* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

That is kind of you, but all I did was what any of you would of, which is post on here asking for help, contribute where I could, walk the towpath and support the owners where possible.

We are lucky at Mercia to have a terrific community. For instance, Loubyscooby organised the leaflets and her and Jo_ organised the search parties and maps. They and others did so much.

A concerned active community armed with information is a powerful force. The boating community is not to be messed about.

Edited by Yank on the Cut

I pleased the boat has been found and impressed how everyone has pulled together. I feel like a bit off a sherker being so far away not oh the main canals. But going up and down the G&S canal I was looking at every strange boat to make sure just in case.

Well done everyone.

Sorry folks but I have little to add, except that yes, as Mickp confirmed on here a couple days ago, Graham and Chris have their boat back and it is thanks to you lot, the boating community. I have no idea where it is but also no reason to think it is not at Great Haywood.

You are everything people say you are and much more.

I have no doubt that Graham and Chris have a terrific story to tell which I for one very much look forward to hearing but they cannot do so yet. Also as there will have to be a court case they may not be able to talk any time soon.

But this was a very well-executed robbery which very nearly worked, on a very distinctive boat in a very busy marina on a busy stretch of canal, with hundreds of people searching.

So this thread or a new one should focus on security. Please do not think about chaining your boat to the pontoon as that is a huge risk in a fire. At Mercia we would not have it.

Well done all. I am really proud of being part of this community.

So are you changing the advert for Mercia Marina now and removing the "Secure" bit

• Greenie 3

Medals - we need some medals

Richard

Mercia have the "Golden Windlass" award which is given to members of the Mercia community for helpful acts and I would certainly recommend Rob, Jo and Lou should get the award this month.

As for Nick and Anne and Junior besides stacking them with greenies, is there some sort of flag that could be put on their profiles?

Well, all's well that ends well but there is just that one sentence that raises a 'but'. As Yank says 'It was a well executed robbery that very nearly worked', If I was thinking of stealing a boat (believe me, I'm not) I reckon that I could probably get away with it, a less distinctive boat for a start, theres plenty of clones out there and a bit of work with a hacksaw and a tin of paint and I could have a boat. I might invest in some sort of tracker after following this thread and a big sticker that advertises the fact.

Well done you too! MtB gave you a mention earlier and rightly so. I think you've done far more than many in your position might have, and I salute you Sir!

Is there any kind of marina management telegraph over which to increase awareness and share ideas?

I'd like to mention BillybobBooth in dispatches too. He got up early on Saturday morning and set off in his car to find the boat but eventually turned back when Junior posted to say he'd already been out, if I understand the chronology of things correctly. No-one even said thank you to him, so I'm saying it now.

I'd also like to say there are two questions outstanding that trouble me:

1) Who was it that entered the marina and nicked it, given his description doesn't any of the people on the boat when found?

2) Where was the boat for the three weeks before it popped up on the offside back in Weston? I can;t believe it was there all the time, it would have been spotted.

So are you changing the advert for Mercia Marina now and removing the "Secure" bit

Although I'm guessing that was said in tongue in cheek, it's wise to review security on a regular basis and see what improvements could be made.

I'd like to mention BillybobBooth in dispatches too. He got up early on Saturday morning and set off in his car to find the boat but eventually turned back when Junior posted to say he'd already been out, if I understand the chronology of things correctly. No-one even said thank you to him, so I'm saying it now.

I'd also like to say there are two questions outstanding that trouble me:

1) Who was it that entered the marina and nicked it, given his description doesn't any of the people on the boat when found?

2) Where was the boat for the three weeks before it popped up on the offside back in Weston? I can;t believe it was there all the time, it would have been spotted.

Two excellent questions Mike which hopefully will be answered once the owners get the ok from the police to come forward. I do not know the answer to either.

Last time I checked there is a self hire dock on the direct route from Mercia to Weston at Fradley Junction. Not suggesting it was used and if it was the owners of the dock would be aware/involved

(Edited to add some clarifications)

Edited by Nev

Two excellent questions Mike which hopefully will be answered once the owners get the ok from the police to come forward. I do not know the answer to either.

I wasn't expecting answers particularly, I suspect they are two questions that will never be resolved.

An interesting question not raised so far is were there any arrests when police recovered the boat?

Last time I checked there is a self hire dock on the direct route from Mercia to Weston at Fradley Junction. Not suggesting it was used and if it was the owners of the dock would be aware/involved

Seems a viable suggestion though. It would have been very much easier to do the excellent paint job and sign writing they did, without being spotted, with the boat in dock.

Is it a covered dock?

Why on earth would they need to do that?

It's about as secure as they come, but nothing is ever 100% secure.

If it's the one I'm thinking about that is a very busy spot to be disguising a stolen boat. I would have thought somewhere quieter more suitable. Still you never know.

I wasn't expecting answers particularly, I suspect they are two questions that will never be resolved.

An interesting question not raised so far is were there any arrests when police recovered the boat?

Seems a viable suggestion though. It would have been very much easier to do the excellent paint job and sign writing they did, without being spotted, with the boat in dock.

Is it a covered dock?

Mike, yes we have had our other boat blacked there in the past so a proper dry dock in a purpose built shed. A decent facility. I would hope the investigation eventually finds out how the theft was undertaken from the initial break in to the re paint and all other aspects of the time the boat was out there - because it seems, and it is idle speculation, the disposing of the plates was a distraction as some had speculated - if the boat did take a direct route....

Trying to find a good reason not to mow my grass....! So have been looking into tracking devices. I might try this one for my boat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GPS-Tracker-Magnetic-Car-Vehicle-Personal-Tracking-Device-102-NANO-TK102-/111201679112?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I am also going to write to my insurers and using this horrible experience as a learning point ask if I was to add in such extra protection if there would be any policy % reduction.

Copy of email to findmyboat:

"I was handing out leaflets at Great Haywood just now and a boater told me she saw a boat very similar to yours but green, yesterday, heading north on the T&M between Weston and Aston marina.

She was very uncertain about the ID but I thought I should pass it on. I'll copy this to CWDF in case there's someone about between Stone and Aston who could look for it."

I remember this post from Bruce a week ago. He'd emailed it into 'findmyboat', so we'd logged it. Maybe it was a relevant sighting and the colour had already been altered.

I am also going to write to my insurers and using this horrible experience as a learning point ask if I was to add in such extra protection if there would be any policy % reduction.

I would suggest you don't.

A few years ago we implemented some actions in our factory that dramatically reduced the chance of fire - we made themistake in asking the insurers if we would get a reduction in Premium to which they replied "NO - but we will not increase it by as much as we may have done".

We got the usual 'percentage' increase.

Tell your insurers the minimum they need to know / ask for. Don't volunteer additional information. it will be (somehow) used against you.

• Greenie 1

Trying to find a good reason not to mow my grass....! So have been looking into tracking devices. I might try this one for my boat

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-GPS-Tracker-Magnetic-Car-Vehicle-Personal-Tracking-Device-102-NANO-TK102-/111201679112?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

How long before CRT insist on one of these to be fitted before they issue a CC licence?

Just catching up on the latest, a bit late. So just to say a huge Well Done to all concerned in the recovery of this boat and to everyone who went out of their way to help find it. I'm assuming the boat is officially a crime scene at the moment, where ever it it's moored so the police can do all the necessary forensics, fingerprints etc, but I hope C&G will be able to update personally in due course.

.... slapped wrists to Tonka for his comment ... a bit rude and un-necessary IMO. ...