* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

One question and a couple of thoughts....

Do C&RT allow a boat to be registered without a name .... I thought all boats had to have a name ?

Surely C&RT have a bigger part to play in this - even if it is to show their support for the boaters who have had their boat stolen and the community doing so much to find it. They surely have data out there not yet collated - from the loggers and the keepers plus maybe central office etc. Could they not make a effort to call this data in to see if there are any anomalies/patterns (how else to they track the 20 mile judication - not for this subject matter of course) such as:

Same index on different parts of the canal on the same day or close days in July

A boat index making substantial and one way distance mileage - might need so analysis

A boat index that does not match a name - might need to do some cross referencing ?

Any (not yet reported) activity that is unusual from their staff - I presume they have put out an all staff email asking for help ?

All new boat registrations and the boat length in July similar to the stolen boat

Any new BSS's - if they are needed for new boats at 50 foot in July

Any new moorings processed for 50 foot boats in July - or maybe June if the thief's planned ahead

Any new end of garden moorings recently approved for a 50 foot craft

Is there one person in C&RT who is dealing with this theft who could pick these questions up ?

Not a go at C&RT just would be useful if they learnt from this and were able to introduce systems to help in the future should (when) this happens again. Do they have a policy/procedure for helping in such circumstances

Just my thoughts .....

Finally and not for this group as I am sure all are doing their best for the community they share.... are the insurers offering a reward for information, this may well interest those that may have some casual knowledge but are not inclined to share due to a false loyalty - unless there is a decent cash incentive?

• Greenie 1

One question and a couple of thoughts....

Do C&RT allow a boat to be registered without a name .... I thought all boats had to have a name ?

Surely C&RT have a bigger part to play in this - even if it is to show their support for the boaters who have had their boat stolen and the community doing so much to find it. They surely have data out there not yet collated - from the loggers and the keepers plus maybe central office etc. Could they not make a effort to call this data in to see if there are any anomalies/patterns (how else to they track the 20 mile judication - not for this subject matter of course) such as:

Same index on different parts of the canal on the same day or close days in July

A boat index making substantial and one way distance mileage - might need so analysis

A boat index that does not match a name - might need to do some cross referencing ?

Any (not yet reported) activity that is unusual from their staff - I presume they have put out an all staff email asking for help ?

All new boat registrations and the boat length in July similar to the stolen boat

Any new BSS's - if they are needed for new boats at 50 foot in July

Any new moorings processed for 50 foot boats in July - or maybe June if the thief's planned ahead

Any new end of garden moorings recently approved for a 50 foot craft

Is there one person in C&RT who is dealing with this theft who could pick these questions up ?

Not a go at C&RT just would be useful if they learnt from this and were able to introduce systems to help in the future should (when) this happens again. Do they have a policy/procedure for helping in such circumstances

Just my thoughts .....

Finally and not for this group as I am sure all are doing their best for the community they share.... are the insurers offering a reward for information, this may well interest those that may have some casual knowledge but are not inclined to share due to a false loyalty - unless there is a decent cash incentive?

As C&RT don't post on this forum, you won't know what they are doing

Richard

Spotted a boat with identical stern heading through amington towards fazeley at 2pm yesterday.

Chap In 30's and blonde woman a bit younger.

Couldn't chase after them for a closer look as had 3 kids and 2 dogs in tow.

Couldn't update til now as had no connection

Apologies if it was an innocent lookalike

Did you notice if it was sign written

As C&RT don't post on this forum, you won't know what they are doing

Richard

Surely Chris and Graham or better still the police could be requesting CRT to do things such as those suggested.

EDIT: To add an after thought. Do the Police even have any idea of what data CRT collect and how it might be used to help?

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 1

I think you are assuming that CRT checkers of any description sight a boat far more often than they actually do in practice.

Although CRT have in the past indicated that any location is checked on average something like every two weeks, my own experience of requesting sightings data for my own boats suggests that they are very rarely recorded much when out and about, but may be recorded regularly on a home mooring, (one was, the other was not).

We managed to do a massive trip up over the Pennines across in one direction, and back the other way by different canals, and were not recorded once, I think.

I'm actually surprised that CRT have apparently recorded the boat at all, (assumed to be shortly after it was taken).

If it is now carrying neither an index number or licence disks, even if it is spotted by a data checker, they will not have any available data to put it onto their system.

I think you are assuming that CRT checkers of any description sight a boat far more often than they actually do in practice.

Although CRT have in the past indicated that any location is checked on average something like every two weeks, my own experience of requesting sightings data for my own boats suggests that they are very rarely recorded much when out and about, but may be recorded regularly on a home mooring, (one was, the other was not).

