Biggest single cylinder diesel engine (not semis)

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Just wondered what would be the biggest single cylinder diesel engine not a semis that would fit a narrowboat but be big enought to give some good power.

I was thinking maybe a kelvin k1 arnt these like a 4.1L engine. I know there are a few like jp1 and bolinder 1051 but these are small ish engine im talking about bigger.

And 2 paddles 1 on each side.

Yer i was thinking vertical engines.

Xt1 sounds nice quite big.

Orthe zt1 but i dowt youll find one or get it to fit a narrowboat.

Speaking to the wife think were going to try and hunt down a big andmean big single but keep it a cold start but was quite intrested to see what people came up with

Just wondered what would be the biggest single cylinder diesel engine not a semis that would fit a narrowboat but be big enought to give some good power.

I was thinking maybe a kelvin k1 arnt these like a 4.1L engine. I know there are a few like jp1 and bolinder 1051 but these are small ish engine im talking about bigger.

I think you're right, the K1 is a biggest four stroke single cylinder around suitable for a NB. 22hp IIRC.

Not that there are many around. There is mine, and another in NB Catkin, and that's about it AFAIK.

And 2 paddles 1 on each side.

Yer i was thinking vertical engines.

Xt1 sounds nice quite big.

Orthe zt1 but i dowt youll find one or get it to fit a narrowboat.

Speaking to the wife think were going to try and hunt down a big andmean big single but keep it a cold start but was quite intrested to see what people came up with

Don't forget that the bigger the 1 pot the more the counter will jump up & down when it"s running & a long day standing on a " wobberly" counter can be some what tiring + it will not matter how you bolt it down the boat will still be doing a "jig" my 'Josher with the Semi " Seffle used to slap the base of the counter in the water when without the motor running,the uxter plate was 1" clear of the water.Make sure your teeth fillings are sound if you go down this route clapping.gif

• Greenie 1

Don't forget that the bigger the 1 pot the more the counter will jump up & down when it"s running & a long day standing on a " wobberly" counter can be some what tiring + it will not matter how you bolt it down the boat will still be doing a "jig" my 'Josher with the Semi " Seffle used to slap the base of the counter in the water when without the motor running,the uxter plate was 1" clear of the water.Make sure your teeth fillings are sound if you go down this route clapping.gif

What you're saying is something I have experienced with a single cylinder Brons many years ago, my dentist liked the engine laugh.png .

This will be a lot less and even quite likely reduced to next to nothing with a horizontal 1 pot engine, of which I've had a Deutz MAH-916.

Peter.

Bouncing wouldnt bother me 30 years of bolinders has got me use to this infact its that that i miss the most you can just do it with the national but you have to get it just right to get it to do it constantly but its not much

I think you're right, the K1 is a biggest four stroke single cylinder around suitable for a NB. 22hp IIRC.

Not that there are many around. There is mine, and another in NB Catkin, and that's about it AFAIK.

Yer thought it might be a case of try and find one! Same really with any old engine.

Just intresting to see what you all came up with

Bouncing wouldnt bother me 30 years of bolinders has got me use to this infact its that that i miss the most you can just do it with the national but you have to get it just right to get it to do it constantly but its not much

Bouncing up and down might not bother you, but I wonder what effect it has on the joints and fixings of a wooden hull?

What you're saying is something I have experienced with a single cylinder Brons many years ago, my dentist liked the engine laugh.png .

This will be a lot less and even quite likely reduced to next to nothing with a horizontal 1 pot engine, of which I've had a Deutz MAH-916.

Peter.

Ah Then you will will be into the soft shoe shuffle forward, back, forward, the stop start tango clapping.gif

Bouncing up and down might not bother you, but I wonder what effect it has on the joints and fixings of a wooden hull?

I thought that but didn't like to mention it IIRC it was one of the reasons for the downfall of Seddons boat "Alice"

Dane has mannaged from 29 to now without too much bother. Wooden boats tend to bounce better as the wood gives a little

No stop start tango as the engine with heavy flywheels on either side was fitted transversely.

Peter.

So walking down the street at days end giving a good impression of having consumed a few glasses of the brown liquid? clapping.gif. I certainly had a spring in my step walking after a 14/16 hr day boating

• 1 month later...