Angle grinder in the canal :/

Rendelf

Featured Posts

So yesterday evening, I was packing up all the tools from my exciting day of building a new floor above the engine. I piled them up by the bathroom hatch as I have been this week, and the *"!)(£^" grass that was pretending to be the towpath, was actually just grass. Grass covering a watery abyss. I watched the angle grinder, still warm from its last round of grinding slide through, and spoosh into the dark water.

This morning, I'm going to try and retrieve it, dismantle it, and leave it out in the sun.

Before I get potentially pretty wet, any ideas on if it'll have survived?

just spray with wd40

Don't spray it with WD40. I can;t see the point of this.

Assuming you've retrieved it now, I suggest you just shake out all the loose water out and put it on the hot roof of the boat in the sun and it will dry out.

Don't power it up or test it in any way until it has had about three days in a hot dry place. Ideally about a week. Then I bet it will work fine.

There have been tales on here of grinders going in whist running that still work when thoroughly dried out.

Wash the device in fresh water, dry as much as possible then get some silicon cat litter and put in a box (with your grinder) and seal up, leave for about a week. The cat litter will absorb the moisture from the device.

Pets at Home do the silicon cat litter for about £4.50 a bag.

Edited by Robbo

Wash the device in fresh water, dry as much as possible then get some silicon cat litter and put in a box (with your grinder) and seal up, leave for about a week. The cat litter will absorb the moisture from the device.

Pets at Home do the silicon cat litter for about £4.50 a bag.

Like cat litter, uncooked rice also works well.

Howard

A combination of the above advice is required.

Wash in clean water then dry in the sunshine. Sunshine is a rare resource, use it whilst its here.

Angle grinders get full of particles anyway, a bit of canal water is likely less destructive than grinding residue.

...............Dave

The best water repellent spray I ever used was a product called "Combat" and that was when I worked for Birds Eye. Every night they washed all the machines with high pressure hot water and often when they tried to start them at 5 in the morning there was a big bag due to water in the motor switch gear, We drained the water, sprayed with Combat, changed the fuses and 9 times out of 10 that was it, This was 415 volts 3 phase.

Thanks for responses all.

I was quite pleased with myself...attached some neodymium magnets to a bungee, and managed to retrieve 2nd attempt! Didn't get wet, and didn't lock magnets to piling.

Also met what appeared to be a 4" long crayfish, walking nonchalantly along the waterline.

Opened and on roof for a few days. :D

Other things I've lost this year include:

My favourite hat, a woolen green dearstalker for Czech infantry - bought on a bar. Cratch cover swept it off my head.

Brand new makita drill bit, 'pinged' out of drill as I tightened the chuck by holding ring and drilling...described a wonderfully graceful arc...have never seen a bit do that before or since.

Tapemeasure

Fork I was using to catapult olives at ducks. Mrs R not impressed - aledgedly good fork.

Stainless steel pan lid from IKEA. This turns out to not be quite as posh as it's supposed to be, as magnet trick worked.

The list goes on... I wonder what will be next?

My favourite hat, a woolen green dearstalker for Czech infantry - bought on a bar. Cratch cover swept it off my head.

- not magnetic

Stainless steel pan lid from IKEA. This turns out to not be quite as posh as it's supposed to be, as magnet trick worked.

- some stinless steels ARE magnetic

Glad the AG is on the mend