* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Not really a lot of help as we're not afloat at the moment, but just wanted to say that I've read all of this thread and am humbled and awestruck at the level of concern, co-operation, support and down-right "putting ourselves out" type effort going into this. Well Done everyone: this is a fantastic effort by all concerned and I truly hope this boat gets found.

Just to add though ... whilst we're not boat owners at present, we do walk the network a great deal, especially the Ashby. We were there on Sunday afternoon (parked in Snarestone outside The Globe and walked south from the tunnel) and saw a guy busily building a very crude ply wood and timber frame/screen around the back and front of a boat, so as to almost conceal what was going on at either end. Boat was moored a few hundred yards down, facing towards the tunnel.

The rear construction actually had a large slot in it for the tiller to go through - it was almost chest high to the guy who was building it and would certainly conceal the distinctive rear of the missing boat. I'm now kicking myself I didn't get any pics of the thing. At the time, it was painted grey but could be any colour by now. I have no idea if this is relevant. If this was you and your activities were both legitimate and logical, then I apologise for any offence, but it just goes to show that it's possible to change the look of a boat quite easily with a bit of paint and some timber.

Keep up the great work everyone.

• Greenie 3

Not really a lot of help as we're not afloat at the moment, but just wanted to say that I've read all of this thread and am humbled and awestruck at the level of concern, co-operation, support and down-right "putting ourselves out" type effort going into this. Well Done everyone: this is a fantastic effort by all concerned and I truly hope this boat gets found.

Just to add though ... whilst we're not boat owners at present, we do walk the network a great deal, especially the Ashby. We were there on Sunday afternoon (parked in Snarestone outside The Globe and walked south from the tunnel) and saw a guy busily building a very crude ply wood and timber frame/screen around the back and front of a boat, so as to almost conceal what was going on at either end. Boat was moored a few hundred yards down, facing towards the tunnel.

The rear construction actually had a large slot in it for the tiller to go through - it was almost chest high to the guy who was building it and would certainly conceal the distinctive rear of the missing boat. I'm now kicking myself I didn't get any pics of the thing. At the time, it was painted grey but could be any colour by now. I have no idea if this is relevant. If this was you and your activities were both legitimate and logical, then I apologise for any offence, but it just goes to show that it's possible to change the look of a boat quite easily with a bit of paint and some timber.

Saw that boat and dont think it was the one in question, it looked much older and I was looking for this boat at the time.

• Greenie 1

Um, has anyone checked the Leicester section including the soar?

There are some odd boats around at this time of year and it is possible that the boat may have gone thro braunston and foxton unnoticed .

Once in 20 mile there are lots of remote locations including welford arm and harborough?

If it's gone through Foxton or Watford locks, there will be a record, in the Lockies lists.

Bod

Just moved between Hillmorton and Rugby. No sign of the boat.

The lockie at Hillmorton has a "flyer" (with photos) of the stolen boat which he is showing to all boaters going through the flight asking if they have seen it, or if they do see it to phone the police.

If it's gone through Foxton or Watford locks, there will be a record, in the Lockies lists.

Bod

Do they not just keep a note of the name at Foxton and Watford? In which case, as the boat has no name painted on it, the steerer when booking a trip up or down could have given any name. I didn't see any licence checks at either flight when we went through recently. In fact, the only time out licence disc was looked at was by the lady at Woodend lock who was taking details of boats going up or down "for water use purposes, or something like that". She was there when we went up but not when we came done on Monday.

Haggis

Edited by haggis

There's been a lot of posts on here and facebook with lots of unsure sightings between Great Haywood and Braunston including the Trent and Mersey, the Coventry, The Ashby and the North Oxford. I know that's a long stretch, but given the amount of people who have been looking out, I can't see how there hasn't been a confirmed sighting so far. I keep thinking that this boat may have been taken up to two weeks before it was realised. On that basis, it could literally be anywhere on the network, or off it, if it's been craned out. It seems to me to be highly important to figure out exactly when it was taken and work from there. We know that the theft seems well planned and executed by someone with keys who knew the boat and appeared to be a capable skipper. I seems improbable to me that the boat would be pottering around the canal around 2 days cruise from Mercia if it was stolen 2 weeks ago.

I hope this post isn't seen as negative and the efforts of everyone who's been looking have been great, and should continue, but what has happened regarding investigating who would have had access to the keys and who knew the boat was lying unattended at Mercia?

