Hudson weed hatch gasket

Featured Posts

G'Day,

Are there any Hudson owners or or anyone who might be able to give some advice on weed hatch gaskets?

This last week I seem to have acquired a drumming vibration from under the weed hatch and having checked there's nothing around the prop or any adverse play in the prop shaft I'm wondering if the lack of a gasket might cause this even though having had the boat now for three years it has never been a problem?

The original boat manual says the weed hatch is of the type secured by a quick release crossbar but that isn't the type fitted. It's secured by four 10m stainless bolts in each corner and has an anti cavitation plate which makes be question if this is sitting too near the prop without a gasket in place but as I say it has never to date been a problem!

Thanks for any feedback.

Don't have a Hudson so cannot say specifically for that make, but all the boats I have used over the years have had some form of gasket between the parts of the weedhatch. Mostly rubber or closed cell foam but in one case it was round section rubber sitting in a channel (like a giant "O" ring). I would just get a length of closed cell foam and try it. As yours bolts in the corners I would cover the join completely and then poke holes through for the bolts. Should take all of 10 minutes to do.

If the problem has only just started to happen then it is either the bolts coming loose or the prop shaft not aligning correctly / or your drive plate is on the way out / or an engine mount failing .

A gasket, or foam tape (as is common) will not stop whatever noise you are experiencing stop if you have never had a gasket/foam tape installed in the first place.

If the problem has only just started to happen then it is either the bolts coming loose or the prop shaft not aligning correctly / or your drive plate is on the way out / or an engine mount failing .

This is where I would be looking. It's a far more likely place for vibration to be coming from

Richard

Are you the Lionel built in 2001 or 2011? I know the earlier Hudsons had a different and much smaller weedhatch.

Anyway I think a gasket is a good idea but it would be very thin so I wouldn't have thought it would make any significant difference to the position of the plate.

More likely something new has happened such as a bent or damaged prop blade, or stuff that the others have just mentioned.

It might be that the anticavitation plate is now contacting the side of the weedhatch trunk, either because the supports connecting it to the lid have got bent, or perhaps just because of where it is positioned. Can you adjust the position? Or turn it through 180 degrees?

I think a gasket would be advisable anyway, particularly if the top of the trunk is not far above the waterline. If the boat takes on any water, and the stern sits deeper, then water can leak in without a gasket.

I think (and I'm often wrong) the OP means a 'gasket' at the bottom around the cavitation plate.

Richard

I think you may be wrong this time blush.png . The OP mentions nearer the prop, the only place a gasket could have an effect on that is by being between where it clamps shut (at the top), any gasket at the bottom would have no effect on the distance between the prop and bottom of the plate. Might help stop some vibration but I'm not sure how a gasket on the cavitation plate would be fitted (maybe some "U" section channel could be employed) or kept in place.

Thanks to all of your views so far!

Yes, it might be something horrible lurking like a drive plate on the way out..yuk..I've checked the engine mounts and they're all tight and one of the prop blades has a slight nick but I don't think that would likely be a problem.

In answer to Nick, yes it the boats name was Lionel when I purchased her in 2013 but when originally Built in 2001 she was names 'Lion' and is now renamed as such!

I will fit a gasket as a matter of course but will now look into more serious causes!

Thanks again,

Mike.

Thanks to all of your views so far!

Yes, it might be something horrible lurking like a drive plate on the way out..yuk..I've checked the engine mounts and they're all tight and one of the prop blades has a slight nick but I don't think that would likely be a problem.

In answer to Nick, yes it the boats name was Lionel when I purchased her in 2013 but when originally Built in 2001 she was names 'Lion' and is now renamed as such!

I will fit a gasket as a matter of course but will now look into more serious causes!

Thanks again,

Mike.

As I mentioned, the older Hudsons had the sort of weed hatch you described. Apparently a customer wanted a larger weed hatch and shortly after that the larger one with the securing bar became standard.

... one of the prop blades has a slight nick but I don't think that would likely be a problem.

Passing through a bridge hole recently whilst I was below, there was a 'ker-chunk' from aft. Thereafter, there was a very nasty vibration and quite some noise associated with the shuddering. Down the weed hatch went I (well, my arm up to my elbow anyway) to find a tiny nick in 2 of the 3 prop blades. Insignificant, one would have thought. Ten minutes spent dressing the blades with a file until the nicks were smooth and off for a road test - all back to the normal sweet running I'm used to. I'm not saying that's your problen too, but you need to sort those nicks to rule that out before you go modifying other things that were previously fine.

Where will you fit this gasket?

Richard

Between the top of the hatch and the deck, not at the cavitation plate end, there is a lip at the bottom of the hatch shaft that the cavitation plate sits.

Passing through a bridge hole recently whilst I was below, there was a 'ker-chunk' from aft. Thereafter, there was a very nasty vibration and quite some noise associated with the shuddering. Down the weed hatch went I (well, my arm up to my elbow anyway) to find a tiny nick in 2 of the 3 prop blades. Insignificant, one would have thought. Ten minutes spent dressing the blades with a file until the nicks were smooth and off for a road test - all back to the normal sweet running I'm used to. I'm not saying that's your problen too, but you need to sort those nicks to rule that out before you go modifying other things that were previously fine.

Very interesting, thanks Sea Dog, I'll dress that nick first thing to see if it helps.

Where will you fit this gasket?

Richard

Between the top of the hatch and the deck, not at the cavitation plate end, there is a lip at the bottom of the hatch shaft that the cavitation plate sits.

Awww, Richard was wrong ;)

Not for the first time by a long chalk

I'm puzzled by a boat with a weedhatch that hasn't got a seal. Perhaps Hudsons naturally repel water

Richard

Puzzled by a boat the has a weedhatch held in place for 4 bolts, I thought everything had a bar and T-bar type arrangement.

Puzzled by a boat the has a weedhatch held in place for 4 bolts, I thought everything had a bar and T-bar type arrangement.

You need to get into more engine holes. There are some horror stories when it comes to weedhatches!

Four is pretty good compared to the six or eight I have come across

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I've come across Mole grips, G clamps, 56lb weights, bricks holding the lid down.

I know of a boat with a wooden weedhatch cover held on with G clamps

I know because I fitted it icecream.gif

Richard