Solar panels water pooling

homer2911

Featured Posts

Is standing water a potential problem on a horizontally mounted panel?

Potentially if it hangs about it might reduce the output of the panel. You could use it to clean the dust off your panel with a cloth and improve the output though.

I have a windscreen squeegee fitted to a long stick, works a treat, keeps them clean and also food for snow.

Phil

Good idea and one I shall have to steal ;)

Didn't know you had to feed snow though? ;)

I made these solar panels to tilt, but I always leave them flat now. Trouble is the water pools on them & when it evaporates it leaves behind all the muck. So now I have them slightly tilted, doesn't interfere with cruising (i.e.I don't need to move them) & most of the rain & muck runs off, leaving only a bit of dirt down 1 edge = less cleaning.
tiltedsolarpanelnarrowboat.jpg

Edited by Ssscrudddy

I made these solar panels to tilt, but I always leave them flat now. Trouble is the water pools on them & when it evaporates it leaves behind all the muck. So now I have them slightly tilted, doesn't interfere with cruising (i.e.I don't need to move them) & most of the rain & muck runs off, leaving only a bit of dirt down 1 edge = less cleaning.tiltedsolarpanelnarrowboat.jpg

Thanks - you have helped me to crystallise my thoughts of the past day or two. I don't like the big triangular brackets, but my intention is to provide a modest tilt as you have done - just enough to drain the surface

I passed a moored boat recently which had panels mounted on something that looked like a small shock absorber at each corner. This appeared, from the angles the panels were sat at, to allow independent up and down movement such that they could lean fore and aft or port and stbd. They were maybe 4-6 inches long. This would certainly counteract pooling and allow a bit of tilt towards the south. Anyone else seen this or know of the kit?