cookers, fridges etc sold with boat part of the price

MissMax

Featured Posts

Are cooker, fridges, beds sold with the boat part of the boat price? I'm asking as some boats that i have seen the look rather dated and unsafe, if i did purchase them can i ask for them to be

removed by the seller and to reduce the fee.

I am honestly not being a snob and i could always get more efficient fridges and cookers down the line, just that most of the ones i have seen are in a naughty state (did these people not know i was coming)

and i figure they are being left on board just to fill the space and save money taking them to the dump sad.png

If they are not really fit for purpose (IYO), they have no value or even negative value, so you couldn't reasonably expect a price reduction on the grounds that you don't want them. The quality of the fit out including the appliances is obviously one factor in determining the value/price of the whole boat though.

But if i tell the buyer i don't want them (they are not fit for purpose) are they still part of the sale price.

Thank you

There is no law or regulation controlling this so it is a matter of individual negotiation.

I have to say if I were flogging a boat I'd be far less incined to negotiate on the price if my potential buyer wanted me to remove and dispose of the cooker and fridge especially if built-in items.

You can use any negotiation strategy you like, so I guess it might be worth asking the question.

But imagine the situation was the other way round. If you were selling a boat, how would you react if someone asked to to keep an old fridge and mattress, and knock a few hundred off the price? There's a chance you could think, great, I need an old fridge and mattress; or you might think, expletive, now I've got the hassle and expense of getting rid of them, and they want to pay me less for the boat.

You lot are not telling me what i want to hear (i blame real life) Seems rather cheeky none the less to leave things behind and expect the next person to deal with it

I'm off to sulk with a Victoria sponge cake :(

if a boats fixtures look dated and unsafe i would pay extra attention to the parts of the boat you cant see, - fixtures can be replaced easily as long as the boat has a sound hull.

Thank you. I will look out for that

You lot are not telling me what i want to hear (i blame real life)

Well that's because you're asking the wrong question.

Try asking about batteries. We like battery questions. The answer is always "they are goosed, you haven't been charging them enough!".

Easy!!!

• Greenie 1

MissMax, on 30 Jul 2016 - 6:38 PM, said:

You lot are not telling me what i want to hear (i blame real life) Seems rather cheeky none the less to leave things behind and expect the next person to deal with it

I'm off to sulk with a Victoria sponge cake sad.png

Dear Lady,

If we told you what we wanted to hear - that, perhaps, would be pointless?

Better it would, to be sensible and tell it as it really is.

Question -

If you were buying an used car and didn't like the (added) seat covers - would you expect to have the price reduced without them?

Or more sensibly -

If you were buying a flat that came with grotty or not-suitable-to-you cooker and fridge would you apply the same tactic? I wonder

If you saw a boat without those feature already installed would you expect the seller to set the price as if it already had them??

Because it's a boat, folks seem to have a completely different set of rules / expectations.

Hi OldGoat. I thought that boats were priced with the bits and bobs included and boats without it's bits of a similar size were priced accordingly.

Narrow boating does not make sense Grrrrr!

Think it would be easier to move into a underground volcano than work out this NB thing. :(

Hi OldGoat. I thought that boats were priced with the bits and bobs included and boats without it's bits of a similar size were priced accordingly.

Narrow boating does not make sense Grrrrr!

Think it would be easier to move into a underground volcano than work out this NB thing. sad.png

The underground volcano really sounds like the ideal place for your photography work wink.png

Peter.

• Greenie 1

Where did you get that idea from?

My observations suggest NBs are priced according the the seller's inflated idea of what the boat is actually worth now. (Usually based on what they paid for it when it was ten years younger!)

• Greenie 1

Where did you get that idea from?

My observations suggest NBs are priced according the the seller's inflated idea of what the boat is actually worth now. (Usually based on what they paid for it when it was ten years younger!)

