Crick marina word on the cut

b0atman

Featured Posts

2 seperate boaters state Crick is upping prices for live aboards stopping mail and removing waste oil facility ?

One of boaters said he has now left after many happy years .

Hopefully not true .

I would imagine the waste oil facility was being used (abused) by most of the local DIY car maintenance population so actually costing quite a bit to run.

On a similar note I see CRT around here are fencing off all their boater waste disposal facilities and fitting gates locked with BW key padlocks. Presumably due to a big rise in local residents using them instead of the local council recycling centre.

Waste disposal is becoming a very expensive business.

We have the usual Green & Black "Wheely Bins" for domestic use which are paid for via the Council Tax, but for the business we have 1000 litre 'Biffa Wheely Bins'

The Biffa bins cost £13.99 + VAT each "per lift" (per emptying) for up to 40kgs then £0.20p + VAT per kg above the 40kgs.

As you can imagine 40kgs is not a lot of stuff, and we often have twice that weight in a bin.

One 'Biffa Bin' regularly exceeds £100 cost per month, Multiply that by C&RTs 1000's of bins !!!!!

I would imagine the waste oil facility was being used (abused) by most of the local DIY car maintenance population so actually costing quite a bit to run.

On a similar note I see CRT around here are fencing off all their boater waste disposal facilities and fitting gates locked with BW key padlocks. Presumably due to a big rise in local residents using them instead of the local council recycling centre.

They have tried that in the past, and most of them "lost"their padlocks within the first week. I actually raised the issue with Richard Parry at the Devizes meeting, and he suggested that locked facilities would only be retained at places where they can be supervised, as the cost of constant repair/replacement was more than the cost of removing unauthorised waste.

It gets harder to dispose of rubbish..the tip at Rugby refused to allow my nephew to dispose of rubbish as he had put his car seats flat in the back thus changing his car to a van...similarly my sister drives a 4x4 and its 2 seater without side windows in the back and therefor according to Rugby tip staff a van and we were turned away...all we had was cardboard to recycle and items for the Tip shop.

Its not surprising people fly tip or use others waste bins.

Its getting very stressful going to the tip.

If you cannot use local recycling due to staff attitude where else can people dispose of rubbish?

Because its contractors operating the tips now.

My son carries and disposes of waste and the difference in costs from town to town is frightening. It's domestic waste and weighs next to nothing, but the minimum charge can be from £35 to over £100 per van load. If he had a small lorry it wouldn't be too much more per tip.

Martyn

It gets harder to dispose of rubbish..the tip at Rugby refused to allow my nephew to dispose of rubbish as he had put his car seats flat in the back thus changing his car to a van...similarly my sister drives a 4x4 and its 2 seater without side windows in the back and therefor according to Rugby tip staff a van and we were turned away...all we had was cardboard to recycle and items for the Tip shop.

Its not surprising people fly tip or use others waste bins.

Its getting very stressful going to the tip.

If you cannot use local recycling due to staff attitude where else can people dispose of rubbish?

I tend to treat a visit to my local tip (Redbridge in London) these days as a fitness excercise, a mixed load these days means walking to and climbing up the steps to about six different skips!

My local one requires proof of local address before they will let you in but the one near the mooring (The enormous Aylesbury one on the A41) doesn't although I have to look very nonchulant whilst tipping the contents of Fulbourne's engine bilge into the oil recycling!

Tim

It gets harder to dispose of rubbish..the tip at Rugby refused to allow my nephew to dispose of rubbish as he had put his car seats flat in the back thus changing his car to a van.

Ring the local council office and ask if that is now policy - I'd be surprised if they said it was, sounds more like the contractor trying it on. And the contractor is contracted to the council to supply a service to the residents, its not a stand alone business that the tip owner decided to set up.

Fortunately, the CART policy at Cropredy is more enlightened nowadays. For some years one had to scramble over the metal gate or the wall from the road to reach the bins., as the gate was padlocked. Then, earlier this year, they retained the padlock but never actually used it to lock the gate, which could thus be opened. For the last few weeks there has been no padlock at all, so the gate can easily be opened. It is a great improvement.

