Are single-handers the pariahs of the system?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

It would have been more efficient for Jeff to go ahead and make sure the next lock up was ready for him, ie empty with bottom gates open.

That way all he has to do once up is open gate, drop paddles, take boat out, close gate and then scoot into next lock to repeat, leaving the way clear for you to your superquick stuff.

boat.gif

exactly what i was thinking - the real time saving is not having to get off to open up - especially with low pounds

Not sure if you've ever done the 16 on your own Nick but it isn't the easiest flight to single hand with the aforementioned low pounds, the gate that opens by itself, no handrails on most of the bottom gates (i wont wank across them in the rain and i'm not overly cautious), the anti vandal locks (darn it down the ladder for the key). They are also deep so as well as the ladder to climb, if there's no one on the boat you need to start the paddle slow when filling

Wait till the day you're behind me matey, then you'll know about waiting ;)

That was Audlem. There were only our two boats on Stourbridge.

For Audlem, if it were me I'd let a boat past ever lock or two, that would restore the flow rate to normal.

Just out of interest, how many times have you stopped at every lock, or even every other lock, to allow another boat to pass you?

You probably want to update your auto-correct, LoneWolf.

Not sure if you've ever done the 16 on your own Nick but it isn't the easiest flight to single hand with the aforementioned low pounds, the gate that opens by itself, no handrails on most of the bottom gates (i wont wank across them in the rain and i'm not overly cautious), the anti vandal locks (darn it down the ladder for the key). They are also deep so as well as the ladder to climb, if there's no one on the boat you need to start the paddle slow when filling

I feel perhaps you should check your spelling here, LW!

ohmy.png

I feel perhaps you should check your spelling here, LW!

ohmy.png

oi cheeky!

give us a clue eh? my spelling is very bad and i wont notice letters in the wrong order - i rely on the wiggly line which may have stopped working

ETA: spotted it - ha ha ha ! i'm gonna leave that in

Edited by LoneWolf

Unless something's a bit odd, if a crew of 2 are behind a singlehander and genuinely go and help, it should speed the boat in front up potentially faster (with 2 people) than the boat behind (which has now lost its crew); however backsetting the locks (ie cooperation) will make a significant difference too. If the singlehander is being needlessly slow/cautious then its probably fair enough to let them pass but its not an obligation. Did you ask nicely, or suggest it? Of course, if the singlehander lets the boat go past, they'll 1) have lost the potential help and 2) pretty much guaranteed to have all the locks set against them then 3) will have had to wait 10 mins doing nothing for the boat behind to actually physically catch up (laws of physics).

Also.....I've found there is an inevitible delay, even if only slight, if on a busy flight there's boats coming in the opposite direction. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't speed things up and phrases like "aaah good timing!" when you wait for the boat etc are incorrect! If there is an oncoming boat, there is an inevitible delay between the gates opening and the lock being available (due to them getting into, and/or out of it). And you can't fill the lock at full speed either. But so what? You get to chat to them, share stories, ask about moorings ahead, the weather etc etc. And it kinda levels things out between the boats coming the other way.

I guess when you're used to doing locks a certain way, at a certain pace, then being forced to do them slower or a different way (ie a crew member helping the singlehander in front) is going to feel a bit odd.

Well let me be clear, nothing against single handers per se in fact I are one sometimes. No, I am talking about single handers who embark on a big flight of locks and hold everyone else up whilst doing a good impression of a slomo action replay.

We had this starting out up Audlem, a single hander went all the way up about 5 boats in front of us. Everyone was bottle necked and each lock took about twice as long as it needed to. Of course for the last few locks once the blockage had exited the flight, we and everyone else flew up.

Then today, we turn onto the Stourbridge at Stewpony, 4 lovely locks on our own then Bxxxx, as we approach Stourbridge 16 bottom, a single hander goes in in front of us. All 16 locks in his favour, just one opposite direction boat, and yet it still takes him 3:50 to do the flight despite Jeff opening each top gate for him, lowering the top paddles and closing his gate behind him. It would have taken us 2 hrs. On off rain didn't help my frustration as I had to wait at least 5 mins for each lock. Grrrr. His every action, step and thought were all done at 1/2 normal speed. God only knows how long it would have taken him if the locks had been against him!

The biscuit was taken when he stopped just coming out of the lock to go down the weed hatch to remove some wire - apparently we were just supposed to wait whilst he fixed his boat in the lock. More Grrr.

Yup, selfish and inconsiderate people should be banned from the waterways especially if they are single handed (and presumably thus because they are too self-obsessed to be tolerated by any potential company).

Wasnt me then im up most peoples ass threw locks im a bit slower on wide locks but give me a flight at Birmingham and im like a duck in water.

But i know what you mean we had a guy like this a week ago 1/2 a paddle up and the leak from the other gates ment it took a good 15 mins to fill the last 3 inches and he refused all help.

If it gets like this and im not in a flight i just tie up and make a tea and prep dinner

Just out of interest, how many times have you stopped at every lock, or even every other lock, to allow another boat to pass you?.

I generally only single hand on Curdworth and Atherstone. The former is rarely busy but I have let boats pass on a couple of occasions. On Atherstone I recall offering to let a boat past if I was holding them up, but in the event I went faster than them due to all the locks being in my favour, so they never caught up.

On something like Audlem in the middle of the day in July I'd be a bit uncomfortable single handing up the whole flight because I would be bound to be holding up lots of people, so I'd let them past from time to time as I said, although it has never actually happened.