We managed to do a massive trip up over the Pennines across in one direction, and back the other way by different canals, and were not recorded once, I think.

I'm actually surprised that CRT have apparently recorded the boat at all, (assumed to be shortly after it was taken).

If it is now carrying neither an index number or licence disks, even if it is spotted by a data checker, they will not have any available data to put it onto their system.

Alan, I was trying to offer other sources of information maybe from C&RT who could be holding info not yet collated, thought it might be worth the owners chasing C&RT up, as you say you only think you were not recorded on your Pennines trip... and C&RT have got one recording, maybe not yet collated more and finally your last point if this is an anomaly in a data checkers notebook, could/should it be called in - early via such as a C&RT wide email - might already have been done, just looking at the other options.

If it were my boat I would be expecting C&RT to give me a high level contact to work with as there is a good chance this stolen boat is still on their waterway and if nothing else I would expect some action for my boat license - another thought have they cancelled their license in case this flags up on any system, might be worth cancelling it retrospectively to see if it then flags up in the data collected, that sort of thing would be eating me up if I thought it was not being pursued?

Alan, I was trying to offer other sources of information maybe from C&RT who could be holding info not yet collated, thought it might be worth the owners chasing C&RT up, as you say you only think you were not recorded on your Pennines trip... and C&RT have got one recording, maybe not yet collated more and finally your last point if this is an anomaly in a data checkers notebook, could/should it be called in - early via such as a C&RT wide email - might already have been done, just looking at the other options.

If it were my boat I would be expecting C&RT to give me a high level contact to work with as there is a good chance this stolen boat is still on their waterway and if nothing else I would expect some action for my boat license - another thought have they cancelled their license in case this flags up on any system, might be worth cancelling it retrospectively to see if it then flags up in the data collected, that sort of thing would be eating me up if I thought it was not being pursued?

Why would you expect 'high level contact'?

Your boat licence is to allow for navigation on CRT waters, the highways agency don't get involved in vehicle thefts so why should CRT in a boat theft.

All well and good if their staff spot something incidental as part of their day job but I don't see why they should deploy any resources specifically to locate this boat.

, even if it is spotted by a data checker, they will not have any available data to put it onto their system.

This raises an interesting point. What does a CRT data checker do if they come across a boat with no license or name or number?

Surely they log it in some way using some details not just ignore it? :unsure:

Why would you expect 'high level contact'?

Your boat licence is to allow for navigation on CRT waters, the highways agency don't get involved in vehicle thefts so why should CRT in a boat theft.

All well and good if their staff spot something incidental as part of their day job but I don't see why they should deploy any resources specifically to locate this boat.

Martin, I see it as good customer services and a way for C&RT to show engagement and support for the significant users of their infrastructure. Just because other agencies do not offer such support does not mean C&RT should not ... An excellent opportunity for them to show positive active and compassionate engagement.

Someone recently posted "what else can we do" I considered C&RT maybe hold data not yet analysed that may give forward more clues to the theft.

I considered C&RT maybe hold data not yet analysed that may give forward more clues to the theft.

CRT have long demonstrated that they are unable to collate the various sources of boat logging information they already have for the purposes of checking that 30,000 boats comply with boat movement requirements. Why do you think they would now be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat for one stolen boat?

• Greenie 1

Hello,

How long does it take to repaint a boat totally ? We are on the Ashby, going down towards the basin. Yesterday around the Stoke Golding area, we saw a boat of what looked to be the same design. It looked brand new, and had the most wonderful paint job very shiny. and it was also named. It may be absolutely innocent so I am not sure that I should name the boat, however, it could possibly be around the Nuneaton, or Hawkesbury junction area by now.

CRT have been very helpful and are going through the data they have and are contacting us today. The Police told us yesterday that they were very active and many Enquiries were being done, we hope this is the case. we are running out of people to inform. Assuming all authorities who have assured us of their help have taken action: all water authorities are aware and have been sent a flier, and very soon most lock keepers will also be aware, most boatyards and marinas also have been informed and a flier sent. Hundreds of boaters travelling and moored all looking. But still no definite sighting,

It seems it may have been altered by now, but given the time and complicity of the work probably the best way now of identifying our boat is the configuration of the windows and the rear platform with the various features that are unusual. Alternatively it is tucked away in a building or covered being worked on or they are waiting for this to die down.

