Are single-handers the pariahs of the system?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Well let me be clear, nothing against single handers per se in fact I are one sometimes. No, I am talking about single handers who embark on a big flight of locks and hold everyone else up whilst doing a good impression of a slomo action replay.

We had this starting out up Audlem, a single hander went all the way up about 5 boats in front of us. Everyone was bottle necked and each lock took about twice as long as it needed to. Of course for the last few locks once the blockage had exited the flight, we and everyone else flew up.

Then today, we turn onto the Stourbridge at Stewpony, 4 lovely locks on our own then Bxxxx, as we approach Stourbridge 16 bottom, a single hander goes in in front of us. All 16 locks in his favour, just one opposite direction boat, and yet it still takes him 3:50 to do the flight despite Jeff opening each top gate for him, lowering the top paddles and closing his gate behind him. It would have taken us 2 hrs. On off rain didn't help my frustration as I had to wait at least 5 mins for each lock. Grrrr. His every action, step and thought were all done at 1/2 normal speed. God only knows how long it would have taken him if the locks had been against him!

The biscuit was taken when he stopped just coming out of the lock to go down the weed hatch to remove some wire - apparently we were just supposed to wait whilst he fixed his boat in the lock. More Grrr.

Yup, selfish and inconsiderate people should be banned from the waterways especially if they are single handed (and presumably thus because they are too self-obsessed to be tolerated by any potential company).

Edited by nicknorman

You should have visited the bonded warehouse at the bottom of the arm, or stopped between the fourth and fifth locks and visited the glass cone, or stopped a few locks below the top for a pint at the Samson & Lion. It's a wonderful flight of locks and you let someone spoil it for you.

JP

• Greenie 1

I often single hand when swmbo has to rest, but I enjoy getting a shift on, doing things efficiently. It's often crewed up dayboats from hebden bridge that clutter the cut round here.

Not me, when I boat I don't hang around, often catching crewed boats up and helping them through the locks.

Help is often appreciated but rarely needed and I dont hold people up, if they are faster I let em through.

Yeabut you don't do the slomo, more like the time-lapse!

"If you are in a rush what are you doing on the canal?"

captain.gif

If this guy had been rushing round like a blue a***d fly and done something silly, I bet he would have received criticism for that.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

You should have visited the bonded warehouse at the bottom of the arm, or stopped between the fourth and fifth locks and visited the glass cone, or stopped a few locks below the top for a pint at the Samson & Lion. It's a wonderful flight of locks and you let someone spoil it for you.

JP

I know but I'd catastrophised it so the if we'd have stopped for a bit, he'd have done the same as he was hooked on Jeff's help. It is a lovely flight and he didn't totally spoil it but my frustration gradually grew over the 3:50.

"If you are in a rush what are you doing on the canal?"

:captain:

Canals are for rushing. They were the motorways of their time.

Interesting one this, when part of a well crewed boat wanting to get somewhere (ie.the pub) I have often been frustrated by slower boaters, but equally everyone should be allowed to go at their own pace. Perhaps he wasn't confident doing locks alone and maybe appreciated having you around? The idea of banning seems a tad draconian ?

I know but I'd catastrophised it so the if we'd have stopped for a bit, he'd have done the same as he was hooked on Jeff's help. It is a lovely flight and he didn't totally spoil it but my frustration gradually grew over the 3:50.

Canals are for rushing. They were the motorways of their time.

Of their time was the 1850's to approx late 1950's, not now. Is your historical knowledge that lacking? ninja.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_motorway

Edited by Ray T

Interesting one this, when part of a well crewed boat wanting to get somewhere (ie.the pub) I have often been frustrated by slower boaters, but equally everyone should be allowed to go at their own pace. Perhaps he wasn't confident doing locks alone and maybe appreciated having you around? The idea of banning seems a tad draconian

Yes everyone should be allowed to go at their own pace. But that is not same as saying everyone must go as slowly as the slowest boat.

I'm sure he did appreciate us being around but so does anyone who wants something from someone else.

Banning was my second go at it. The first one was public execution.

• Greenie 2

As the other single handers here have noted, we can work locks just as quickly and efficiently as some crewed boats and often catch them up. So it isn't really a question of being single handed. It's just a fact that some can work through locks quicker than others

Anyway, being slow is one thing, being inconsiderate to others is another thing entirely.

If you find having to wait 5 mins at a lock becomes too frustrating, maybe you should sell the boat, buy a caravan and tow it up and down the A303. Even though you will be doing your best to make progress while obeying the rules, you will soon lose count of how many other motorists think you are being inconsiderate.

Hahaha OK a frustrating day I see!

I would like to think I would let a boat overtake if I was single handing a flight and much slower than the following boat, but it must be tempting to keep at it.

Nick is very clearly bored.

Perhaps if you took a bit more time at the boating thing you'd have less time to spend on the internet winding people up?

Some people are slower than others. I have 3 comments.

1. No single handers are not the pariah of the system.

2. Everyone needs to go at the pace they feel safe at.

3. Did any one offer to help? (it may have quickened things up if those waiting and moaning did so)

Not me, when I boat I don't hang around, often catching crewed boats up and helping them through the locks.

Help is often appreciated but rarely needed and I dont hold people up, if they are faster I let em through.

Ditto smile.png

For me, the frustrating thing about singlehanding is theres simply no opportunity in a flight of locks to set ahead. So flights dont offer the timesaving available to crewed boats, compared to single locks not in a flight.

If I were holding someone up I'd let them pass - and have done.

If you find having to wait 5 mins at a lock becomes too frustrating, maybe you should sell the boat.

5 mins per lock, x 16 locks is 1:30 spent hovering mid channel due to low pounds with shallow sides. I can think of better ways to pass my time.

Nick is very clearly bored.Perhaps if you took a bit more time at the boating thing you'd have less time to spend on the internet winding people up?

Bored? Yes, from hanging about for 1:30 looking at the back end of the slow boat to China.

3. Did any one offer to help? (it may have quickened things up if those waiting and moaning did so)

Yes. If you'd actually read my post you would have noted that.

If I were holding someone up I'd let them pass - and have done.

Me too. Although as has been said, I've sometimes pulled away from folk behind due to locks in my favour and of course locks for the boat behind needing to be turned. But the I don't do everything in slomo.

Get a caravan and get stuck behind Mr and Mrs Pootle, get the blame too. No better on the M4 than the A303, he'll be doing 50 in the middle lane so you can't get by. Ban flat capped drivers and helmsmen!

Yes. If you'd actually read my post you would have noted that.

I was making a comment as my post said. You made yours I made mine.

The system is not there for your pleasure only so if someone is slower in front of you then and they are slower be they single or mob handed you just have to suck it up and relax.

We've only ever come across 2 boats moving slower than us. Guess that means we move pretty slow, but thankfully we do tend to keep an eye out for boats behind and pull over to let them pass on straight sections. ninja.gif

On flights, well we do what we can, if there are ponds large enough to let them pass, if not, then we just try to do as fast as we can.boat.gif