Walking the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal.

Featured Posts

Not being directly connected to the main system I guess this is one that not many boaters on here have managed to cruise.

Spent a nice afternoon last week walking from the basin in the centre of Brecon to a point about two and half miles and then back. Got back just before the heavens opened!.

Brecon basin.

A trip boat, hire boats and day boats operate from here.

pX9dvH4h.jpg

kZkYldLh.jpg

bmeNHZSh.jpg

Bridge 165

3Wp4CyNh.jpg

HT2JjFCh.jpg

Bridge 165A (more like a tunnel) - that carries the A40 over the canal

i1qrWbXh.jpg

Looking down on the River Usk about 30ft below the towpath.

X6DxfVgh.jpg

There are a number of seats like this along the towpath.

TECuAUfh.jpg

Sculpture that recognises the previous existence of a local tramway to Lime Kilns.

i7AQNGjh.jpg

Lock at Brynich

BOWpA0Rh.jpg

Aqueduct over the Usk and nice moorings at Brynich just past the lock

avk6d2rh.jpg

6w2LX36h.jpg

Time restrictions apply though!

8bpcjDqh.jpg

Brynich Bridge 161

MSkjwJPh.jpg
Edited by MJG

These pictures bring back lovely memories, our first ever boating holiday was on the Mon and Brec, we were hooked after this first trip and bought our first boat 3 years later we are now on our second boat some 8 years on and still loving it. It is a beautiful canal and not too many locks for newbies.

It's a lovely canal, I explored it exhaustively when I lived in Cardiff, walking it's entire length, boating the northern end, cycling the southern end, I saw every inch many times and walked many of the old tramways

If a canal that lovely where accessible from the main network it would overwhelmed

My Mum claims the Mon & Brec was the first canal I saw - that would be over 65 years ago. We often travelled to visit my Dad's relations in the Pontypool area in the 1950's and 60's and used to explore the Mon & Brec and what is now the Brecon Beacons national park.

I feel that the Mon & Brec is the most 'at risk' of CaRT's waterways due to water supply and leaks. Some time ago CaRT warned Defra that sections might have to close on H&S grounds until finance became available.

The Wales Bill might result in the Welsh assembly becoming responsible for Welsh Waterways. Not sure if this would be good or bad thing.

Perhaps Patrick has some thoughts/views.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

My Mum claims the Mon & Brec was the first canal I saw - that would be over 65 years ago. We often travelled to visit my Dad's relations in the Pontypool area in the 1950's and 60's and used to explore the Mon & Brec and what is now the Brecon Beacons national park.

I feel that the Mon & Brec is the most 'at risk' of CaRT's waterways due to water supply and leaks. Some time ago CaRT warned Defra that sections might have to close on H&S grounds until finance became available.

The Wales Bill might result in the Welsh assembly becoming responsible for Welsh Waterways. Not sure if this would be good or bad thing.

Perhaps Patrick has some thoughts/views.

Oh My!High expectations! Puttking me on the spot!

Yes, I do....

There has been a fear for some time that one more catastrophic incident will finish the canal off - some of the enthusiasm for restoration south to Newport and then up the Crumlin Arm is to ensure rather more is at stake next time: think about the logic, regeneration of the canal though the urban areas is predicated on the links to the already popular length in the national park, encouraging some of those tourism benefits into the urban areas. This isn't as daft as it sounds, the distance means that a hotel in central Newport is only fifteen minutes drive from the National Park, with the canal as a common theme. The restored canal wouldn't see anything like the level of use the national park section sees, but it would give Newport, Torfaen and Caerphilly a stake in the whole canal.

Encouraging economic growth to Newport, Torfaen and the Ebbw Vale (The Crumlin Arm is in the Ebbw Vale,which is part of Caerphilly CBC) is a big deal for the Welsh Assembly. Given these lengths of canal are local authority owned, the CRT section coming under closer control for the Welsh Government would make coordination easier and allow the WG to set the priorities. It isn't that CRT are unsympathetic or uncooperative, they are very keen, but CRT have to manage the rest of the network most of which is in England, Whereas the WG could set the canal as a priority for economic development, where the funds would not be competing with other canal priorities but would come from economic development funds.

When the last major breach happened, in 2007? BW, as it then was, took a very high level decision that they were not in the business of closing canals, and withdrew from several other (English) projects to find their share of the funds to put it right. However, for many years there has been sabre rattling along the lines of "we can't afford to maintain this" and CRT may be continuing such things. However, if both the M&B and, say, an embankment on the Shroppie failed CRT would be in a cleft stick - if the Welsh Government are in a position of influence, that "either/or"choice is much diminished

Oh My!High expectations! Puttking me on the spot!

Yes, I do....

