day) inheritance long term, but yes Sue, it's something that does need considering, absolutely!PS. I just need a better get to the water plan! ;-)

I also have a get back to land plan. It's I WON'T GO!!!!!

T.

OK - another in a series of dumb questions :)

How difficult would it be to add either gas to a boat? It's never occurred to me to look for gas pipes on the ones I have hired! Would it likely need gutting back in full and then, effectively, a full refit after or can it be added on . I'm curious as I have been browsing boats and seen a gas free one which comes with a 6.5kw generator (or a shoreline hookup) but I cant imagine that's really convenient when cruising noise or in the morning or after work! And if you were using multiple rings on the ceramic hob........

And the more I type the more expensive it sounds to add gas!!

It has 3 batteries (unclear on amps) and an 2.5kw inverter but I imagine that heating / water / hob if used that would drain them like something that drains really fast...

PS - I was just browsing - sadly I am going nowhere anytime soon!

If it doesn't already have an area to hold the gas bottles then this would be the biggest stumbling block. The generator may be very quiet it's not noticeable.

I'm doing something similar with mine, a electric oven (with microwave) and a wallas diesel hob. My generator is around 4kw and I'm adding extra sound proofing. I hardly cook so for me a separate oven and microwave is daft, but having a decent hob is a must for me.