Solar cable got cut can I just re-connect...?

meerlaan

Featured Posts

Hi all,

So my solar cable got cut due to the way the cable was running through the bracket,

I have gone to buy some solar connectors from maplins, can anyone confirm these are the right ones. The lady in the shop was surprisingly unhelpful...

This is what I got : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-cn40-a020-high-power-solar-connector-n55ln

Is it as simple as just fitting this connector? or should I replace the whole cable :(

Thanks for your help

Martin

post-26194-0-05400600-1469091816_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to get both male & female, they come as either one, NOT as a pair.

You will also need a crimping tool, but if you don't have one, maybe you can borrow one (you don't need the specific crimping tool for these connectors, expensive). If you can't get hold of one, then crimp as best you can & solder the joint if you're able.

"And the female should be on the lead from the panel. The male goes on the lead to the controller".

Ah really ! is it ok that there are already ones on the lead...? this will just be another connector.

Yes i remebered to buy both male and female :)

Is soldering necesarry ? could borrow some soldering kit..!

Can I crimp with pliers? :/

"And the female should be on the lead from the panel. The male goes on the lead to the controller".

Ah really ! is it ok that there are already ones on the lead...? this will just be another connector.

Yes i remebered to buy both male and female smile.png

As long as it's always the same way around - female coming from the panel, male going to the controller then yes, it's fine.

Not if you can perform a decent crimp, no.

Probably not. If, after it's crimped, you're unable to pull the connector off the cable then you may well have performed a decent cold weld. If you can pull it off then no, you haven't. Hence soldering is safer if you don't have a proper crimp tool.

Yes i remebered to buy both male and female smile.png

And the female should be on the lead from the panel. The male goes on the lead to the controller.

depends how the panel is wired, I have seen lots of variations.

positive and negative wires from a panel are usually wired differently, I see no indication in the top picture which cable this is.

either copy the way another connector is wired on the same cable, or label it for future reference (cut join)

pliers can be used, if you have a hammer to whack the pliers with, and three hands.biggrin.png other methods are preferable.

Make certain that the controller says sensible things once you are reconnected. Just occasionally the controller may need to be reprogrammed if it forgets what battery voltage your system uses.

The yellow crimp connectors may well take 6mm cable -read their book! If so a pack of yellow butt crimps and a length of heat shrink sleeve will do a permanent job " The yellow types are suitable for cable from 2.5 to 6.5mm." -Maplin web site. Product code ML87U. You may find a decent ratchet crimp tool among friends, or on the maplin shelves.

Edited by Arthur Brown