DeanS' retirement as a mod.

Featured Posts

Odd, I noticed that earlier this evenink too...

Well I thought I noticed it last week because of something he posted but then forgot to check if he stil was.

Checked tonight and he definitely isn't.

It was a few days ago, Tesla has also been taken of the list, both by mutual agreement due to other comitments preventing suitable available time at present.

Following that its expected their will be two vacancies to rep them.

Daniel

I applied and was totally blanked. Good thing really having chatted with a mod or two about the abuse they receive.

If this is your feeling then I very much apologise. However as far as I am aware and certainly very much.my intention to reply to all applicants both on application and once the candidate has been selected.

Daniel

Modding is really weird these days...

I applied and was totally blanked. Good thing really having chatted with a mod or two about the abuse they receive.

Good on you mike for offering your free time to help, lets hope it is taken up.

Modding is really weird these days...

I work in local government. Being on the receiving end of abuse is all part of the fun!

• Greenie 1

Given the amount of complaints and criticisms that any mod has to put up with it is not surprising to me that people come and go in the role. That coupled with changes in circumstances for folk mean they no longer wish to or have the time to continue.

Often as a mod you can't win many complain when they think a mod should have stepped in but didn't or equally that a mod stepped in when it was not needed (often depending on if people think they have been hard done by or not) and receive no thanks if things are running OK.

• Greenie 1

its the forums loss, as i see it a canal forum needs people with a wealth of canal / narrowboat knowledge on its team even if at times they conflict it usually results in the right outcome.

Why exactly?

The skills to be a good moderator have nothing to do with the subject matter of a forum. That knowledge comes from its members, the moderator role is to intervene and act in accordance with the forum rules and guidlines.

To do that does not require an extensive knowledge of the inland waterways or boating.

Why exactly?

The skills to be a good moderator have nothing to do with the subject matter of a forum. That knowledge comes from its members, the moderator role is to intervene and act in accordance with the forum rules and guidlines.

To do that does not require an extensive knowledge of the inland waterways or boating.

this isnt a corprate company - enthusiasm and a knowledge of subjects has to be a bonus on a team running a forum, if not you may as well put an add in the Sun for mods.

this isnt a corprate company - enthusiasm and a knowledge of subjects has to be a bonus on a team running a forum, if not you may as well put an add in the Sun for mods.

I'm not sure of the relevance of the corporate company comment TBH.

I still don't see boating knowledge as essential as having skin like a rhino.

as essential as having skin like a rhino.

why dont you apply wink.png i agree its a tough job - i mod on another site -and the knowledg of the subject is a big bonus but not needed all the time but does help to level arguments when you see them aproaching.

Edited by the barnacle

why dont you apply ;) i agree its a tough job - i mod on another site -and the knowledg of the subject is a big bonus but not needed all the time but does help to level arguments when you see them aproaching.

The problem with 'levelling an argument' using your knowledge of the subject means to a degree you may have to take sides and concur with one side or the other. That to me doesn't fit with the impartiality required.

I would have thought that anyone with a post count in excess of 20,000 has shown a level of commitment and support to this site over the years that would make them perfect 'mod' candidates.

Perhaps our beloved leader should head hunt a few.

Rog

(Maybe I could have worded that a bit better)

............ perfect 'mod' candidates.

In the days before helmets, I was one.

Well I had a Vespa, (reg no BTO 74K), and a Fish Tail Parker.

Then many years later had a Ford Cortina Mk4 - "BTO 574T"

Edit for wandom rords and lutters

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I would have thought that anyone with a post count in excess of 20,000 has shown a level of commitment and support to this site over the years that would make them perfect 'mod' candidates.

Perhaps our beloved leader should head hunt a few.

Rog

(Maybe I could have worded that a bit better)

chairman-mao4576.jpeg

Im thinking thats an unfortunate coincidence?

biggrin.png