* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

A previous owner, perhaps? Or did the current owners buy it new?

Was there any dispute about ownership perhaps? A couple separating might each consider it 'their boat' and try to keep it out of the clutches of the other party.

The current owners had it made for them by Stenson/MCC. They appear very much a couple though no doubt the stress of this does not help! I am pretty sure, speaking with them last night and asking the same questions, that there is no dispute about ownership. I tried to eliminate such things before posting last night. Even enquired about any contact with boat movers (none).

Edited by Yank on the Cut

Hi all

We have had a possible sighting of what may be our narrowboat which went through hill Norton lock. I do not have a canal map, but think this may be on the Oxford. We are waiting for more details, but it may be near Coventry or Rugby. I cannot say how much we appreciate your support and help. Just off to that area now,

Hi Mike

We are definitely a couple, we celebrated 44years married last week. But after all this who knows!

Hi all

We have had a possible sighting of what may be our narrowboat which went through hill Norton lock. I do not have a canal map, but think this may be on the Oxford. We are waiting for more details, but it may be near Coventry or Rugby. I cannot say how much we appreciate your support and help. Just off to that area now,

Do you mean Hillmorton??

Is so yes it is on the Oxford (north)

Hi all

That sounds promising. Probably this was 'Hillmorton Lock' (or locks) and yes if so, they are on the north Oxford just south of Rugby. Loads of members here on that stretch so be ready for more sightings.

(Edit to change southern to north. MJG is right!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

with the amount of known ways of opening various types of locks (bump keys etc) I would ignore any mention of a bunch of keys actually being the right keys for the boat, people assume they have seen what they expect to see, someone walking to the boat with keys in-hand and then a few seconds later the doors are unlocked.

Generally if you look like you should be there nobody pays any attention to you.

where our boat is the people on the surrounding boats know me and my partner but also know that nobody but us should ever be on our boat.

if it's headed in that direction it may be worth asking clifton cruisers (rugby) to keep an eye out as it will pass them not too long afterwards

there is also willow wren but if goes that way it's a dead end arm so it's doubtful.

past there it would be barby moorings and then braunston.

Edited by Jess--

speak to crt and see if they can ask the vlockies at Hillmorton if they have seen it?

Hi all
Hi Mike
We are definitely a couple, we celebrated 44years married last week. But after all this who knows!

Depending on what time/day this was, i would head to Braunstone and walk back towards Rugby....

Edited by Dave Payne

Ideally it needs intercepting before it gets to Braunston as after that it could head in any number of directions (I'm presuming it;'s heading South)

Come on Forum, help the owners find their boat. They are stressed and should not be driving to Hillmorton/Braunston etc. and possibly confronting the bloke who has stolen their boat.

Can somebody just spot this boat for them, take a photo or two, and email it to them?

This may well eliminate this boat and save a stressful wasted journey.

On the other hand if the photo shows that it is highly likely their boat then they can arrived prepared, hopefully with friends or even better the police.

...............Dave

Has anyone ever suggested a Boater's "Flying Squad"?

A network of members willing and able to cover certain areas of the canal system by road in terms of looking for stolen boats. Just a group text message of details to the Squad and bingo, a net is thrown. I could cover the T&M from Chester to Stoke easily for instance. The fuel boats are good spotters too.

... just a thought...

They will have to stop at Rose narrowboat as iirc there's a swing bridge in the middle of their boatyard.

That is correct, which is why they notice most boats. If it really is at Hillmorton, it has already gone through Stretton today or perhaps yesterday.