BFI Film Archive

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

For what it is worth, (and I can't guarantee its accuracy), Alan Faulkener's booklet "Willow Wren" suggests that in October 1963 John Henry Mees had Dipper (formerly Bristol) & Argo and that by 1968 when BW had repossessed many of the pairs they owned he was operating with Dipper and Hawkesbury, (so two motors rather than a motor/butty pair).

Further pictures in Narrow Boat magazine claimed as Summer 1964 also show John Henry Meese with Dipper and Argo.

He is not shown as an active Wren Steerer in a listing from 1962, although I'm not sure how accurate such lists are. It looks like he probably had Dipper for much of his service with Willow Wren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSV9VQDrHxM

Is the boat at four minutes belong to someone here?

I do believe Alan Fincher will be well impressed with that footage, nice to see Flamingo (Letchworth) working.

As to why its been called "there go the boats" is somewhat odd as there is a well known BW produced film of the same name.

The BW film contains entirely different footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSV9VQDrHxM

Is the boat at four minutes belong to someone here?

Absolutely, yes!

We are there twice, both in the Stoke Bruerne footage, and again afterwards in that filmed in the Marsworth Flight.

We consider ourselves very lucky to have access to even this short footage of "Flamingo's" days towards the end of Willow Wren CTS.

The photographer has pinpointed the date of the Stoke Bruerne film as 28th April 1968, but doesn't have a date for the second, but I think it is 1968 also, on the basis of it being same steerer (Ron Green) and butty ("Bideford").

By one of those really strange coincidences, Cath now Morris dances with someone who was on the holiday where this footage was shot, and also gave us a copy of this video independently, unaware it had already been put on You Tube by his friend.

EDITED TO ADD:

There is also a forum member in that You Tube clip, but in the stills rather than the video footage. The steerer taking the pair through Hillmorton locks is Tony Dunkley.

Edited by alan_fincher

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 04/08/2016 at 13:29, J R ALSOP said:

The brass rally plaque was for attending the opening of the Southern Stratford in 1964, Queen Mother opened it, I was there with Jupiter and Saturn.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-Canal-Boat-Plaque-IWA-National-Festival-1964/303680420461?hash=item46b4c37a6d%3Ag%3AcTwAAOSwlBVfV9wP&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

one for sale on e bay (not connected)

Edited by max's son