Safety ladder?

Joe the plumber

Featured Posts

Hmm, lots of good points there. Perhaps I'll keep my new rope ladder for the back garden!

Thanks folks.

If it were me I would try it out. Next time you are on a clean river like the Thames or Stratford Avon, hop over the side and have a go. Then you will know the best way to use it when you have an emergency.

post-19371-0-35859300-1470473377.jpg

Seen one of these tied over the rail of a cruiser stern [top rung]

with a 'rip cord arrangement at waterline .

Once deployed easy to climb.

About £40 mind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FeelGoodUK-TELESCOPIC-FOLDABLE-EXTENDABLE-EXTENSION/dp/B01BKJKC7K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1470473676&sr=8-7&keywords=telescopic+ladder

And quite promising it looks too! Do the rungs float? (a bad thing); have you tested it? (a brave but sensible thing); did it work? (that would be a good thing).

No, I didn't test it, we were sharing locks on the Marsworth flight. Otherwise I didn't know the guy and judged that the relationship had not developed to the stage where I could ask to try his fixtures and fittings!

icecream.gif

No, I didn't test it, we were sharing locks on the Marsworth flight. Otherwise I didn't know the guy and judged that the relationship had not developed to the stage where I could ask to try his fixtures and fittings!

:icecream:

Hehe, fairy snuff! Next time though, eh? It won't be your first date then! :D

• Greenie 1

We have one of these:

https://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/rescue-ladder.html

Pricey, but we needed a new plank anyway. I have tried to climb up the side of a big shiny, GRP hull in lumpy water while wearing full oilies using a rope ladder, I was younger and fitter but it was bloody nearly impossible!

We have one of these:

https://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/rescue-ladder.html

Pricey, but we needed a new plank anyway. I have tried to climb up the side of a big shiny, GRP hull in lumpy water while wearing full oilies using a rope ladder, I was younger and fitter but it was bloody nearly impossible!

We have something similar but it folds. Like you, we needed a new gangplank anyway and since the other half had recently had a dunking in the marina it seemed a sensible idea. There is never going to be an occasion when the boat is being single-handed so deployment from water level is unnecessary. Lifebelt or throwline to the casualty, pull in to the boat and have them hanging on, then put ladder over the side.

No-one has gone overboard since we got it so it has not been used in anger!

Edited by Lysander

We have something similar but it folds. Like you, we needed a new gangplank anyway and since the other half had recently had a dunking in the marina it seemed a sensible idea. There is never going to be an occasion when the boat is being single-handed so deployment from water level is unnecessary. Lifebelt or throwline to the casualty, pull in to the boat and have them hanging on, then put ladder over the side.

No-one has gone overboard since we got it so it has not been used in anger!

Certainly a light rigid ladder is the best thing to have - it is nigh on impossible for even a fit person to climb up one the floating wood&rope ones, and if you're fat rather than fit don't bother. We have a bit of an ali extension ladder from a skip which I fitted hooks on so it can hang anywhere along the boat.

I would not rely on the thought of there always being someone else on board - m.o.b. is far more likely to occur in a lock or when the boat is moored, and in the latter case there may not be anyone else around. I suppose that a drop-down ladder could be useful in those circumstances, as even if the m.o.b didn't have the strength to climb it they could possible hang on with their head above water.

Tam

I carry a trampoline ladder I found in a skip. Not sure how good it is but as we also tow a small goat around it may not be required anyway. Its quite nicely designed with fairly wide steps.

Well I think its off a trampoline but it has 5 rungs and googling it doesn't find it so it might be something else :unsure:

This is the most similar thing I can find.

And I found it in a skip :huh:

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/plastimo-4-step-aluminium-boarding-ladder/p11072

Edited by magnetman

I carry a trampoline ladder I found in a skip. Not sure how good it is but as we also tow a small goat around it may not be required anyway. Its quite nicely designed with fairly wide steps.

Well I think its off a trampoline but it has 5 rungs and googling it doesn't find it so it might be something else unsure.png

This is the most similar thing I can find.

And I found it in a skip huh.png

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/plastimo-4-step-aluminium-boarding-ladder/p11072

I shouldn't think the goat thinks much to that!

Reported to the RSPCA. ninja.gif

Edited by Ray T