* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Just had a very helpful call from Sue at Kings Bromley who tells me that as far as she knows, the police have not located the man who stole Chilton.

A couple sources say he is a John Walsh (from the prescriptions found on board) who is in his 60's, stocky with grey hair and tends to wear overalls. He may have recently left prison. The two thefts have a huge amount in common, including the fact that the boat does not travel too far.

From Facebook:

"our boat may be heading to Atherstone locks, we are on our way, please keep an eye out and if you see a lock keeper could you inform him. We will be there in 20mins approx, thanks all so much!"

This was 45 mins ago, presumably heading south.

From Facebook:

"our boat may be heading to Atherstone locks, we are on our way, please keep an eye out and if you see a lock keeper could you inform him. We will be there in 20mins approx, thanks all so much!"

This was 45 mins ago, presumably heading south.

Already mentioned on this thread.

Take this with a pinch of salt, but the report from Hilmorton is that it was seen there heading towards Hawkesbury, so be aware it could be at the top of Atherstone not the bottom.

Which would suggest it has doubled back, from Stoke Bruerne perhaps? Could it have been "hired" to someone?

Edited by john6767

Take this with a pinch of salt, but the report from Hilmorton is that it was seen there heading towards Hawkesbury, so be aware it could be at the top of Atherstone not the bottom.

Which would suggest it has doubled back, from Stoke Bruerne perhaps? Could it have been "hired" to someone?

Or it could be totally the wrong boat.

Not sure if this is relevant but one of the guys I spoke to says he saw a boat with that stern shape and in those colours pass from Hillmorton in the Braunston direction around two weeks ago. As it was so long ago, it may not be the same boat or if it was, relevant to the current location.

I see from the latest posting on the Chilton thread that the police are still hunting for the thief, and that from the stuff left on board they have a name and know him as recently released from prison. My best guess is that this is the same person, trying to make a quick buck and living on it himself in the meantime. With Chilton he emptied all the owners' belongings but then left plenty of his own things on board when left in (presumably) a hurry.

Tam

Been to Barry Hawkins yard and nothing there, his wife has my number and will call if they spot it, nothing gets past one of the boats in there....

Now sat at lock 10, have passed the details on to every boat moored up and one of the boats on the long term moorings at the bottom of the flight.

Think I might walk up the flight now for a look, problem is, I spoke to the owner and he says the sighting this morning told him they were heading towards atherstone, that's it, so could have stopped anywhere on the north oxford or gone into cov or up the Ashby... I'm moored at the top if the Ashby my the tunnel so will keep an eye out up there tonight and tomorrow morning

• Greenie 2

Been to Barry Hawkins yard and nothing there, his wife has my number and will call if they spot it, nothing gets past one of the boats in there....

Now sat at lock 10, have passed the details on to every boat moored up and one of the boats on the long term moorings at the bottom of the flight.

Think I might walk up the flight now for a look, problem is, I spoke to the owner and he says the sighting this morning told him they were heading towards atherstone, that's it, so could have stopped anywhere on the north oxford or gone into cov or up the Ashby... I'm moored at the top if the Ashby my the tunnel so will keep an eye out up there tonight and tomorrow morning

Thanks, Dave. Are people reporting a single person aboard the boat? Any description of the person/people?

That is a noble thing, privacy. However, in the light of this theft from your marina, I'd consider re-aligning your cameras to cover the pontoons. I can't imagine any of your customers having a problem with that!

Or have CCTV covering the boat entrance/exit.

Or have CCTV covering the boat entrance/exit.

The issue with that is we need to know the day it left, otherwise you are left watching days of replays (although a movement alert may cut down the time). Also, what does it really give you except a vague idea of what the steerer looked like and, perhaps, which way it turned at the exit? If it is already a week or two or even more it is of little use.

We travelled from Braunston to Hillmorton yesterday and don't recall seeing this boat.

Today we weren't on the boat today but after reading this thread I walked Hillmorton Locks and the moorings above and below without seeing the boat.

Tomorrow we will cruise from Hillmorton to Rugby and from there to Hawkesbury.

Late to this post.

We live canalside on the Coventry at Amington, and notice the majority of boats that go past.

Haven't noticed this one go past, but we were away at the weekend.

Will keep an eye out and advise if we see it.

Hope it gets found soon. This used to be a rare occurrence but seems to be happening way to often now.

Fellas, I don't mean to be critical of folks trying to help or simply be supportive, but is a multitude of "I haven't seen it" or "I'll have a look near Manchester when I get back from holiday" type posts filling this very useful thread not in danger of swamping the more helpful reports in it? Bit different if it's responding to a request to report the findings of a check a particular location, of course. Just saying, like biggrin.png

Have walked the atherstone flight, drove around a few bridges and visited Marston and Hawkesbury junctions. No sign.

Time to head back for my dinner.

Well done. I'm sure Graham and Chris would say the same when they see your post.

I think this is what is required. Feet on the ground, sadly.

Fellas, I don't mean to be critical of folks trying to help or simply be supportive, but is a multitude of "I haven't seen it" or "I'll have a look near Manchester when I get back from holiday" type posts filling this very useful thread not in danger of swamping the more helpful reports in it?

No. It shows that people are joining in and showing solidarity.

Will keep an eye out as I'm on the ashby at market bosworth

I have just come from the very top, I walked to the new bridge and I am now moored by the A5 to go to the Lime kiln for dinner. I have been keeping a very careful eye for them but no sign. It is possible that the boat seen at Hillmorton is the same one we saw on the Ashby yesterday, but I think things have moved on and I am trying to catch up.