Can these electric outboards power a narrowboat?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Re engine size, I have propelled a 32ft narrowboat with a Honda 10hp, stopping and starting with no problem, on canals. I have since fitted a newer Honda 20hp with high thrust prop, for a couple of reasons, it has a bigger alternator/charging coil and I like to go on rivers, tidal links etc.. I have a rudder plate but haven't fitted it yet, the engine seems to have the power to send the boat where I want to go. Good luck with it.

Used to get shouted at with Atalanta 70 ft butty when using 10 horse Honda outboard ( too fast) in the early 1980s. Of course it was wash less . Stopping required anticipation and challenging in wind getting off bank. A picture of her was published at the time in the canal press with derisory comments.. Nothing changes. We fitted the 10hp after initial experiments with a 2 hp which proved the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, apologies for not replying sooner. I'm going to do some practical experiments to see what i can find out.

in still conditions you could power the Queen Mary with a 2hp outboard or a 100lb electric trolling motor. it will move, eventually.

doesn't make it practical though.;

What about the tide?