dla benefits and carers allowance

colin1325

Featured Posts

You also need to take into account how you would get a home visit from a doctor or actually get to a doctor if you are not in your area, plus getting along the canal path to a place were you can get a taxi or bus. WInter on the canal paths are down right tricky. Also what if someone needs a ambulance, how would they get to you and take who ever along the path or where ever you moor up to the ambulance.

Have you thought about how you two will use the bathroom. They are not the biggest and the logistics for a person who may need to sit of get help washing and using the toilet may prove costly

Not saying it is impossible to get a NB but think about the cost of having a permanent mooring and just going for short local trips as you will need to keep a full electric supply and gas and from what i have learnt the batteries need a lot of topping up if you are a high user

Unless you have worked out how to care for yourself and your wife, I see this rapidly approaching the poor care situation that leads to her being removed officially to a place of safety, which you may well have to pay for. For which they can divert all benefits and take a charge on your property.

Please be very careful that you do have total plans for all the work that is called a "care package" sorted out before you commit to life aboard. If you are realistic you should even consider the laundry. Ill health usually demands lots of clean sheets and clothes expect two full machine was loads daily -one of them a hot wash (cool bio washes don't come up to health care standards of cleanliness).

• Greenie 1

Unless you have worked out how to care for yourself and your wife, I see this rapidly approaching the poor care situation that leads to her being removed officially to a place of safety, which you may well have to pay for. For which they can divert all benefits and take a charge on your property.

Please be very careful that you do have total plans for all the work that is called a "care package" sorted out before you commit to life aboard. If you are realistic you should even consider the laundry. Ill health usually demands lots of clean sheets and clothes expect two full machine was loads daily -one of them a hot wash (cool bio washes don't come up to health care standards of cleanliness).

Now we are getting crazy, offering advice on how hot to wash clothes and bedding, the first line of your post is unbelievable.

But might I suggest that the OP gets a weekend boat, so that they can enjoy the benefits of the canal, but keep their property for when they may need it.

I receive DLA and my husband has carers allowance to look after me. We live successfully and happily on a narrowboat. However we early made the decision that it was essential for us to have a residential mooring because of this. The benefits continued without a problem once we informed the appropriate departments of our change of address.

To us it was the life on a narrowboat that was important so we would have moved anywhere in the country for the right mooring. We were very fortunate and found a residential mooring in an area close to friends without any difficulty. It has not always been an easy life, but my husband took a helmsman course and was advised on how to single-hand our boat, which has proved invaluable over the past four and a half years. Also we read extensively (mostly on this forum) and were very careful on choosing our boat to buy one that was suitable for me to live-aboard on.

It is possible, but for us the need for such things as a permanent address and a doctor who has got to know me and my difficulties, meant that we could not consider continuous cruising as an option. We had to think very hard about how we would work around problems well in advance.

Good luck. We are very happy with our life now.

• Greenie 2

hi yep done the boat trips my wife has many everyday issues involving many things from anxiety thru to diabetes ulsers swollen legs the list goes on but is just part of lives

Doing a few boat trips is nothing like living on a boat full time, especially in the middle of winter.

You have suggested the K & A and moving up and down part of it. I suggest that you do a search on here about "Continuous Cruising and the K & A" and reconsider your options.

Try reading back. The learning is for those who can't skipper the boat and get boat and patient to anywhere that help can get to the boat.

No need to read back, I was just checking if you thought that everyone needed to drive a car too, just in case the driver is taken ill.

Check the Continuious Cruising rules (Boats without home mooring) The K&A canal is one of the heavier policed canals, which makes CCing much more difficult.

Look on maps, can you be within your cycling distance of Dr's/chemists?

Take real notice of other posters comments on boat handling. If you both have only limited experience, then think very hard and carefully, giving up your current home for a boat is a very big step for fit folk, it's not one for anyone with health issue's. With £16k savings you will not get on the housing ladder easily, Council Housing, not available in most areas.