Not sure if you've ever done the 16 on your own Nick but it isn't the easiest flight to single hand with the aforementioned low pounds, the gate that opens by itself, no handrails on most of the bottom gates (i wont walk across them in the rain and i'm not overly cautious), the anti vandal locks (darn it down the ladder for the key). They are also deep so as well as the ladder to climb, if there's no one on the boat you need to start the paddle slow when filling

Wait till the day you're behind me matey, then you'll know about waiting ;)

Yes it's not the easiest flight to single hand for all the reasons you give. All the more reason not to hold everyone else up.

I note that Nick said it was raining some of the time. Now I like many singlehanders take pride in being able to work locks slickly and at least as fast as many crews of 2, and rather faster than some. But in the rain, if I do locks at all, it's at half speed - too many slips and near misses have given me some scares, and wet locksides and steps used more by singlehanders are not to be rushed. If I really thought I was holding people up I would moor up until the rush was over, if it was allowed in a flight, but in fact I've never had to do it yet.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Maybe it is a race - BCN Challenge? Maybe we had some disaster and are running out of time to get our flights home, missing them will cost us £400.

Let's be clear, we did help him extensively and he demonstrably wasn't bullied out of the way, however the decent thing would have been for him to offer to let us go past rather than presuming he had the God given right to hold us up and be helped on his way for 3:50.

Rather off the beaten track for the BCN Challenge eh? you said you were delayed 5 mins per lock so that's 1.5 hours delay. So what? Our boats are not exactly fast transport right?

Did you have a disaster and about to miss your flights? If not rather a hypothetical scenario don't you think? If you were about to miss flights you should find a safe place to moor the boat and get a taxi to the airport.

As I said higher up the thread in some circumstances it may be best to allow folk to come by but I don't think it is good etiquette to always do that. In a flight of locks it is first come first served and when there are queues the best way to keep things moving is for everyone to pitch in. If you did that then that's good but I don't think anyone need get out of the way because someone else is able/wants to go faster.

Rather off the beaten track for the BCN Challenge eh? you said you were delayed 5 mins per lock so that's 1.5 hours delay. So what? Our boats are not exactly fast transport right?

Did you have a disaster and about to miss your flights? If not rather a hypothetical scenario don't you think? If you were about to miss flights you should find a safe place to moor the boat and get a taxi to the airport.

As I said higher up the thread in some circumstances it may be best to allow folk to come by but I don't think it is good etiquette to always do that. In a flight of locks it is first come first served and when there are queues the best way to keep things moving is for everyone to pitch in. If you did that then that's good but I don't think anyone need get out of the way because someone else is able/wants to go faster.

It's not a hypothetical scenario, it's an example of why people are sometimes on a schedule. If you have never been on a schedule well lucky for you but it would be arrogant to presume or dictate that no-one may be on a schedule around you. The crux of my point is that in this world one should be able to do as one wishes, at whatever speed one likes, PROVIDED those choices don't negatively impinge on others. Otherwise one is being selfish.

The only Pariahs on the system are those that constantly moan about others.

Does that include people who moan about people who moan?

We have often "carried" single handers through wide locks with little or no help and that can be very annoying.

But on two such occasions recently, the first I discovered the young chap in question had, literally, just split with his girlfriend of four years and was clearly upset, the second older guy explained that he was recently widowed and finding it hard to cope on his own.

So I conclude it's best not to be too judgmental about the person holding you up, it might be a case of there but for the grace of God.

Being on the rivers and canals is all about slowing life down, if you're in a rush go and help them out in the lock! You never know you might even make a friend smile.png

Edited by Greg_F

Being on the rivers and canals is all about slowing life down, if you're in a rush go and help them out in the lock! You never know you might even make a friend :)

Nick's other half helped out and said the bloke was lovely, whilst Nick just boiled a kettle on his head.

When I single hand as "pusher tug" for "my" historic narrowboat captain I am unable to go very fast at all. captain.gif

Photo courtesy of Leo No. 2

So those on the tow path will have to be patient.

Edited by Ray T

Being on the rivers and canals is all about slowing life down, if you're in a rush go and help them out in the lock! You never know you might even make a friend :)

In your opinion it is all about slowing your life down but please don't be so arrogant as to force that viewpoint on everybody else. You want to dawdle? Fine, but I might want to rush. It wasn't a matter of helping him in THE lock, it was a matter of helping him in 16 locks one after the other, and despite that it still took around twice as long as we would have taken. Earlier in the year we raced down Tardibigge in a really good time (cant remember what it was now) and had a great sense of satisfaction at the bottom. That was in April before those who take pride in holding others up were out of their winter hibernation.

Perhaps if I mention that the chap was on his way to the IWA rally at Pelsall I'll get more sympathy! Well that is presuming he makes it in time, he's only got 4 weeks or so to go!

Did you get any sympathy from Jeff?

In your opinion it is all about slowing your life down but please don't be so arrogant as to force that viewpoint on everybody else. You want to dawdle? Fine, but I might want to rush. It wasn't a matter of helping him in THE lock, it was a matter of helping him in 16 locks one after the other, and despite that it still took around twice as long as we would have taken. Earlier in the year we raced down Tardibigge in a really good time (cant remember what it was now) and had a great sense of satisfaction at the bottom. That was in April before those who take pride in holding others up were out of their winter hibernation.

So just ask to over-take?

It's not a hypothetical scenario, it's an example of why people are sometimes on a schedule. If you have never been on a schedule well lucky for you but it would be arrogant to presume or dictate that no-one may be on a schedule around you. The crux of my point is that in this world one should be able to do as one wishes, at whatever speed one likes, PROVIDED those choices don't negatively impinge on others. Otherwise one is being selfish.

Good luck with the world fitting in with your wishes.

So was your "example" real or not?

• Greenie 1