* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

I went down there last night and waited nearly 2 hours for the police. Eventually they told me they didn't know when they would be able to send somebody as they were very busy. So i went home about 01:30.

Tried to call the owners whilst i was there but only got answerphone. I would hope the owners set off as soon as they got the message.

I believe the boat has now been found and is in police possesion. Perhaps the owners could confirm?

Great job Junior! Lets hope this is now sorted!

If it turns out to be Rare Bear, then the pics may turn out to be useful after all.

• Greenie 1

I went down there last night and waited nearly 2 hours for the police. Eventually they told me they didn't know when they would be able to send somebody as they were very busy. So i went home about 01:30.

Tried to call the owners whilst i was there but only got answerphone. I would hope the owners set off as soon as they got the message.

I believe the boat has now been found and is in police possesion. Perhaps the owners could confirm?

Well done, I would have joined you had I been closer.

A lot of respect to you for being proactive and actually going out there. I was watching the thread last night and itching for some one to do that. The owners will I am sure be on here soon (hopefully) to update us all but you and the people who took the photo initially deserve some extra praise.

Just to clear things up, I did nothing except go down there last night and call the police.

After their non-arrival I went home having called them back to tell them I was leaving but given location of boat.

I think it will be a while now before we get any facts as it seems the owners have been informed by the police to say nothing at all at the moment. I am confident however that their stolen boat has been found.

Just to clear things up, I did nothing except go down there last night and call the police.

After their non-arrival I went home having called them back to tell them I was leaving but given location of boat.

I think it will be a while now before we get any facts as it seems the owners have been informed by the police to say nothing at all at the moment. I am confident however that their stolen boat has been found.

I wouldn't call that nothing personally.

If the boat has been found through the actions of people on the forum I wonder if the loss adjusters might like to give any reward money to a good canal cause or two?

Cheers

Gareth

Just received this in an email, sent yesterday, from a friend on her boat at Weston:-

"In meantime ( might be Old News by now) came across what hopefully was the Stolen Boat. Moored alongside a Field at last Bridge on outskirts of Weston upon Trent.

CPSO Officer was in attendance checkg around Boat. I shouted ovr, is this the Stolen Boat as it answered the description. Officer looked abit miffed & replied, presumed so. Asked us where licence Number would be displayed. Shouted to him, Number Plates had been discarded when stolen & that we would have reported it had he not been present already.".

Well done Junior Hopefully all resolved soon and the conspiracy theories can all be put to rest.......

:)

Great job Junior! Lets hope this is now sorted!

If it turns out to be Rare Bear, then the pics may turn out to be useful after all.

May - are you kidding! If you hadn't taken your picture I don't think the boat would have been recovered today

Richard

I appreciate the owners have been informed not to say anything by the Police, but i think with such a high profile and highly publicised search having taken place/still taking place, i think somebody connected to this incident needs to clear up whether the boat has been found or not so this can start to be shared around.

I'll be a bit miffed if i spent over 3 hours of my time last night trying to assist in the recovery of thier boat to then find out that the police had already attended earlier on and they were aware of this.

I'll also be miffed that having rung the police and given the incident number that they then told me "stay there with the boat, we are sending somebody out" instead of telling me it had already been recovered.

I'm glad that it looks like Chris & Graham have their boat back, but with so many people dedicating their time and effort to search for their boat, i believe they need to start officially telling (or at least make a basic statement) letting people know they can stop looking.

• Greenie 1

Ah! so who spotted it first I wonder, and did they catch the occupants.

Well one thing we do not know is if the current occupants are complicit.

They too may be innocent victims in all of this.

I'm glad that it looks like Chris & Graham have their boat back, but with so many people dedicating their time and effort to search for their boat, i believe they need to start officially telling (or at least make a basic statement) letting people know they can stop looking.

It may well be that if they have rushed up there this morning they are not geared up to logging on to the forum and posting, (or are simply too involved with the aftermath of this).

Hopefully though, if that's the case, they will pass a message on to somebody who can let everybody know what is happening.

• Greenie 1

Just received this in an email, sent yesterday, from a friend on her boat at Weston:-

"In meantime ( might be Old News by now) came across what hopefully was the Stolen Boat. Moored alongside a Field at last Bridge on outskirts of Weston upon Trent.

CPSO Officer was in attendance checkg around Boat. I shouted ovr, is this the Stolen Boat as it answered the description. Officer looked abit miffed & replied, presumed so. Asked us where licence Number would be displayed. Shouted to him, Number Plates had been discarded when stolen & that we would have reported it had he not been present already.".

One thing I found curious was how Chris and Graham who have been very active and posting regularly in this thread suddenly stopped posting (their last contribution being on Thursday evening) despite all the activity on here last night finding the boat.

I'm wondering if as Junior suggests, they have been advised by the police to stay quiet but this does not explain their silence all yesterday. But the email mentioned above possibly does, if the boat had already been found prior to the photo being taken and posted on here. I'm wondering if the occupants who challenged NickandAnne when they took the photo were actually plain clothes police hence their boldness.

I see from their profile Chris and Graham have logged in this morning but still said nothing. They could at least say yes the boat has been found I'd have thought!

One thing I found curious was how Chris and Graham who have been very active and posting regularly in this thread suddenly stopped posting (their last contribution being on Thursday evening) despite all the activity on here last night finding the boat.

I'm wondering if as Junior suggests, they have been advised by the police to stay quiet but this does not explain their silence all yesterday. But the email mentioned above possibly does, if the boat had already been found prior to the photo being taken and posted on here. I'm wondering if the occupants who challenged NickandAnne when they took the photo were actually plain clothes police hence their boldness.

I see from their profile Chris and Graham have logged in this morning but still said nothing. They could at least say yes the boat has been found I'd have thought!

I was thinking the same. Was the chap that Nick and Ann saw painting the doors actually the police dusting down for fingerprints?

Not trying to defend the police to any great extent, but I wonder if forum members have any concept of the number of calls a mid-sized county force, say 3600 officers and around 1500 police 'staff' deals with every day. It's easily in excess of 1500, peaking nearer 1800 in the summer silly season which we are in the middle of. They still prioritise on the protection of life and property in that order, so on Friday night not that far from Derby centre they would be unlikely to have anyone for property recovery until around 0600, maybe 0700 when the day shift come in - and that's assuming they aren't picking up the leftovers of the night before.

Edit: Posted in response to Juniors and Alans posts, but quotes not used as it's not meant as a direct 'rebuttal', just an observation.

Edited by twbm

but why tell Junior to stay with the boat if they already had it in hand?

I think that's still forum conjecture ...... however it's very difficult, nay impossible, even with computers to ensure that ever call handler is fully au-fait with an update on every one of those incidents that was reported in the last 12 to 24 hrs. So cock ups happen.

Lets hope they have found the missing boat.

There are an awful amount of questions that need answering, not least how do you you manage to carry out a major repaint of a sizeable narrowboat, in private without anyone seeing it, especially so close to where it was originally stolen.

Lets hope they manage to catch the culprits.

may have just been a civilan phone operative

Going way of topic now, but having worked in that environment, some of the civvies I worked with in control rooms were streets ahead of the cops, some of the cops I wouldn't have paid with washers. And all variations in between.

Edited by twbm