Cropredy Spar shop

homer2911

Featured Posts

I used to frequent a pub at Foxton locks and noticed prices seemed higher in summer as apposed the less populated months but you cannot say this is wrong. Small businesses struggle to survive and if they put up prices when they can make more so be it. Better to pay more and it to stay open rather than close due to lack profit.

None of the above answers my original question - is there a special arrangement for locals during that weekend? It just annoys me to be using a shop for a week or more before the festival starts, then stand open-mouthed at the price hikes. It didn't happen with the previous owners. A local friend has told me she doesn't shop there an more at all, simply because of the changes in practices

I doubt there will be any "special measures" for the locals; certainly isn't in Bromyard or Sidmouth when their Folk Festivals are on.

I doubt there will be any "special measures" for the locals; certainly isn't in Bromyard or Sidmouth when their Folk Festivals are on.

...other than, perhaps, their local knowledge will enable them to stock up with milk/beer/whatever the day before the prices rise.

Surely not, Solicitors and estate agents were always first, especially those who now charge buyers a finders feed in addition to charging the sellers.

................Dave

Along with bankers, insurance companies and POLITICIANS!

Bob

None of the above answers my original question - is there a special arrangement for locals during that weekend? It just annoys me to be using a shop for a week or more before the festival starts, then stand open-mouthed at the price hikes. It didn't happen with the previous owners. A local friend has told me she doesn't shop there an more at all, simply because of the changes in practices

I think that the clue is that it is a convenience store, you pay more for the convenience of not having to travel to Banbury to get the bottle of milk that you've run out of. It isn't backed by Aldi, Lidl or any of the other high turnover supermarkets, it is a local Spar shop and you have to pay the local prices if you choose to shop there. There is no way on earth that they can compete with the high turnover supermarkets on price so, sensibly, they don't try.

It also rather demonstrates the unrealistic expectations that we now seem to have. We want a local shop that we can just pop down to when we need a bottle of milk, wine, loaf of bread etc. but we'll go to make our bigger spends in the large supermarkets ignoring the local shop who still has to make a living somehow.

• Greenie 1