cookers, fridges etc sold with boat part of the price

MissMax

Featured Posts

If an, any item on a boat has a "negative" value then there's 2 options: 1) buy the boat with that item and adjust the price accordingly 2) ask for that item to be removed/replaced/fixed as a condition to the sale, with the price set suitably.

Here is seems to be applying to minging cookers and fridges but its like anything on a boat. For example, if the water tank was contaminated, or leaking (ie letting canal water into the tank, or letting domestic water into the boat) you could accept it as the condition of the boat and adjust the price accordingly (knowing that there will be work and cost to get the boat up to liveable condition), or insist that its repaired. Of course, the seller might say "No", or they might say "I'll fix it after you pay a deposit but before completion, but the price of the boat has just gone up".

At £15k max budget you're well into "project" boat area - you're NOT going to find a boat which everything works on, and doesn't need further work done/money spent on it. Whether that work is to replace a broken fridge and yukky cooker, or to replace 2/3 of the metal on the hull, or to replace all the rotten woodwork, or to replace all the batteries, or to redo all the wiring, or to fix/replace a non- or badly working engine; or a combination of all the items and more - is part of the skill in assessing the suitability of boats for sale. I think the dream of finding a £15k boat, then excepting insurance/mooring/licence, spending £0 (or even <£1000) on it, and it being immediately suitable for liveaboard is just that. Doesn't mean its not possible - some people have done it - lucky/good for them - but most haven't, and most older boats need work done/money spent on them to keep them in reasonable condition.

Reality has no place in this thread :(

Hi David. The owner misplaced the paper work and said they would email it to me when they find it

Reality has no place in this thread sad.png

Ever so kindly, I suggest you open your eyes and start thinking realistically. It would probably be better if you were disappointed now, rather than in a situation a few months down the line where you have (for example) bought a £15k boat in the summer, then in the wintertime its full of condensation and the solid fuel stove leaks like a sieve or falls apart, leaving you with no heating in a cold/damp boat; or sinks (yes, there's plenty of examples of people who have bought cheap boats and they've sunk shortly after purchase). A £15k boat WILL need further spending on it - an expert may be able to predict some of the short term expenses.

Hi OldGoat. I thought that boats were priced with the bits and bobs included and boats without it's bits of a similar size were priced accordingly.

Narrow boating does not make sense Grrrrr!

Think it would be easier to move into a underground volcano than work out this NB thing. sad.png

If you think buying a boat does not make sense try buying a caravan!

When you buy a second hand boat it comes with gas bottles, batteries, water tank, windlass, boat poles, gang plank etc.

Last year we bought a second hand caravan and "much to my surprise" it came without gas bottles, pig tails, battery, water tank, grey water tank, all the security devices had also been removed by the dealer.

You then get offered "managers specials" which include some of the items listed above. They also "generously" offered us 10% off that day if we purchased other "missing" items from their shop. One caravan / motorhome dealer in North Warwickshire does a rip roaring trade in second hand items,which are only about 25% cheaper than from buying new.

So from my experience be grateful you get a boat you can sail away in without having to purchase the necessities to live on board, excluding bed linen crockery etc.

Edited by Ray T

Reality has no place in this thread sad.png

Hi David. The owner misplaced the paper work and said they would email it to me when they find it

You wouldn't believe how many times that one comes up, especially when people are selling privately.

People have bought boats to find they are several feet shorter than described, or with a completely different (and knackered) engine, which may or may not have been installed in the boat at the time the sale was agreed.

Buyer beware!!!

Our boat cost £15K 5 years ago and we've probably spent about 3K - prop shaft, prop, engine realignment, new loo, mattress, flooring etc, plus an external repaint which we could have done ourselves but couldnt give the time needed. Its a 1990 boat. The 2 way 12v /240v fridge, hob and cooker aren't the prettiest and newest but they work well and are clean. Having priced up new ones- I can't justify the cost when the current ones work well even if they arent particularly pleasing to the eye. There are plenty of ongoing costs with a boat, its down to priorities really. Next priority is solar which will give us a benefit when cruising. A new cooker and fridge wouldnt really give us a benefit for the cost involved.

If anyone tried telling me to take such equipment ff the boat and then reduce the price they would be told where the exit is. I'd rahet give the boat away than sell it to a Rodney.

In fact I might agree to take them off and increase the price by a few hundred quid for my time and effort.

• Greenie 1

If anyone tried telling me to take such equipment ff the boat and then reduce the price they would be told where the exit is. I'd rahet give the boat away than sell it to a Rodney.

In fact I might agree to take them off and increase the price by a few hundred quid for my time and effort.