Fortunately, the CART policy at Cropredy is more enlightened nowadays. For some years one had to scramble over the metal gate or the wall from the road to reach the bins., as the gate was padlocked. Then, earlier this year, they retained the padlock but never actually used it to lock the gate, which could thus be opened. For the last few weeks there has been no padlock at all, so the gate can easily be opened. It is a great improvement.

In that case it won't be long before our licence fees are funding waste disposal for the entire village of Cropredy, I suspect.

In that case it won't be long before our licence fees are funding waste disposal for the entire village of Cropredy, I suspect.

I am not sure if the facilities are intended solely for boaters' use. The glass recycling facility there is, as far as I know, the only one in the village (unless there's one in the cricket field car park, which is a public car park - not sure about this) so it seems only fair that ecologically-minded local people can deposit their empties there.

I am not sure if the facilities are intended solely for boaters' use. The glass recycling facility there is, as far as I know, the only one in the village (unless there's one in the cricket field car park, which is a public car park - not sure about this) so it seems only fair that ecologically-minded local people can deposit their empties there.

Good point about the glass but recycling is a different issue. What about the non-recycle domestic waste bins? Do we think they are exclusively CRT funded?

As pointed out earlier in the thread, each time one is emptied just once, the bill is typically £100.

Good point about the glass but recycling is a different issue. What about the non-recycle domestic waste bins? Do we think they are exclusively CRT funded?

We don't know, at least this we doesn't. Thinking about it, six enormous bins seems an excessive number if they're exclusively for the use of boaters.

Good point about the glass but recycling is a different issue. What about the non-recycle domestic waste bins? Do we think they are exclusively CRT funded?As pointed out earlier in the thread, each time one is emptied just once, the bill is typically £100.

Landfill tax accounts for some of this, currently £84.40 per tonne, but it rises each year.

https://www.gov.uk/green-taxes-and-reliefs/landfill-tax

Interestingly dredging is excluded from landfill tax.

Edited to add the last sentence.

Edited by cuthound

2 seperate boaters state Crick is upping prices for live aboards stopping mail and removing waste oil facility ?

Hopefully not true .[/q]

Crick is indeed upping prices. You can now have a "leisure mooring" or "Gold mooring". As is my understanding, a gold mooring entitles you to a shed space, a post box, a parking space, laundry, wifi and unlimited time on your boat while its just on its mooring.

Oil disposal is also gone.

Edited by Kez

Hopefully not true .[/q]

Crick is indeed upping prices. You can now have a "leisure mooring" or "Gold mooring". As is my understanding, a gold mooring entitles you to a shed space, a post box, a parking space, laundry, wifi and unlimited time on your boat while its just on its mooring.

Oil disposal is also gone.

That is how i understand the moorings to work, the few gold moorers I've spoken with are happy enough with the new agreement. Obviously the others have moved on.

There's a waste oil facility at Daventry Tip.

But can boaters use it? If they can then for how much longer. In Reading/Wokingham we now have to have a special "tax disc" thing with our own reference number on it to use the council tip. I have seen the contractors turning away people without such discs and many of them live in greater Reading but in West Berkshire who have refused to pay their share of the running costs.

I can see this going nation wide. Pity no one will take such councils to court for aiding and abetting the offence of fly tipping.

I've disposed of oil at HWRC all over the country and not yet been asked for id, although I keep expecting to. Does it make a difference that I always walk in? Given that I've often walked or cycled a couple of miles to get there I think I would be inclined to put the full oil cans on the ground and leave them to it. What could they actually do? No registration number to get a name and address from. Are they going to run after me and physically restrain me?

Having said that, when I buy oil I ask if they can dispose of the old stuff (the law should he such that they have to) At the last place, ABC at Ellesmere, they asked for £2 disposal charge. I was happy to pay it.

Edited by pearley

Having said that, when I buy oil I ask if they can dispose of the old stuff (the law should he such that they have to) At the last place, ABC at Ellesmere, they asked for £2 disposal charge. I was happy to pay it.

Sorry. Barking up wrong tree. Deleted post.

Edited by Higgs

Oil is odd! have a few litres then it costs more than the oil cost to dispose of it, BUT have 200L or more and several oil recycling companies will call on you and pay you for taking the oil away. Lots of truck garages have regular collections -truck engines hold more oil than most.