Stolen narrowboat - Chilton [***found***]

malcolmm

Featured Posts

This message posted 19th July - our narrowboat Chilton has been stolen from Kings Bromley Marina on the Trent and Mersey - has anyone seen it?

It has been brought to our attention by CRT staff who noticed it on the Staffs and Worcs a day or so ago north of Penkridge, heading south - it came to their attention because the boat index number and licence details had been removed. We have no idea who has taken it or how - however fellow moorers at Kings Bromley think it was taken by 'a thickset man in his 50's wearing overalls'. However we are obviously extremely concerned as we fear it may be being taken somewhere to be resprayed and sold.

It is dark blue with a red handrail, and has the name Chilton in a half moon shape at the rear - picture below.

uQrOkd.jpg

If you come across it, please alert CRT staff, who are looking out for it, or the police, who have also been notified.

Many thanks!

Chilton Built by Orchard Marina Build - Length : 18.288 metres ( 60 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 38 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 520815 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

A day or so ago means it could be most of the way up the Shroppie, in Stourport or in the wilds of the BCN by now.

Hope you find it, I would be out there looking like mad if it was my boat.

Edited by matty40s

Is the artwork painted or vinyl? Vinyl lettering leaves a shadow still visible after a couple of coats of paint.

They're unlikely to change the engine (unless that was the reason for stealing it) so what is it?

Is there a remote greaser visible which side is it?

Is there anything you've added to the exterior of your boat that you would immediately recognise?

Have you any other photos to share, that also show the hull shape, front end, back end, position of guards?

It was a good idea to quote the crime number, sadly it's the authorities themselves who don't always take sightings seriously from members of the public without it.

If I were you I'd also being seeking assurance from CRT that such information is circulated to staff and volunteers as a matter of procedure and not by checking records of things they might have spotted by accident.

I wish you every luck

We cruised from Coven Heath to Penkridge today. Sorry, but no sign of your boat.

However we saw a PCSO on a bike, cycling the towpath apparently checking boats.

Looks like I now know why.

Good luck, and we'll keep an eye open.

Rog

It really would be well worthwhile posting pictures of the front and rear ends if you have them. The picture you have used does not give a lot away, as even the hull sides are obscured, and all it really shows are gunwales and one side of the cabin.

As has been said, detail like bow shape, and position of guards, ("rubbing strakes") are useful pointers, as are things like the tiller shape and how it attaches to the rudder stock.

Is the window layout identical on the other side of the boat, or does it, for example, have a side hatch?

From the one picture I would have thought that the design of the stern area is a bit different and some detailed pictures of that would be very helpful for anyone in a position to look out for it.

Have you also spread the word on Facebook and Twitter, I haven't noticed anything there.

That window layout is quite distinctive, and I can't imagine anyone quickly changing it.

Alan's point about the windows is that boats don't always have the same window layout on both sides, and often you cannot easily see the opposite side of a suspect boat.

The only significant feature I can see which would help identify it once the name is painted out is would be those odd looking seats or gas lockers on the stern.

I'd have struggled to take a photo of this boat that gives away any less information!

Thanks to all those who have posted.

Here are a couple more pictures:

Z0V78y.jpg

FBRZOv.jpg

We were alerted to the loss by CRT yesterday afternoon, as one of their inspectors had found the boat moored (neatly) just north of Penkridge on the Staffs and Worcs, heading south, last Friday morning, with index number and licence information removed. The same inspector checked again last night - the boat is no longer there.

I could post many more pictures but I'm not sure they would help - there are hundreds of boats on the network with similar colouring, many with similar features - but there are no other boats with the name Chilton. The name was applied with vinyl lettering so could now have been removed - but it hadn't been last Friday.

Once again we would appreciate any information anyone may have, though if the boat is seen the police should be informed. Thanks all.

I think those help a great deal, and make it far easier for someone to spot the structure even if the boat has had a quick repaint.

I do think we need to know if the other side has a similar window layout, or, if not, how it differs.

Do you have an additional picture of the other side, please?

Thanks to all those who have posted.

Here are a couple more pictures:

Z0V78y.jpg

FBRZOv.jpg

We were alerted to the loss by CRT yesterday afternoon, as one of their inspectors had found the boat moored (neatly) just north of Penkridge on the Staffs and Worcs, heading south, last Friday morning, with index number and licence information removed. The same inspector checked again last night - the boat is no longer there.

I could post many more pictures but I'm not sure they would help - there are hundreds of boats on the network with similar colouring, many with similar features - but there are no other boats with the name Chilton. The name was applied with vinyl lettering so could now have been removed - but it hadn't been last Friday.

Once again we would appreciate any information anyone may have, though if the boat is seen the police should be informed. Thanks all.

Good photos of the bow and stern. Very helpful as those details remain the same even once the boat has been painted green. Got any pics of the starboard side?

Looks like a LIverpool Boats shell to my eye so yes plenty around. But things like the engine 'ole air vent are hard to disguise and not all LB's will have them. What engine is under those boards?

The more info you can post, the more folk on here get the bit between their teeth and search. Chances of finding it are actually pretty good I'd say as there are a LOT of forum members out and about on the cut.

If it is, then it lacks the distinctive 'C' just behind the stem post

Richard

Sorry to be ignorant, but what's the stem post?

We have a Liverpool boat, very similar looking to Chilton. Hope that the boat is found soon, can't think of anything worse... :(

Chilton Built by Orchard Marina Build - Length : 18.288 metres ( 60 feet ) - Beam : 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.61 metres ( 2 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 38 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 520815 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

A day or so ago means it could be most of the way up the Shroppie, in Stourport or in the wilds of the BCN by now.

Hope you find it, I would be out there looking like mad if it was my boat.

From the latest info posted does it make this posting incorrect?

One more picture of starboard side;

p0tLUD.jpg

Engine is Canaline 38 - boat type is a Hanbury Peacock 60 foot, built by Collingwood of Liverpool in Feb 2012.

Once again, thanks for any info.

So its a Liverpool boat without the C at the bows, that must make it a bit distinctive