Are single-handers the pariahs of the system?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

The system is not there for your pleasure only so if someone is slower in front of you then and they are slower be they single or mob handed you just have to suck it up and relax.

There is an alternative! The slower boat does the decent thing and allows the faster to over take.

• Greenie 3

<Snip> ...despite Jeff opening each top gate for him, lowering the top paddles and closing his gate behind him.

It would have been more efficient for Jeff to go ahead and make sure the next lock up was ready for him, ie empty with bottom gates open.

That way all he has to do once up is open gate, drop paddles, take boat out, close gate and then scoot into next lock to repeat, leaving the way clear for you to your superquick stuff.

boat.gif

Get a caravan and get stuck behind Mr and Mrs Pootle, get the blame too. No better on the M4 than the A303, he'll be doing 50 in the middle lane so you can't get by. Ban flat capped drivers and helmsmen!

All drivers and helms with untiled bald pates are a menace, they reflect back the suns rays and blind you.

It would have been more efficient for Jeff to go ahead and make sure the next lock up was ready for him, ie empty with bottom gates open.

That way all he has to do once up is open gate, drop paddles, take boat out, close gate and then scoot into next lock to repeat, leaving the way clear for you to your superquick stuff.

:boat:

The locks on this flight are mostly very close together and so for quite a few of them he opened the gates ahead whilst the lock was filling so he could drive straight in. Nevertheless it was an incredibly slow process.

I was making a comment as my post said. You made yours I made mine.

The system is not there for your pleasure only so if someone is slower in front of you then and they are slower be they single or mob handed you just have to suck it up and relax.

The system is not there for our pleasure only, however when we use it we try not to diminish other's pleasure and will always wave a faster boat past, although this rarely happens in lock flights since I can't think of an occasion when we've been the slower boat. Except if I'm single handing when I will and have pulled aside to let a faster boat go ahead.

There is an alternative! The slower boat does the decent thing and allows the faster to over take.

In an extreme case that may be necessary but when faced with a lock flight and several boats who want to go up or down at once could mean the slower boat never going anywhere all day.

It is not a race. if everyone helps each other then everyone can get up perhaps not at optimal speed but it is the logical and more social thing to do. To be bullied out of the way by someone who can go faster and thinks they have a right to is I think a selfish viewpoint. But I suppose the more modern attitude.

To be bullied out of the way by someone who can go faster and thinks they have a right to is I think a selfish viewpoint.

Surely no more selfish than bullying people into going at the speed you would prefer them to go at rather than letting them past?

• Greenie 1

if he had pulled over to wave you on would all the locks then been against him? however i do agree he should of let you by - i dont drive slow but when i am in the loaded van and have cars up my rear i often pull over to let them past then continue.

We had the same issue on a flight a couple of years ago. We asked if we could overtake a slow single hander, on the premise that we would open a paddle for him at each lock so that he wasn't disadvantaged.

He was quite happy with that, and in the end we opened the gates for him as well, so it was a win-win situation.

Edited by billS

In an extreme case that may be necessary but when faced with a lock flight and several boats who want to go up or down at once could mean the slower boat never going anywhere all day.

It is not a race. if everyone helps each other then everyone can get up perhaps not at optimal speed but it is the logical and more social thing to do. To be bullied out of the way by someone who can go faster and thinks they have a right to is I think a selfish viewpoint. But I suppose the more modern attitude.

Maybe it is a race - BCN Challenge? Maybe we had some disaster and are running out of time to get our flights home, missing them will cost us £400.

Let's be clear, we did help him extensively and he demonstrably wasn't bullied out of the way, however the decent thing would have been for him to offer to let us go past rather than presuming he had the God given right to hold us up and be helped on his way for 3:50.

Let's be clear, we did help him extensively and he demonstrably wasn't bullied out of the way, however the decent thing would have been for him to offer to let us go past rather than presuming he had the God given right to hold us up and be helped on his way for 3:50.

But did you ask him if he would let you past?

Pariah. Noun. an outcast.

synonyms: persona non grata, leper, reject, untouchable, undesirable; (rare) unperson

The answer to your question NickNorman is No.

Thank you for clearing that one up so concisely - and yet with such little illumination.

Look on the bright side, Nick, you and jeff will be able to help him up Delph too and that will give you a nice cosy warm feeling :-)

Haggis

He started up Delph having told us he was stopping at the top of the 16. I was all for tying up and going to the pub but then it transpired he was tying up in the little basin after the 1st lock so - JOY! - we romped up the Delph in quick time. Edited by nicknorman

But did you ask him if he would let you past?

I was on the boat, Jeff going ahead so I didn't speak to him. To start with Jeff was saying " Oh but he's such a lovely man". However that had worn rathe thin after 2:00 or so and especially after we had to wait for him to clear his prop 1/2 in and 1/2 out of a full lock.

You said there were 5 boats in front of you. Was he obliged to let them all past?

I was on the boat, Jeff going ahead so I didn't speak to him. To start with Jeff was saying " Oh but he's such a lovely man". However that had worn rathe thin after 2:00 or so and especially after we had to wait for him to clear his prop 1/2 in and 1/2 out of a full lock.

Oh well, it seems that a bit of communication might have saved you a lot of frustration. So no - the guy is not a pariah. If you had asked him, and he had refused, then perhaps I could understand your frustration. As it is I can't really see the reason for your complaint.

You said there were 5 boats in front of you. Was he obliged to let them all past?

in the second instance, there was only the one slow boat in front if I understand the complaint correctly.

Pariah. Noun. an outcast.

synonyms: persona non grata, leper, reject, untouchable, undesirable; (rare) unperson

The answer to your question NickNorman is No.

To which I would add a further meaning: a type of dog.

I used to co-write an attempted Private Eye-style news column for my college newspaper under the name of "Pariah", and quite enjoyed the anonymity.

What is an "unperson"?

That was Audlem. There were only our two boats on Stourbridge.

For Audlem, if it were me I'd let a boat past ever lock or two, that would restore the flow rate to normal.