* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

One further question; why is someone on the canalside who admires your boat and asks a few apparently innocent questions called 'a gongoozler'? It sounds very dismissive and mildly insulting. Do you not want others to take an interest in your passion?

I don't think the term is used in a derogatory fashion, more just a semi humorous name for us that don't have a boat but who do like to watch them.

ed. from Wiki - (my red)

"Gongoozler" may have been canal workers' slang for an observer standing apparently idle on the towpath. Though it was used derisively in the past, today the term is regularly used, perhaps with a little irony, by gongoozlers to describe themselves and their hobby.[1]

The word may have arisen from words in Lincolnshire dialect: gawn and gooze, both meaning to stare or gape.[2] It might be presumed that such an expression would date from the nineteenth century, when canals were at their peak, but the word is only recorded from the end of that century or the early twentieth. It was given wider use by the late L. T. C. Rolt, who used it in his book about canal life, Narrow Boat, in 1944.[3]

The term, "gongoozler" may also be used in any circumstance in which people are spectating without contributing to either the content or interest of an event.

Edited by MJG

Interesting! Who can 'officially' say that?

I would say yes, there's enough in this thread and elsewhere to say it is the right boat and has been recovered

Richard

I'd agree with this.

With the amount of 'almost' conclusive information I think it is fair for us to conclude the hunt is finished.

If it isn't the right boat, then I'd suggest it is incumbent on Chris and Graham to post again saying so. They have almost certainly been reading the thread as they last logged in at 8.28 am today.

I'd imagine they are a bit busy for now, getting their boat back in order and helping the fuzz with their enquiries!

One further point... If the thief is found (from fingerprints etc) to be the same thief as stole Chilton, then I'd say he is pretty brash and quite likely to be on the lookout for a third boat to steal.

(Spelling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Narrowrboats don't have the same regulated identity as sailing dinghies, but perhaps they should.

Every boat vuilt to the Recreational Craft Directive has a unique Hull Identification Number marked on the outside of the stern and on a hidden place inside. This can be used to confirm the identity of a recoverd boat. A boat on CRT waters will also display a registration number, but in this case the registration plates had been removed as noted earlier in the thread.

In the photos posted last night the name looked pretty well done. If it's painted on perhaps the thief is a sign writer?

Vinyl graphics can look good and could be applied very quickly by someone with no signwriting skills.

One further point... If the thief is found (from fingerprints etc) to be the same thief as stole Chilton, then I'd say he is pretty brash and quite likely to be on the lookout for a third boat to steal.

If this is the same thief then two failed attempts in quick succession doesn't look to be very profitable. Hopefully they will now go off and look for an easier community.

Also, it's great to see how the boating community rallied around to assist with the recovery. Something that probably wouldn't happen elsewhere. Well done to all those involved.

So glad Graham and Chris have been relocated with their most treasured possession, I have been watching this thread closely and you could feel their anguish, As I dont own a boat I can only guess what was going through their minds, both my wife and I was walking the canal yesterday evening and we noticed a boat that had been stripped bare of its paintwork and had what looked like a makeshift back(the tiller end excuse me I dont know the correct name) made of what looked like scaffold pole. I had forgotten about the missing boat and upon looking back here late last night. I was out again at 7am for a closer look (didnt look nothing like the boat in the end). But it is so good to know that the boating community and further afield all look out for each other in time of need. Well done to all those involved

Yes - well done to all the community. I have never met the couple who had the shock of finding their boat missing but I feel so good that it is found. I just hope they can welcome its return like a lost child rather than a possession that has been spoiled by the feeling that the uncaring presence of others is still pervading the boat.

Yes there is.

I have a view into the deck area, but as it shows people's faces it would be inappropriate to post on here. I will keep the picture though, just in case...

Am I wrong in thinking that this photo was of "Rare Bear" and hence that this photograph shows the couple concerned?

WOW!!! What an effort and what a read, albeit still yet to be positively confirmed, I reckon a massive pat on the back for this community. How proud and privileged to be a part of it.

Could I recommend we raise a huge communal toast at say 9pm tonight, so wherever one is ( I reckon most will have a glass of something in hand by then anyway)

we raise our glasses and toast the continuation of canalworld community, to Chris and Graham and everyone involved, massive effort well done everyone CHEERS!!!

Am I wrong in thinking that this photo was of "Rare Bear" and hence that this photograph shows the couple concerned?

There were three people on the boat we photographed. An older man, a woman, and a younger chap who was on his knees doing something at floor level.

I'm still convinced this was the boat I saw in amington on 1st Aug.

The woman's behaviour was quite odd too. She stared at our boat, and kept looking back at it even well after passing. Maybe the MERCIA MARINA writing on the side made her uneasy?!?!

Taking into account the possible sightings/findings they appear to have stayed relatively local, moved a lot....and not hidden away too much.....

That's very strange!!

Veeeeery strange indeed!!

I just Googled "stolen narrowboat" and found this interesting article. It has a photo of the man convicted of stealing a narrowboat in 2014. No doubt he is out again.

Nice find. The thief was caught by dna evidence that time, so he's on record if he's up to old tricks.

Forensics are now giving the boat the full works and owners with them,lets hope they comeup trumps

Yes can you confirm this is the same boat as was found written with "Rare Bear" on the side?

We STILL don't have actual confirmation from anyone that Rare Bear is Chris and Graham's stolen boat..!

There were three people on the boat we photographed. An older man, a woman, and a younger chap who was on his knees doing something at floor level.

Suck eggs time...

Do nothing with the photos apart from provide the originals to the police. If they are the guilty party then the photo may help in prosecuting them.

Suck eggs time...

Do nothing with the photos apart from provide the originals to the police. If they are the guilty party then the photo may help in prosecuting them.

/\ /\

This