* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Who found the licence plates? Did they take a picture in situ? Did they handle them? Where they so obvious that anyone could see them? Or where they well hidden?

Was there anything else with them?

Was a search made in the immediate area?

Did the person who found them know where to look?

I could go on......

The space on the licence said 'NO NAME'

The boat listing shows number of boats on CRT waters with the name "no name", including this one, so the name of the boat is technically "No Name".

No Name Built by Unknown in 2015 - Length : 15.2 metres ( 49 feet 10 inches ) - Beam : 2 metres ( 6 feet 7 inches ). 0 hull Powered . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 523031 as a Private Narrow Boat. ( Last updated on Tuesday 10th March 2015 )

Who found the licence plates?

I did

Did they take a picture in situ?

No, I didn't think of that until later.

Did they handle them?

Yes, mainly by the edges,

Where they so obvious that anyone could see them?

<yawn>

See post #314

Or where they well hidden?

Pardon?

Was there anything else with them?

Yes, the actual licence 'disks'.

Was a search made in the immediate area?

Yes.

Did the person who found them know where to look?

Huh?

I could go on......

Yes...

Edited by Beaker

Thank you all we cannot believe we have 1000 posts to the forum, thank you so very much for all these suggestions. Our loss adjuster is travelling to Derby today and our case has been passed on to another officer and he starts his investigations today. There have been statements made now and they are examining the cctv from the marina. It cannot hide forever, thank you all so much for all these theories and constant watching. We are passing on your ideas to our loss adjuster when relevant. Keep them coming please!

A question: have the owners cancelled the boat licence? This might have the effect of making the boat stand out when it is logged on the cut, or when a licence is applied for? Or does CART say oh no you can't unlicence it as that contravenes the rules...

How is it going to be "logged on the cut", if it carries no name, index number, or licence "discs"?

How is it going to be "logged on the cut", if it carries no name, index number, or licence "discs"?

A very fair point, that occurred to me about a minute after I posted the question....

So to avoid standing out from the crowd, do we have to assume the boat now has a new name, fake index number and has applied for a new licence?

It seems more likely , as others have said, that it is off CRT waters.

It looks to me that as the licence plates were left deliberately where they could easily be spotted. A ruse to make people search in the wrong area, and the boat never actually passed that way. Surely it would be easier to just to chuck them in the canal.

Has anybody looked around the BCN, lots of places rarely cruised, particularly the northern reaches?. Lots of other places rarely cruised.

I did most of the northern reaches not long after this thread started and was on the lookout....we left star city heading up Perry Barr on the 16th July and rejoined the mainline on 19th July having done the Tame Valley....Anglesey & Cannock branches and to the top of Walsall flight..nothing was seen then I'm afraid.....and we are now at ellesmere on the Welsh.....will keep looking.

Cheers

Gareth

It looks to me that as the licence plates were left deliberately where they could easily be spotted. A ruse to make people search in the wrong area, and the boat never actually passed that way. Surely it would be easier to just to chuck them in the canal.

Yes, it is very hard to reach any other conclusion.

Given how successful the person taking the boat has so far been in removing it, and keeping it hidden, it is very hard to imagine they would remove the identification from the boat and not completely get rid of it, unless they actually wanted those particular things to be found.

Edited by alan_fincher

I've been thinking about places to hide a boat. Has anyone looked at the basin at the end of the Caldon beyond Froghall tunnel, not many boats get through this tunnel but the stolen boat might.

Also at the very end of the Leek arm (past the winding hole) where it's very reedy.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that personally, i think everyone is concentrating too much on one (the wrong?) area.

I suspect it is long gone and is up north or down south, or even craned out by now.

Yes Junior my thoughts entirely, to many people keep on saying silly things I am In Castleford two days a go I was in Rotherham, big canals fast movement.! I would have gone from Mercia to the trent, gone north [after putting false plates on the boat] within the week it could have been hundreds of canal miles away no problem.

Today another Stenson/MCC boat from Mercia will be out cruising the T & M and we wanted to let you know it is out with permission of the owners.

Her name is Aurora. She will be cruised from her to Rugeley and back, leaving today and returning on Monday 8th August. The crew are described by the owners as two mixed wrinkly couples!

From the pics below, you can see the foredeck steelwork is much simpler than the stolen boat and the paintwork is good quality. If the stolen boat has been repainted it is unlikely to be of such a standard!

I will not post many pics to avoid confusion.

post-5943-0-91194600-1470305918_thumb.jpg

post-5943-0-87252000-1470305956_thumb.jpg

Today another Stenson/MCC boat from Mercia will be out cruising the T & M and we wanted to let you know it is out with permission of the owners.

Her name is Aurora. She will be cruised from her to Rugeley and back, leaving today and returning on Monday 8th August. The crew are described by the owners as two mixed wrinkly couples!

From the pics below, you can see the foredeck steelwork is much simpler than the stolen boat and the paintwork is good quality. If the stolen boat has been repainted it is unlikely to be of such a standard!

I will not post many pics to avoid confusion.

attachicon.gifaurora1.jpg

attachicon.gifaurora4.jpg

so this is boat number 5 of the 6 that were made in this style? does it have the same back end as the stolen boat?

Edited by GoodGurl

At 11.16 we received agreeing from Venetian marine boats that our boat has been seen heading to Barbridge west towards Shropshire.

Through holmondsey lock. I have just picked up this message and do not have a map of the canals to hand, but can anyone fill us in meanwhile as to where this may be? Meanwhile I will find more information and let you know, fingers crossed, thanks

Please has anyone had anther look at the boat I posted about in grey primer above Kinver. I suggested tat my entry should be removed form the list because I just wanted another person to view it because at the time I was not looking for that boat.

Just bumping this.

It needs attention.

...or perhaps not. See post 1023.

But we will keep looking on our way up the GU towards Cosgrove

Edited by Theo
Add a couple of lines