Think

Rethink

Think again

Bod

we have a flat and house we may sale flat an rent our 4 b house just as a safety net

Check the Continuious Cruising rules (Boats without home mooring) The K&A canal is one of the heavier policed canals, which makes CCing much more difficult.

Take real notice of other posters comments on boat handling. If you both have only limited experience, then think very hard and carefully, giving up your current home for a boat is a very big step for fit folk, it's not one for anyone with health issue's. With £16k savings you will not get on the housing ladder easily, Council Housing, not available in most areas.

Think

Rethink

Think again

Bod

foxhangers to bradford 10 miles vive versa bath to bradford 10 as well all nice an flat

Hi I spoke to crt about cc and asked if going from bath top by neighborhoods up thru to seend /foxhangers would b OK and they said yes.

Have you got that in writing? Also, they're bringing in various strategies to manage movement and mooring, so just because one person says that pattern is OK now, doesn't mean you can rely on it always being accepted.

Think

Rethink

Think again

Bod

Your right mate what does cc mean cut chemist I suppose is there a website with that info on

A bit difficult if she cant see

Your right maybe I should ask my daughter to steer in an emergency? Or is that against the cc rules

Fortunately I've been researching living on a boat for 5 or so years and have had conversations with crt and many boaters so I know what were doing the question was regarding benefits and would my wife still be able to claim them colin

• Greenie 1

Fortunately I've been researching living on a boat for 5 or so years and have had conversations with crt and many boaters so I know what were doing the question was regarding benefits and would my wife still be able to claim them colin[/quote

In certain circumstances, yes the benefits can continue.

Bear in mind the Benefits System is set up for fixed addresses, so moving around will badly upset things.

Bod

I receive DLA and my husband has carers allowance to look after me. We live successfully and happily on a narrowboat. However we early made the decision that it was essential for us to have a residential mooring because of this. The benefits continued without a problem once we informed the appropriate departments of our change of address.

To us it was the life on a narrowboat that was important so we would have moved anywhere in the country for the right mooring. We were very fortunate and found a residential mooring in an area close to friends without any difficulty. It has not always been an easy life, but my husband took a helmsman course and was advised on how to single-hand our boat, which has proved invaluable over the past four and a half years. Also we read extensively (mostly on this forum) and were very careful on choosing our boat to buy one that was suitable for me to live-aboard on.

It is possible, but for us the need for such things as a permanent address and a doctor who has got to know me and my difficulties, meant that we could not consider continuous cruising as an option. We had to think very hard about how we would work around problems well in advance.

Good luck. We are very happy with our life now.

Thanx for this information is we use our sons address do u think it would be OK or perhaps our bank address or a local post office ? Colin

Hi we are considering a mooring and obviously will consider a boat anywhere on cut we do fancy k,a also Shellie and g.u.

Thanx for this information is we use our sons address do u think it would be OK or perhaps our bank address or a local post office ? Colin

Hi we are considering a mooring and obviously will consider a boat anywhere on cut we do fancy k,a also Shellie and g.u.

I don't know for sure, because we decided to look for a residential mooring from the start. I think that your son's address might be alright, but suspect that a bank or post office address would make things difficult. However I am only guessing here - have you tried asking the DWP?

Also there is a facebook group called 'Benefits for boaters (liveaboards)'. Some of the members on there seem very knowledgeable and can give good advice.

Thanx for this information is we use our sons address do u think it would be OK or perhaps our bank address or a local post office ? ColinHi we are considering a mooring and obviously will consider a boat anywhere on cut we do fancy k,a also Shellie and g.u.

If you used a bank or local post office do you really think they would be forwarding on your mail as and when you phone them, NO.

Use your son's address. Anyone you now deal with notify them of change of address. Keep a list of all parties you inform. As they send stuff to son's address then and only then can you be sure they have the correct address for the future, now you tick them off your list. Of course set up a royal mail re direct to son's address and anything important still going to old address can be chased up on phone and by letter or e mail. When these odd ones acknowledge your son's address by sending stuff there can you tick them off your list.

Only end the royal mail re direct when all that arrives is junk.

Always remember stuff that might only arrive yearly like perhaps a club membership or investment statement.