Where do I get an Old Dutch 4 or OD4 oil heater??

Phelan

Featured Posts

Dear Forum,

First post!

We are fitting out our boat and want to replace the solid fuel stove for a diesel heater.

Lockgate/Morso Squirrel and Kabola Old dutch seem to be our favourites in terms of design and I hear they are both reasonably reliable.

Problem: I can't find a single chandlery, place, person who sells them.

Lockgate is not responding

Kabola.nl doesn't list them

kuranda marine - kabola's distributor in UK - only list the OD7 which seems a bit much for our 40ft as it has 7kw.

Could anyone advise where to get either of the above? I am leaning towards the Old Dutch 4. So I would be super happy if someone could point me in a directin.

Thank you Forum.

Phelan

Ebay is showing one which is quite similar to ours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refleks-Lockgate-Diesel-oil-boat-stove-heater-2000kvt-back-boiler-hot-plate-/252457854298?hash=item3ac7a9255a:g:zcgAAOSwyKxXg-Vd

We run ours on 28 second home heating, 28 second oil, although it was originally set up to run on red diesel. I also have run the Webasto on it especially for the cleaner burn and reduction in servicing needed. I did this as we have oil at home, its about 1/2 the price (currently about 30p/L) of Red diesel and burns cleaner and I don't mind lugging a Jerry can or three to the boat occasionally. However, you MUST fit the conversion needle (I think it was) in the Lockgate, else it will over fuel, all the adjustment will be between 0 and 1, and it WILL take off above that ! That is a very scary event ....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Good one, a bit larger than the OD4. you may need a water circulating pump as fitting up a thermo circulation is tricky.

I have posted details of mine somewhere on the forum, a system which works with the OD4.

You would probably have to run this on the lowest possible setting on a 40ft boat.

MY OD4 provides lots of hot water and one rad, boat always nice and warm.

L

kuranda marine - kabola's distributor in UK - only list the OD7 which seems a bit much for our 40ft as it has 7kw.

Could anyone advise where to get either of the above? I am leaning towards the Old Dutch 4. So I would be super happy if someone could point me in a directin.

What did Kuranda say when you phoned them up?

hi,

thanks for the answers so far.

Kuranda just came back to me this morning. They say Kabola stopped producing the stove 4 years ago and the OD7 they list is the last one they have!

So...

OD4: 1.5 - 4.6 kW

OD7: 2.5 - 8.0 kW

I have posted details of mine somewhere on the forum, a system which works with the OD4.

You would probably have to run this on the lowest possible setting on a 40ft boat.

MY OD4 provides lots of hot water and one rad, boat always nice and warm.

Are you referring to the OD4 being a little much already?

It's a 40ft widebeam, open plan. or the OD7 being too much? would a lowest setting of 2.5 kW be acceptable?

Is yours a OD4 or OD7? I saw this one on ebay. It ends tonight. But it doesn't say if its the small or big unit and/or it is the model with the heating coil.

Maybe you can identify it better?

thanks all!

I saw this one on ebay. It ends tonight. But it doesn't say if its the small or big unit and/or it is the model with the heating coil.

thanks all!

Why not ask the seller?

hi,

Kuranda just came back to me this morning. They say Kabola stopped producing the stove 4 years ago and the OD7 they list is the last one they have!

So...

OD4: 1.5 - 4.6 kW

OD7: 2.5 - 8.0 kW

Are you referring to the OD4 being a little much already?

It's a 40ft widebeam, open plan. or the OD7 being too much? would a lowest setting of 2.5 kW be acceptable?

Is yours a OD4 or OD7? I saw this one on ebay. It ends tonight. But it doesn't say if its the small or big unit and/or it is the model with the heating coil.

thanks all!

Hi,

I would have thought that the 2.4kW would be just about Ok, but on it's lowest setting, They are bigger than the OD4, check that it will fit in satisfactorily. Shame they stopped making the OD4, there are some other small stoves about, I will have a look round.

Bearing in mind the output of the OD7 you would probably have to run a circulating pump full time - check electricity usage. Does it come with an 'over boil' cut out switch?.

Mine is an OD4 in a 48 ft fug style nb. boat, runs from Late Nov to Feb 24/7 on the 1.5/2.5 setting (mainly about 2.0KW) with breaks for cleaning, so on an open plan wide boat it should be Ok.

L

Edited by LEO

Hi,

I would have thought that the 2.4kW would be just about Ok, but on it's lowest setting, They are bigger than the OD4, check that it will fit in satisfactorily. Shame they stopped making the OD4, there are some other small stoves about, I will have a look round.

Bearing in mind the output of the OD7 you would probably have to run a circulating pump full time - check electricity usage. Does it come with an 'over boil' cut out switch?.

Mine is an OD4 in a 48 ft fug style nb. boat, runs from Late Nov to Feb 24/7 on the 1.5/2.5 setting (mainly about 2.0KW) with breaks for cleaning, so on an open plan wide boat it should be Ok.

L

Cool! will go for it then. :)

thanks all.

hi,

That's disappointing to hear as I was looking at the OD4 myself.

Dickinson is also a good make (and available from Kuranda). The Antarctic looks particular appealing to me.