There has been a fear for some time that one more catastrophic incident will finish the canal off - some of the enthusiasm for restoration south to Newport and then up the Crumlin Arm is to ensure rather more is at stake next time: think about the logic, regeneration of the canal though the urban areas is predicated on the links to the already popular length in the national park, encouraging some of those tourism benefits into the urban areas. This isn't as daft as it sounds, the distance means that a hotel in central Newport is only fifteen minutes drive from the National Park, with the canal as a common theme. The restored canal wouldn't see anything like the level of use the national park section sees, but it would give Newport, Torfaen and Caerphilly a stake in the whole canal.

Encouraging economic growth to Newport, Torfaen and the Ebbw Vale (The Crumlin Arm is in the Ebbw Vale,which is part of Caerphilly CBC) is a big deal for the Welsh Assembly. Given these lengths of canal are local authority owned, the CRT section coming under closer control for the Welsh Government would make coordination easier and allow the WG to set the priorities. It isn't that CRT are unsympathetic or uncooperative, they are very keen, but CRT have to manage the rest of the network most of which is in England, Whereas the WG could set the canal as a priority for economic development, where the funds would not be competing with other canal priorities but would come from economic development funds.

When the last major breach happened, in 2007? BW, as it then was, took a very high level decision that they were not in the business of closing canals, and withdrew from several other (English) projects to find their share of the funds to put it right. However, for many years there has been sabre rattling along the lines of "we can't afford to maintain this" and CRT may be continuing such things. However, if both the M&B and, say, an embankment on the Shroppie failed CRT would be in a cleft stick - if the Welsh Government are in a position of influence, that "either/or"choice is much diminished

Sorry for putting you on the spot Patrick but your input is much appreciated.

In particular, I have always had a problem with restoration effort being put in whilst the BW/CaRT portion of the waterway is in such a parlous state. Your post has suggested something that I had not considered.

For those wondering what this is about, following a very serious breach in 2007, BW stated that the two thirds of the waterway it owned had over 300 known leaks and it would cost £60m to reline the canal (or £20m to reline just the worst sections). The canals water supply from the River Usk is also under threat due to the Habitats Regulations Directive affecting the Usk Special Area for Conservation. This could lead to summer navigation restrictions.

Subsequently, CaRT has suggested to Defra that it may need to close parts of this waterway if they become unsafe until such time as funds become available.

The Wales Bill might see the principality become responsible for its own waterways.

I see that as a positive for the future of the Mon & Brec.

I cant ever see this canal being opened back up South of Pontypool to Newport.

A lot of the original canal has either been built over with very low bridges or drained and filled.

Would be nice if it was but it would expect it cost 10,s of millions to do.

No worries! I should have had a tongue in cheek smiley! tongue.png

In particular, I have always had a problem with restoration effort being put in whilst the BW/CaRT portion of the waterway is in such a parlous state. Your post has suggested something that I had not considered.

For those wondering what this is about, following a very serious breach in 2007, BW stated that the two thirds of the waterway it owned had over 300 known leaks and it would cost £60m to reline the canal (or £20m to reline just the worst sections). The canals water supply from the River Usk is also under threat due to the Habitats Regulations Directive affecting the Usk Special Area for Conservation. This could lead to summer navigation restrictions.

Subsequently, CaRT has suggested to Defra that it may need to close parts of this waterway if they become unsafe until such time as funds become available.

The Wales Bill might see the principality become responsible for its own waterways.

I see that as a positive for the future of the Mon & Brec.

To put a couple of things into context here, The £60 million would bankrupt CRT, but the WG has a budget of around £16 billion per annum. Of course, they have other things to spend the money on, but if the WG felt the canal was of national importance (national to Wales that is) they have plenty of pots to raid

The threat of restricted water supply is real (despite it having been drawn without hindrance for over 200 years) but slightly bonkers - the environmental damage from allowing the canal to run dry would be huge. That said, such decisions are often as much political as technical, if the political will is to keep the canal going a way will be found to maintain the supply.

I totally agree with your conclusion

I cant ever see this canal being opened back up South of Pontypool to Newport.

A lot of the original canal has either been built over with very low bridges or drained and filled.

Would be nice if it was but it would expect it cost 10,s of millions to do.

The difficult bit is Cwmbran Town Centre, much of the rest is not only intact but actively being restored. Yes, Cwmbran will cost millions, but the prevailing view at the moment is the economic regeneration benefits would be worth it

Edited by magpie patrick

The Welsh Government is in a sticky position since Brexit (ok an even stickier position) as the extent of its funding in the future is an unknown quantity.

Wales benefited from lots of EU money for regeneration etc which has now dried up.

WG priorities are an unknown going forward.