There's been a lot of posts on here and facebook with lots of unsure sightings between Great Haywood and Braunston including the Trent and Mersey, the Coventry, The Ashby and the North Oxford. I know that's a long stretch, but given the amount of people who have been looking out, I can't see how there hasn't been a confirmed sighting so far. I keep thinking that this boat may have been taken up to two weeks before it was realised. On that basis, it could literally be anywhere on the network, or off it, if it's been craned out. It seems to me to be highly important to figure out exactly when it was taken and work from there. We know that the theft seems well planned and executed by someone with keys who knew the boat and appeared to be a capable skipper. I seems improbable to me that the boat would be pottering around the canal around 2 days cruise from Mercia if it was stolen 2 weeks ago.

I hope this post isn't seen as negative and the efforts of everyone who's been looking have been great, and should continue, but what has happened regarding investigating who would have had access to the keys and who knew the boat was lying unattended at Mercia?

I think those are all good points. Like others we had a check around the North Oxford and Coventry yesterday evening, and with all those looking it becomes less likely that it is in that area.

The one reason why the boat could still be around the area is that it has been sold on to someone who does not know it is stolen. To me it is hard to steal a boat an keep possession long term, much better to sell it on quickly and disappear with the money rather than trying to keep the boat.

The question as to how he knew the boat and had the keys (if he really did) is a big one.

As to when, there must be a rough idea from the people who saw it being taken both to the day and the time of day, so some time on the cctv footage to at least nail the when would be a good idea.

I understand that boats have been successfully stolen in the past but it's rare. I'd assumed that this was achieved by placing the boat out of sight and making significant alterations to the exterior and then registering it as a new vessel. Placing the boat out of sight would require a boatyard with a shed/paint dock/ enclosed polytunnel etc, or a crane so that the boat could be moved well away from the canal. If someone was able to make a copy of the key then it may have been through contact the boat had with a boatyard. I hope all such possibilities have been fully investigated.

If someone was able to make a copy of the key then it may have been through contact the boat had with a boatyard. I hope all such possibilities have been fully investigated.

I think the key issue is rather a red herring. It obviously does have to be looked into, but witnesses reported that the thief who nicked Chilton had the keys, whereas when it was found the lock had been damaged, almost certainly by "bumping" it.

Tam

The boat was un-named when it was stolen, if I've read all of this correctly (which I found a bit odd tbh .... ). It may have been "christened" by now to put people off the scent. We're looking for an un-named boat which could now be called anything. Would the lack of a name painted on the side and bow would make it a more desirable target for thieves?

The boat was un-named when it was stolen, if I've read all of this correctly (which I found a bit odd tbh .... ). It may have been "christened" by now to put people off the scent. We're looking for an un-named boat which could now be called anything. Would the lack of a name painted on the side and bow would make it a more desirable target for thieves?

A boat called ''Anything'' would be a bit unusual though and would surely arouse suspicion.

• Greenie 1

I know it's a pain for the marina owners.But if they know the approx time and the approx date then at least looking at the cv would give an indication of which way he went and who the person is.The police may on seeing the man have a contact address for him

I saw this boat too on Saturday.... The ply was very crude and he was building a wooden cratch.

Note on last post.

If anyone including the 4 persons on the elton miss no31 boat called moon something or othe who came back to bosworth in front of us that day please come and see me on no63 Annie and are moored on the far side of the marina to me I will be there on Saturday . We had a chat at shackerstone!

The lack of a name painted on makes it that much easier to paint one on and throw people of the scent.

I've just spoken to the owner to say a boat with exactly the same stern has just come past us (Mancetter above Atherstone locks) but it was sign written with a name. It could be one that people have seen and reported as a sighting of the stolen one or, less likely I guess, the stolen one with a properly sign written name.

I've just spoken to the owner to say a boat with exactly the same stern has just come past us (Mancetter above Atherstone locks) but it was sign written with a name. It could be one that people have seen and reported as a sighting of the stolen one or, less likely I guess, the stolen one with a properly sign written name.

Just had a call also about this boat and it heading down the locks, but has a name painted.

are the owners going for a look anyway?

Is there a search facility for boat names that people can use to clarify if a boat name is legit? Though, if owners change names legitimately, it depends how often the database is updated.