Stolen narrowboat - Chilton [***found***]

malcolmm

Featured Posts

We are assuming painted.

As the name was Vinyls, it could be just that they have been removed.

except the panel where the name was changed from blue (the same as the rest of the boat) to red

Nobody wants their boat stolen but you suggested that the person taking the boat may have had a key (I assume you mean to the interior of the boat). Then you asked if the marina had a key.

That's a police matter in my opinion.

Modus Operandi in general is good to discuss I agree.

and I confirmed the marina still has its keys

Yes,

I would be interested to hear an update as well.

It's possible it has been on Facebook somewhere, but I have not actively gone looking for it.

I put the original post onto FaceBook and had almost 900 shares, one of which had someone contact the police and CRT

Yes,

I would be interested to hear an update as well.

It's possible it has been on Facebook somewhere, but I have not actively gone looking for it.

Posts on Facebook are irrelevant, the OP put a request on the forum, and a quick update on here would be appropriate.

Posts on Facebook are irrelevant, the OP put a request on the forum, and a quick update on here would be appropriate.

Give them a chance! They only found out yesterday, and it is possible the police have advised them not to put anything in public. There could be a court case

Richard

Give them a chance! They only found out yesterday, and it is possible the police have advised them not to put anything in public. There could be a court case

Richard

Withdrawn as it may appear insensitive.

Edited by David Schweizer

Not quite irrelevant it was through Facebook that the boat was found I believe , it days gone by I can imagine CWDF members finding it.

I would be interested to learn how a statement advising that the boat has been recovered can compromise any impending prosecution, as long as no relevant details are revealed.

When I have done all the necessary study, I'll give you proper legal advice. Meanwhile, I can imagine several circumstances that mean the owner hasn't or cannot answer here yet.

Have patience

Richard

I'm thinking of fitting something to the tiller arm that would prevent any extension being fitted. it would be secured with a padlock. Would this be a good dterrent? It's impossible to steer without the extension.

That's a good idea. On Theodora to make this work you would need a six inch length of steel tube with a holes drilled matching the one in the swan neck and a long hasp padlock to go through the whole thing.

Nick

ETA Richard has already said this in different words.

Edited by Theo

Hi Guys, I am happy to report that Chilton is most definitely back in the possession of the owners. As I am sure you will all appreciate they have had a lot to deal with and I know they appreciate everything that everyone has done.

Now we have a new mission. Anyone that knows Kings Bromley Marina will know that it is a quiet rural marina. Maybe there is no ugly green gates on the pontoons but there is security.

The owners of Chilton had employed an engineer to carry out work and the keys were returned to the office (and remain there) so know one turned a head when just days later a man in overhauls strutted along with keys in his hands and confidently took the boat off a particularly challenging mooring with no site of the exit

So in conclusion: who knew the owners were not on board and would be for some time, as they were having work carried out

Who knew where to exit the marina when it was clearly not in sight?

Once taken Chilton moved along the Staffs & Worc from Gailey to Gt Haywood and back again. That leads to the conclusion that someone had to stay in the area.

Why?

It is not enough to find the boat, return the boat, put the boat back together. We need to find this guy.

Can you help?

The owners of Chilton had employed an engineer to carry out work and the keys were returned to the office (and remain there) so know one turned a head when just days later a man in overhauls strutted along with keys in his hands and confidently took the boat off a particularly challenging mooring with no site of the exit

I may have a nasty suspicious mind but if this guy had keys then they must have been copied at some point. With the available evidence there seems to be only 3 scenarios when they could have been copied:

1. By somebody who manages to get access to the owner's keys.

2. By somebody getting access to the Marina's key.

3. By somebody getting access to the marina key while in the hands of the engineer.

Hi Guys, I am happy to report that Chilton is most definitely back in the possession of the owners. As I am sure you will all appreciate they have had a lot to deal with and I know they appreciate everything that everyone has done.

Thanks for the update.

Are you able to confirm that other than the obvious repainting the owners have got the boat back still in good order, and with no expensive damage or anything obvious missing.

It is very odd that they started to back towards where it was taken from.

Thanks for the update.

Are you able to confirm that other than the obvious repainting the owners have got the boat back still in good order, and with no expensive damage or anything obvious missing.

It is very odd that they started to back towards where it was taken from.

Not if they were hanging around waiting for a crane and lorry to arrive.

Not if they were hanging around waiting for a crane and lorry to arrive.

If that were to be the case how many firms would be likely to carry out such a job? Would it be feasible for the police to check firms for a "lift" which didn't take place?

Someone earlier in the thread thought they saw it tied up with another boat, an old scruffy one. I would go with the theory he was going to transfer the number and name from the "sinker". Maybe the OP's posessions have been chucked inside that, sounds like a lot of stuff to dispose of.

More theory: that's why thief went somewhere then doubled back and possibly where he is now. I'd be looking for that boat.

Someone earlier in the thread thought they saw it tied up with another boat, an old scruffy one. I would go with the theory he was going to transfer the number and name from the "sinker". Maybe the OP's posessions have been chucked inside that, sounds like a lot of stuff to dispose of.

More theory: that's why thief went somewhere then doubled back and possibly where he is now. I'd be looking for that boat.

Yes, you could be right there, it would be a good idea to find that boat and check it out.

Peter.