Ah a lovely old boating term. smile.png

But, did you know Barlow's Ltd had a boat called Rodney?

Not sure the Peaslands would have liked being called Rodneys! biggrin.png

Edited by Ray T

Exactly! No need to be rude. It is what it is and that's the asking price. If you think it's worth less, offer less? You don't have to justify why in anymore detail than that. The seller also doesn't have to justify the asking price. Try knocking 10-20% off, that should cover a few appliances. :)

The seller did email me back saying that they would knock £250 off the asking price as he couldn't find the paper work for the boat or the safety certs. I told him it was very nice of him to offer me a discount but i would need to get it surveyed and see it in the water before deciding if i wanted to buy, I was told that he hasn't got time to wait for all of that and i didn't need a survey to travel the canals and insurance is a waste of money.

I emailed him back declining his offer and wishing him all the best on the sale, his email back to me explained he wasn't happy with me and i didn't know what i was talking about as he has never been asked for insurance or a license, and that i am missing out on a good offer. I emailed him again and said that i wish him well in his sale and now he is sending me some very unhappy words.

I hadn't even asked for a discount, just looked at the boat and said i would think about it and give him call on Tuesday. The boat is on blocks in a yard so i don't even know if it floats :(

The seller did email me back saying that they would knock £250 off the asking price as he couldn't find the paper work for the boat or the safety certs. I told him it was very nice of him to offer me a discount but i would need to get it surveyed and see it in the water before deciding if i wanted to buy, I was told that he hasn't got time to wait for all of that and i didn't need a survey to travel the canals and insurance is a waste of money.

I emailed him back declining his offer and wishing him all the best on the sale, his email back to me explained he wasn't happy with me and i didn't know what i was talking about as he has never been asked for insurance or a license, and that i am missing out on a good offer. I emailed him again and said that i wish him well in his sale and now he is sending me some very unhappy words.

I hadn't even asked for a discount, just looked at the boat and said i would think about it and give him call on Tuesday. The boat is on blocks in a yard so i don't even know if it floats sad.png

"Dodged a bullet" there methinks.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

I hadn't even asked for a discount, just looked at the boat and said i would think about it and give him call on Tuesday. The boat is on blocks in a yard so i don't even know if it floats sad.png

I would have suggested that he worked for Tossrs'R'Us, but as you are evidently a lady of quality I would not wish to use offensive terms.

The boat was a bit early eighties and i don't think it had been used for a very very long time (cob webs dating back to BC). The chap was rather nice and and very happy to talk about his boating adventures

to France (not sure if it is true or not) but it would be like buying a car without seeing it working or getting it checked over.

I'lll stick to marinas :)

He's right about insurance being a waste of munny but it also happens to be mandatory. He doesn't seem to know this so can't be an experienced boater.

Or very experienced who thought he had found a mug. of course you don't need a licence if you don't have a BSC and insurance you get get one. A very lucky girl.

Officer Byrd looks in a book that prices cars on age and condition regardless of the expensive radio or gold rims

Thanks David i forgot about the BSS, but what if the items are really 'Icky' beyond bleach and elbow geese would it still pass?

If said bits are super " icky " then that suggests a poorly cared for boat and apropos the rest of said boat is probably badly cared for too ... Avoid said boat unless silly cheap and find one with less icky applicances ..( better cared for overall to avoid potential issues down the line )

Does this boat reside for sale at a certain marina beginning with W by chance ? as many boats there can be described as icky and poorly cared for by their owners .

not the necessarily the marina fault they sell them in the state the owner leaves them which in many cases is uber "icky "

A narrow escape me thinks!

Run, run fast, keep going and don't look back

Ignore his insulting emails and count your lucky stars that you didn't get lumbered!

It is buyer beware and you have no come back with a private seller unfortunately so at least if you buy from a marina, you do have somewhere to go if it all turns to cr*p

Good luck and happy boat hunting

Ignore his insulting emails

...which sound like a childish tantrum to me. "How dare you not buy my boat, you wotter, I'll thcream and thcream until I'm thick".

Let him go forth and multiply.

A narrow escape me thinks!

Run, run fast, keep going and don't look back

Ignore his insulting emails and count your lucky stars that you didn't get lumbered!

It is buyer beware and you have no come back with a private seller unfortunately so at least if you buy from a marina, you do have somewhere to go if it all turns to cr*p

Good luck and happy boat hunting

I do wish people wouldn't promote this twaddle. A marina is usually acting as a 'marriage broker' between buyer ans seller, in which case the buyer has no more protection than had they bought privately.