The Boat Behind You.......

Woodstock25

Featured Posts

a bit like asking a petrol tanker to drive with particular courtesy to crawling holiday drivers in Devon while he is trying to make several deliveries during the day while keeping within his working time limits.

Do you buy your petrol from the tanker driver then?

I think the point is that you have given your version of events, the other chap isn't in a position to do likewise, and things are often different according to the perspective.

Well actually, if it was one of the regular fuel boats on the stretch described, I suspect the operator of that boat probably is a member on here, although I'm not sure how regularly these days.

It would be interesting what they say, but I simply can't believe the story as written, I'm afraid.

If a fuel boat has a queue of people to serve as you pass them, then that is going to take may, many minutes, even if they don't serve others subsequently.

In that considerable time, I would then expect you to be so far ahead, that they are never going to come close to catching up if you keep going at an even half way reasonable speed. They will struggle to better 4mph, whatever they do, frankly.

If they did catch you again quite soon, something you are telling us doesn't stand scrutiny.

These guys are very experienced, and it is not in their interest to upset potential punters - the ones I know, (and I know a lot of them personally), seem to be to be the model of good behaviour. - it is in their very strong interest not to acquire a negative reputation.

I hope the operator of which ever boat it was does post here, and set the record straight.

Whether of not the account given by the OP is the full facts, one point does come to my mind and that is if you are trying to force the hand of the boat in front of you to let you past by 'tailgating' him surely the ultimate efffect will be for him to travel even slower since, if you are only a boat length behind, you are taking water from him and could bring him to an almost complete stop. I had a muppet do this to me across the Pontcysyllte aquaduct and he couldn't seem to get it through his thick head that if he got close up behind me neither of us were going anywhere unless he could fit wings to his boatwacko.png

Do you buy your petrol from the tanker driver then?

do you not understand supply chains then?

if the tanker has SHELL written large, would a 'discourteous' driver put you off buying their fuel, if there was no other petrol station for miles? similar to buying from a fuel boat in the middle of nowhere.

a bit like asking a petrol tanker to drive with particular courtesy to crawling holiday drivers in Devon while he is trying to make several deliveries during the day while keeping within his working time limits.

Not the tanker drivers I know - any complaints about their attitude or driving and the driver is investigated by their employers, safety is paramount.

I buy fuel from fuel boats , great all round service 12 months of the year.

Some people are arses and some people do go faster than others, maybe even too fast. But the OP notes that he slowed down for a bend, and this was the cause of the boat behind shouting at him - and in that aspect at least I have some sympathy for the fuel boat. A loaded boat can't slow down as quickly as a little leisure boat, and, more importantly, wouldn't want to slow down for a bend as a. they would already have planned in their head how to take it at their current speed (and would have little margin for error) and b. would want to keep up the speed in order to steer more effectively and actually get round the bend. By 'tailgating' he probably was indicating his readiness to come by - if he'd stayed well back the other boat would never have known and yes, if you have a big prop it can be hard to go as slowly as some people like to. It is just as much a matter of courtesy to let a faster boat by as it is not to intimidate a slower one.

• Greenie 2

Some people are arses and some people do go faster than others, maybe even too fast. But the OP notes that he slowed down for a bend, and this was the cause of the boat behind shouting at him - and in that aspect at least I have some sympathy for the fuel boat. A loaded boat can't slow down as quickly as a little leisure boat, and, more importantly, wouldn't want to slow down for a bend as a. they would already have planned in their head how to take it at their current speed (and would have little margin for error) and b. would want to keep up the speed in order to steer more effectively and actually get round the bend. By 'tailgating' he probably was indicating his readiness to come by - if he'd stayed well back the other boat would never have known and yes, if you have a big prop it can be hard to go as slowly as some people like to. It is just as much a matter of courtesy to let a faster boat by as it is not to intimidate a slower one.

Does this mean then that the fuel boat has no consideration for any other boat and just motored at his full speed to get round the bend? And to hell with anyone else 'so that's OK then is it? It seems clear he was intimidating the OP and should be reported, maybe his attitude to leisure boaters needs addressing.

