Winter moorings?

Gareth E

Featured Posts

Hopefully there will be none offered, then us CCers will have a chance of mooring on a VM for a couple of weeks here and there...

I was going to respond to this but then decided it's clearly a wind up so won't rise to the bait :)

I've not had a winter mooring nor need one in the foreseeable, however I've kept my eye on things- has the price increased dramatically? I was quite certain a couple of years ago it was under £600 for the whole winter period (57' boat) now its that for just one month? Is this because of arguments from marinas or did I possibly read things wrong a couple of years ago?

I've not had a winter mooring nor need one in the foreseeable, however I've kept my eye on things- has the price increased dramatically? I was quite certain a couple of years ago it was under £600 for the whole winter period (57' boat) now its that for just one month? Is this because of arguments from marinas or did I possibly read things wrong a couple of years ago?

Not quite. The cheapest is £6.50 per metre per month and the most expensive £15. So your 57ft boat would be just over £250.

We won't be paying it though. On the assumption that all visitor moorings will again be 14 days over the winter we shall keep cruising.

Edited by pearley

Im looking into it as i have work to be done and the area my dad will walk past her every day and i drive past at least 3 times a week.

We drive past the boat at least 2 times a week + weekends to keep an eye on her we dont always go on just walk past that way no one knows weve been but we know whats going on

So i dont have to wake up in my floating freezer fill the engine with water till my hands get frost bite move 160934cm tie up and drain the engine and go back to enjoying my new surroundings of the new neighbours running there genny till 8pm every day for 2 weeks then repeating it all again to then find the next 200kcm section already full or rusting / rotting hulks all in my sodding way tied where i want to be finding myself mile from any pub where i can atleast steal there heat for 5 mins.

Just to then find someone comes a ties as close as pos to you who then insists watching tv at full pelt to drown out my wireless thats can only find radio 4 or a 24 broadcast of the archers at a preset volume and there genny they put outside my monstrosity as they dont want it near them. To find im in the wrong and shouldnt have tied there for asking them to move it or turn it off.

Or i can get ripped off a little knowing i dont have piss around in the freezing temperatures drinking my warm coco with my slippers on.

Edited by billybobbooth

So i dont have to wake up in my floating freezer fill the engine with water till my hands get frost bite move 160934cm tie up and drain the engine and go back to enjoying my new surroundings of the new neighbours running there genny till 8pm every day for 2 weeks then repeating it all again to then find the next 200kcm section already full or rusting / rotting hulks all in my sodding way tied where i want to be finding myself mile from any pub where i can atleast steal there heat for 5 mins.

Just to then find someone comes a ties as close as pos to you who then insists watching tv at full pelt to drown out my wireless thats can only find radio 4 or a 24 broadcast of the archers at a preset volume and there genny they put outside my monstrosity as they dont want it near them. To find im in the wrong and shouldnt have tied there for asking them to move it or turn it off.

Or i can get ripped off a little knowing i dont have piss around in the freezing temperatures drinking my warm coco with my slippers on.

I know that's tongue in cheek, but everything you described could still happen on a winter mooring, you still have to go and get water, still have noisey neighbours, and still have to heat your boat.

There are quite a few changes to last year's list.

I had been thinking of taking one for at least one month, being quite close to services/pump out, but as that location doesn't feature this year, I may as well just cruise.

There are quite a few changes to last year's list.

I had been thinking of taking one for at least one month, being quite close to services/pump out, but as that location doesn't feature this year, I may as well just cruise.

you mean 2 weeks surely because you can stay there for 2 weeks free anyway.

What is the purpose of winter moorings ?

The people I know who have taken one, are elderly even by boater standards, and not as spriteley as once they were.

When we have a 'bad' winter, they feel that taking a mooring legitimately takes the pressure off them to keep moving at a time when conditions could be risky.

I believe it's right that they are available for those that wish to make use of them.

Rog

Yes, that's right GoodGurl. At which rate, the £15/metre is more than a tad expensive. Also if you want to stay on a particular VM for free for 14 days, those 14 days don't have to fall in a single calendar month, which they do if you want to pay to stay on a particular WM.

The more you look at the terms, the less attractive the CRT WM's become. I suppose the only thing you would have is the ability to book a particular location in advance, rather than it being first come, first served.

Have we had it confirmed yet that this coming winter VM's will all be 14 days unless specifically signed otherwise?

The people I know who have taken one, are elderly even by boater standards, and not as spriteley as once they were.

When we have a 'bad' winter, they feel that taking a mooring legitimately takes the pressure off them to keep moving at a time when conditions could be risky.

I believe it's right that they are available for those that wish to make use of them.

Rog

If conditions are unsafe you don't have to move on. CRT are not allowed to rent the towpath out anyway.

I know that's tongue in cheek, but everything you described could still happen on a winter mooring, you still have to go and get water, still have noisey neighbours, and still have to heat your boat.

I don't think he intends to be on it