The man at top lock at Fradley we spoke to was sitting on the bench seat when he approached us, he was a pleasant chap who did not have a boat and yes alas, we did say we were from Essex and returning home that weekend and would not be back for a few weeks, and yes also, we are afraid, we told him what marina, and possibly what pontoon we were moored at!

Once again thank you all for this incredible hunt for our boat, we are blown away by your actions,

I generally read the forum anonymously after someone rather spitefully, years ago, claimed "you clearly stole that story for WW from CWDF"

What a curmudgeonly attitude. Surely they meant "Brought the story to the attention of a much wider audience who would find it interesting". Journalists do that, and quite rightly so.

I saw nothing go past here yesterday apart from a Fox's trip boat, twice, and a chap who moors further along our lane.

What a curmudgeonly attitude. Surely they meant "Brought the story to the attention of a much wider audience who would find it interesting". Journalists do that, and quite rightly so.

Isn't that called plagiarism? If it is is it right?

Isn't that called plagiarism? If it is is it right?

No, it's called journalism. Journos constantly report each other's stories, the story doesn't belong to anyone, only the words used to describe it (unless it's completely made up...). That's why the Today programme is listened to by every other current affairs team, for example.

If you are actually using someone else's words, then you should credit those, of course.

Martin, I see it as good customer services and a way for C&RT to show engagement and support for the significant users of their infrastructure. Just because other agencies do not offer such support does not mean C&RT should not ... An excellent opportunity for them to show positive active and compassionate engagement.

Someone recently posted "what else can we do" I considered C&RT maybe hold data not yet analysed that may give forward more clues to the theft.

Well it appears they are.

No, it's called journalism. Journos constantly report each other's stories, the story doesn't belong to anyone, only the words used to describe it (unless it's completely made up...).

Well your dictionary must have a different definition to mine. Mine says:

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

​So the original journalist did the work of finding the story and unless the second journalist credits the story to the first they have by this definition carried out plagiarism. No crediting the first journalist is designed to make the reader think the work is their own.

Just my opinion based on the English language as I have always understood it. I suppose other opinions and understandings are available.

I think it is important that if someone does think they see a possible candidate for the stolen boat, that they inform Chris and Graham immediately by email, phone or on here. - hours later and the boat could have disappeared again.

If I see the boat, i shant have any qualms about informing the police about its location.

I may have worded things badly. I think if you request all available sightings of your boats on the CRT system, that is what you will get. There will not be any hidden entries that you don't see at the time, or which turn up later.

When I referred to "I think" it is because I was relying on memory, (I don't have the data here), and it is just possible we were sighted once in three weeks of very intensive boating, but I don't think so.

Data have seen for my boats, and for other peoples boats, indicates CRT are very good at sending checkers round some major mooring sites every two weeks or so, and repeatedly recording the boats present, but actually do very little checking of casual mooring sites, unless they are considered honeyspot ones.

Our boat carried index plates and licence, but they can not record boats they cannot identify, other than as an unidentified boat.

Try requesting your own data. I could be wrong, in your case, but I think it would probably show that it would not be much use in tracking your boats active movement over a period of several weeks. (Unless you spend time in places like Stoke Bruerne, Foxton, Thrupp, etc, when it will show countless sightings by the volunteer checkers!).

But perhaps the owners of the missing boat can report back again exactly what data CRT think they do hold about it in the time since it was taken. That would be helpful to know.

Spotted a boat with identical stern heading through amington towards fazeley at 2pm yesterday.

Chap In 30's and blonde woman a bit younger.

Couldn't chase after them for a closer look as had 3 kids and 2 dogs in tow.

Couldn't update til now as had no connection

Apologies if it was an innocent lookalike

My wife saw this boat yesterday, and later commented to me that the man and woman blanked her as she waved to them.

However she did not think the window pattern was the same as the stolen boat.

Still worth checking though.

Hi, long time lurker but I have been following this thread avidly.

Possibly a little left field but a thought occurs to me that I don't think has been mentioned. Earlier in the thread some sightings were shown to be "Dog and Duck" a similar NB. Now any sightings of this boat are being being discounted but.... What if the thief has "Cloned" Dog and Duck? It would possibly only take some vinyl signwriting that could be done in minutes and the number of the true Dog and Duck and the stolen boat is dismissed every time it is seen.

I know it would be a bit of a gamble for the thief, running the risk of bumping into their "twin" but it might just have given them a chance to escape until the trail goes truly cold. How similar are the two boats? Would the addition of sign writing be enough to make even someone looking for the stolen boat move on in the search?

This would involve very little work for the thief, wouldn't even need to do any modifications just a quick hour adding some signwriting.

Just a thought..

Mark