Does this mean then that the fuel boat has no consideration for any other boat and just motored at his full speed to get round the bend? And to hell with anyone else 'so that's OK then is it? It seems clear he was intimidating the OP and should be reported, maybe his attitude to leisure boaters needs addressing.

Or does this mean then that the OP has no consideration for any other boat and just reduced his speed to to a snail's pace to annoy the boat behind? And to hell with anyone else 'so that's OK then is it? It seems clear he was deliberately antagonising the fuel boat and should be reported, maybe his attitude to other boaters needs addressing.

As has been said, we have only heard one side of this story.

• Greenie 1

A boat comes up behind I move over let him pass.

I catch a boat up and if he fails to invite me to pass I will if frustrated (rare) stop and put the kettle on or just reduce speed.

What a fuss this all is. Life's to short folks it really is.

• Greenie 4

yawnnn..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just to add, you weren't there - so being quite so judgemental without being in possession of all the facts has no value at all. Thanks for your contribution! Oh, and it wasn't just us, as the boat in front of me had the same issue!

Just thought I say hello by the way. My third post on here.....:clapping: , and not quite the response I was expecting!!!

Well over many years on here I have seen numerous tails of discourteous treatment by other boaters and (quite rightly) people point out that there is often another side to the story. If the fuel boat skipper is not a member here they will be unable to give their version of events, if he his they will.

That is why I was encouraging you to name the boat as I am sure somebody will not only know who they are and if they are members. If they are members it would be good to hear what they have to say, in the interests of fairness.

The OP states he slowed down for a bend and still overlooked it - this mistake alone I'm sure will have caused a following boat to close rapidly. If once past the working boat sped into the distance so I'm guessing the OP was going fairly slowly as if loaded I doubt many would outpace a newish semi trad on a shallow canal. I've seen some arrogance by empty 'show' working boats in leaving gates open when your the following boat etc etc . However those that work for a living are in my experience not only very competent boatmen but also behave reasonably.

I am told the person who's boat it was is aware of the thread, so it is up to them if they wish to give their version of events.

Now I have re-read the detail, I would agree with a comment made to me elsewhere that it would be a rare achievement to be able to make 4mph in the Rugely area on an historic boat!

I am told the person who's boat it was is aware of the thread, so it is up to them if they wish to give their version of events.

Now I have re-read the detail, I would agree with a comment made to me elsewhere that it would be a rare achievement to be able to make 4mph in the Rugely area on an historic boat!

The trouble now of course is we will now all be speculating about which fuel boat skipper/member it is?

Not if they choose to post a response!

Well yes, but until then the wheels of the CWDF speculation machine will be grinding away....

Ed, but clearly not for long!!

Edited by MJG

I catch a boat up and if he fails to invite me to pass I will if frustrated (rare) stop and put the kettle on or just reduce speed.

A greeno for sanity.

I guess stopping for a cuppa works when you only boat for leisure....

but as I understand it fuel boats have a schedule to keep, at least to some degree so if you lose time and potentially let people down your reputation suffers as a result.

I think efficient boating techniques are seen as being in an impatient rush these days.

As Mike states if more boaters took a good line through bridges there would be less horn blasting and bashing of boats as well.

Mike , you top boater and hat off to you for coming on this and saying what happen. you always a gent and no different . May this person like to attend Alvecote this year and try to turn your boat outside the Pub?

I have to bring my chalk and in the middle of the night write " jaws" on your boat

Move on please, nothing to see here.

Thanks to Victoria for the response, but even without it I consider Valeries response was accurate.

If any boat is catching up with you, let it pass. Saves a stiff neck from constantly trying to monitor it.

And to the op. It's a mistake to assume what response your post will elicit. Be careful, you may not get the answer you hoped for because sometimes we can all be in the wrong. Don't give up, this is a good place, but we don't always think the same as you.

(Or me ;) )

Rog