* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

This is a terrible thing to happen and i really hope you find the boat and get it back in one piece.

Reading everyones post's and replies i do wonder if the guy's (the workmen) who took the keys from the marina office was in on the theft. While these guys who had the keys in their possession could of had another set cut and then set out to steel the boat.

This is a terrible thing to happen and i really hope you find the boat and get it back in one piece.

Reading everyones post's and replies i do wonder if the guy's (the workmen) who took the keys from the marina office was in on the theft. While these guys who had the keys in their possession could of had another set cut and then set out to steel the boat.

Only one person borrowed the office set of keys. He was advised to us in advance by the owners and returned the keys the same day. He is a well known surveyor and knew the berth of the boat so would not have asked directions. Also a good chance he would have been recognised.

I am more inclined to think that the keys here aren't actually keys to the boat.

Rather, they are a "prop" that will satisfy the casual observer that all is well, because the bloke who is taking the boat has the keys, whilst in reality they have gained access by some other means.

It's called social engineering. The thieves do various things that aren't actually essential to the theft, so as to gain acceptance as a role of their choice who would have a reason to be there. Usually they will rely on things that people would notice, but avoid any long conversations with people (a long interaction is great for building up the story to somebody, but leads to people noticing too much.

In the past I have (legitimately, I hasten to add) used social engineering techniques to test security robustness in IT.

An email just received:

I am almost 99% positive the boat stolen from your marina was moored almost next to us about 10-days ago, when we were in Stoke Bruerne

I looked closely at the bow section, thinking it was another "Reeves" hull, very similar to my friend's boat Snowdrop, hence the interest

The paintwork is pristine (New) and it was beautifully finished, I seem to remember

I have no other information, but this information may be useful in tracing the direction the boat has travelled after it was taken away, (Being stolen)

An email just received:

I am almost 99% positive the boat stolen from your marina was moored almost next to us about 10-days ago, when we were in Stoke Bruerne

I looked closely at the bow section, thinking it was another "Reeves" hull, very similar to my friend's boat Snowdrop, hence the interest

The paintwork is pristine (New) and it was beautifully finished, I seem to remember

I have no other information, but this information may be useful in tracing the direction the boat has travelled after it was taken away, (Being stolen)

10 days ago in Stoke Bruerne, means it was stolen at least 14 days ago then.

If it was in Stoke Bruerne, then I assume it would have been logged by the CRT mooring checkers, so that suggest that the owners check the boats sighting record.

Edited by john6767

I am more inclined to think that the keys here aren't actually keys to the boat.

Rather, they are a "prop" that will satisfy the casual observer that all is well, because the bloke who is taking the boat has the keys, whilst in reality they have gained access by some other means.

It's called social engineering. The thieves do various things that aren't actually essential to the theft, so as to gain acceptance as a role of their choice who would have a reason to be there. Usually they will rely on things that people would notice, but avoid any long conversations with people (a long interaction is great for building up the story to somebody, but leads to people noticing too much.

In the past I have (legitimately, I hasten to add) used social engineering techniques to test security robustness in IT.

A bit like the bloke in the high viz jacket who was breaking into a house directly behind us a few months ago.

I rang the police on 999 (crime in progress). and as they were obviously in the area they arrived in just minutes

Unfortunately he lived there and had locked himself out rolleyes.gif . I did ask myself before I rang - would somebody breaking in to a house really wear a high viz jacket but I thought, well yes they probably would in order to look like a genuine 'workman' or locksmith.

The police were fine about though.

Edited by MJG

So when I was a chambermaid many years ago, all the bedroom doors in the hotel had Yale locks, and we had a 'pass key' each, which opened every lock. How do they work then?

I'm not,but I wish I was in the Hillmorton area. Id be out and about having a look see. Quiet rural moorings between Hillmorton and Braunston. If this is the boat, it could moor there for a few days.

The thieves may be reading this forum, so may I suggest contacting the owners directly rather than on here if positive sighting made. The owners then have options. And of course let us know but not where.

Where is Startcoaster? Is she still moored in that area? There's a quiet accessible mooring near Braunston, just to the north. Dammed if I can remember the name of the village.

Also there's the small marina where Rugby Boats used to be. You could get a crane in there.

If it has been sighted in Stoke Bruerne, it's getting about a bit ain't it.

Hi all

A boat fitting our description is making its way to Atherstone locks. Please keep a look out if you are along the Coventry, also could you inform any lock keeper please? We are I'm our way, fingers crossed! Thank you all, you are stars!

Atherstone volockies being alerted now by Jo James.

Chris and Graham the boat owners say they will be there in about 15 minutes. They are being extremely active and are grateful for the help from CWDF.

If they need more feet on the ground around atherstone, i am about 15 minutes away in car so can assist?

I do feel for them. I honestly do.

Chris and Graham. If this turns out to be your boat, you'll have to decide what to do if you haven't already. Do you watch and wait for the Police to arrive or have a go. The former is the best bet.

I do feel for them. I honestly do.

Chris and Graham. If this turns out to be your boat, you'll have to decide what to do if you haven't already. Do you watch and wait for the Police to arrive or have a go. The former is the best bet.

I know everybody is different but if it was my boat I would be waiting until it was in a lock, call the police, step aboard and 'invite' the steerer to step off.

ed. Steerer not sheerer you fool

Edited by MJG

I'd go there Dave. I've spoken to the team leader of the Atherstone team. He's not there but is phoning the guys he thinks will be there. Having someone on the ground who is up to speed with the description and details can't be a bad thing.

Jo

If it's by atherstone check in Hawkins yard that's were the last one went with a crane on standby

Dunno why I put it twice

Perhaps Dave could go there??

That would leave others to check the locks?