I watch Judge Judy (hold off with the mocking laughter, till you hear me out)

If you buy a car and do lots of upgrades then claim in court that you spent 5K on a £200 car, you would only get the actual value of the car which is £200

Please note this would all make sense in America

So how does Judge Judy determine the 'value' of the car?

I would imagine the same way as insurance companies and car dealers value cars over here, Glass's Guide or equivalent. Doesn't work for boats though, each one is almost unique.

So how does Judge Judy determine the 'value' of the car?

There's a book, similar to Glass's Guide in the UK, which is deemed as a definitive reference guide to the value of cars.

Are cooker, fridges, beds sold with the boat part of the boat price? I'm asking as some boats that i have seen the look rather dated and unsafe, if i did purchase them can i ask for them to be

removed by the seller and to reduce the fee.

I am honestly not being a snob and i could always get more efficient fridges and cookers down the line, just that most of the ones i have seen are in a naughty state (did these people not know i was coming)

and i figure they are being left on board just to fill the space and save money taking them to the dump sad.png

The vast majority of boats I've seen for sale have a cooker and fridge which are worth something. It might be that the fridge is worth £200 and doesn't have a freezer compartment (only a very small icebox thing, or possibly larder style none at all). Similarly, even a non-working cooker has a value since it might possibly be repaired/serviced/brought to working condition. A boat with no fridge; or cooker, would be valued slightly less than one with.

You are aware of the value of a reasonable 12V fridge, or a gas fridge, or an LPG cooker? (Which are typically found on canal boats). And also, that you can't just fit any old cooker, it needs to have flame failure device and run on LPG. Thus only a subset of domestic cookers are suitable for use on a boat.

Officer Byrd looks in a book that prices cars on age and condition regardless of the expensive radio or gold rims

Thanks David i forgot about the BSS, but what if the items are really 'Icky' beyond bleach and elbow geese would it still pass?

I would imagine the same way as insurance companies and car dealers value cars over here, Glass's Guide or equivalent. Doesn't work for boats though, each one is almost unique.

So no Glasses Guide for boats? My point exactly!

Officer Byrd looks in a book that prices cars on age and condition regardless of the expensive radio or gold rims

Thanks David i forgot about the BSS, but what if the items are really 'Icky' beyond bleach and elbow geese would it still pass?

Any appliance that complies with the safety requirement of the BSS will pass, irrespective of how tatty they might appear. However, if there is dirt or damage that compromises safety, I would expect it to fail.

Has the boat you are looking at got a current BSS certificate, it is one of the key questions you should ask when buying a boat.

If an, any item on a boat has a "negative" value then there's 2 options: 1) buy the boat with that item and adjust the price accordingly 2) ask for that item to be removed/replaced/fixed as a condition to the sale, with the price set suitably.

Here is seems to be applying to minging cookers and fridges but its like anything on a boat. For example, if the water tank was contaminated, or leaking (ie letting canal water into the tank, or letting domestic water into the boat) you could accept it as the condition of the boat and adjust the price accordingly (knowing that there will be work and cost to get the boat up to liveable condition), or insist that its repaired. Of course, the seller might say "No", or they might say "I'll fix it after you pay a deposit but before completion, but the price of the boat has just gone up".

At £15k max budget you're well into "project" boat area - you're NOT going to find a boat which everything works on, and doesn't need further work done/money spent on it. Whether that work is to replace a broken fridge and yukky cooker, or to replace 2/3 of the metal on the hull, or to replace all the rotten woodwork, or to replace all the batteries, or to redo all the wiring, or to fix/replace a non- or badly working engine; or a combination of all the items and more - is part of the skill in assessing the suitability of boats for sale. I think the dream of finding a £15k boat, then excepting insurance/mooring/licence, spending £0 (or even <£1000) on it, and it being immediately suitable for liveaboard is just that. Doesn't mean its not possible - some people have done it - lucky/good for them - but most haven't, and most older boats need work done/money spent on them to keep them in reasonable condition.

• Greenie 1