Are single-handers the pariahs of the system?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

As someone else has said, it confused some boaters we met who were coming down the flight!

It definitely confused one boater we met who tried to pass between the two breasted up boats

Richard

Second time I did this the other boater was Trevor Maggs on Corona, only I didn't know him or his history. I just thought he looked a bit feeble to be doing the locks! Little did I know! It took him about 30 secs to think about it before he agreed. So he steered and I worked the locks, Trevor doing his side once in the lock and me closing up after on both sides.

He's 83 today (no, yesterday technically) and still singlehanding. And still faster than many crewed boats.

Ike (think thats right) who use to own amy the pup was on of the fastest single handers i knew. You could have a crew of 5 and still only just keep up.

Saying that think we took 2 boats by surprise today as got into the lock wife shut one gate while i stopped the boat and shut the other she walked down and raised the paddles by this time gates were shut i was back on and had boat in gear (waited till the boat had tuched the gates not just rammed them) gates opening by themselfs she wound paddles down and we were out with her back on.

Bloke on one side came to help but didnt do anything guy on other side turned up by time he had tied up he then went to help on the lock he got to the bow of his boat then had to turn around and untie. I know is only a shallow lock but both seamed quite surprised how quick we were threw

Ike (think thats right) who use to own amy the pup was on of the fastest single handers i knew. You could have a crew of 5 and still only just keep up.

Saying that think we took 2 boats by surprise today as got into the lock wife shut one gate while i stopped the boat and shut the other she walked down and raised the paddles by this time gates were shut i was back on and had boat in gear (waited till the boat had tuched the gates not just rammed them) gates opening by themselfs she wound paddles down and we were out with her back on.

Bloke on one side came to help but didnt do anything guy on other side turned up by time he had tied up he then went to help on the lock he got to the bow of his boat then had to turn around and untie. I know is only a shallow lock but both seamed quite surprised how quick we were threw

I shared a few wide locks with Ike Argent in "Amy the Pup" coming back from Chester once in the early to mid 90's.

As you say very quick and efficient.

He used a rope with a hook on it to tie his boat to the bottom gate and left it in gear. As the lock filled or emptied the boat moved but never once touched the gate. Impressive stuff as he seemed to know exactly how long to set the rope for each lock.