Rudder design to prevent getting caught up.

Featured Posts

How about putting rollers at the edge of the cills instead ..... okay it would take a decade or ten to implement but while CRT have the lock empty to repair/replace the gate they could install a roller that allowed a boat hung on the cill to gently ease forwards as water level drops

How about boaters applying a bit of common sense and keeping the boat well forward? It doesn't take much.

Dave

Common sense is sadly not very common these days I'm afraid....hence we must have signs....railings and sundry other things to protect ourselves from things that have been fine for a couple of hundred years......it's truly amazing the human being isn't extinct.

(As an aside I was told by a boater on very shiny boat last week that lock flights confused them....this as they dumped me firmly on the bottom as they turned the lock against me on a short pound despite my vocal efforts that the lock was in my favour.......)

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

How about boaters applying a bit of common sense and keeping the boat well forward? It doesn't take much.

Dave

Go easy dave

How about putting rollers at the edge of the cills instead ..... okay it would take a decade or ten to implement but while CRT have the lock empty to repair/replace the gate they could install a roller that allowed a boat hung on the cill to gently ease forwards as water level drops

And they could have curved rollers on curved cills

Common sense is sadly not very common these days I'm afraid....

Cheers

Gareth

On the GU five years back a descending boat sank in a lock. The hirer thought she had to stay behind the cill marker. The result was almost inevitable.

A schilling rudder would have horizonthal plates on top and bottom of rudder, this to keep the water on the rudder plate and not spill over (so much) at large rudder angles, Can think the lower plate can get stuck in the mud if shallow water.

I sometimes feel there is something on the rudder when going down in the locks, and reverse back to get the gates open. and there is gravel/mud below the cill in the lock

A schilling rudder would have horizonthal plates on top and bottom of rudder, this to keep the water on the rudder plate and not spill over (so much) at large rudder angles, Can think the lower plate can get stuck in the mud if shallow water.

I sometimes feel there is something on the rudder when going down in the locks, and reverse back to get the gates open. and there is gravel/mud below the cill in the lock

A shilling rudder - that sounds like some sort of old bargain basement boat fitting used as an alternative to a kitchen rudder.

I have seen rudders with a piece of angle iron welded on the trailing edge (like one in pic.) Is this a form of Schilling rubber? What are the advantages of this angle iron approach?

Thanks.

post-910-0-06357400-1471372065_thumb.jpg

can have a schilling rudder with or without the "fish tail" it is the airfoil that make the schilling, more expencive to make but when they are don they are no more problem then other fixed plate rudders, Dalslandias is 25% thick, with a slight fish tail. http://www.marineoffshore.net/communities/4/004/010/356/784/images/4572613890.jpg

Edited by Dalslandia