Poor Mooring

New to this

Featured Posts

Ok as my name says I am new to boating but thought I would share this to elicit comment on what you see

Went for a stroll this morning, insomnia is a bitch :( anyhow between Stourton to Kinver (a beautiful walk)

Anyhow got to Dunsley Tunnel, will let you judge from the pictures the appropriateness of this mooring

I will make the following observations on this.

There was nothing moored in either direction for at least 1/2 mile.

It didn't look from debris around that this was a recent (emergency) mooring

Other than being in the middle of absolutely anywhere being specifically parked here as opposed to 100 yards in either direction doesn't serve any purpose that I can see, no water point or pub near by.

post-13606-0-73316100-1468813792_thumb.jpgpost-13606-0-68744500-1468813825_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the extremely enjoyable view visible in the right-hand picture gives a clue as to why the boater parked there.

Are you suggesting that the boat is too close to the tunnel entrance? I've seen worse. He's very tight into the side, too.

Edited by Athy

Its also rather shallow on the cliff side of the canal there. Whenever we meet a boat coming out of the the tunnel and have to move from the centre of the channel we have run aground.

Of course the moored boat's owner may not know that, but in my view its a not a helpful place to moor.

Edited for typos

Edited by jonesthenuke

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what on earth this post is about.

It's a picture of a moored boat and......?

Mystifying/

and I reckon it's further away from the tunnel entrance than it looks in the photo due to foreshortening.

Edited by MJG

Personally I wouldn't think twice about seeing a boat moored there, but I'm not familiar with the location or how deep either side of the canal is.unsure.png

And before anyone shouts "it's ok for her, she's bound to have a bow thruster in the fat boat", we don't, unless you include me out front with me boat pole rolleyes.gif

As for "debris"; are we talking about that blue chair? If so, pack it up and send it down to me, I'd love to have a spare tongue.png

Well, maybe this isn't the worst example we've ever seen, but there is a rather odd propensity for some folk to moor close to bridge holes, bends, right up to short lock landings, opposite obstructions or overhanging trees, thick reeds or bushes creating pinch points when there's plenty of room around to avoid doing so. Sometimes its just how moorings are, but in the middle of nowhere, you do have to wonder why you're having to negotiate a blind bend of their making, duck under that hawthorn, come alongside before them for the lock, or generally struggle to avoid them. We'll not sort it though, cos it clearly doesn't even cross their minds.

• Greenie 1

If this looks like bad mooring to you Mr New, I think is reflects the accuracy of your appellation!

Once you really get out and about on the cut you'll encounter far worse examples than this.

I think his name is actually Mr. This, though his friends call him Newto. Like that old pop singer Nosmo King, y'know.

Yes, some people's unerring accuracy in mooring on the only sharp blind bend within three miles sometimes astounds me.

I think his name is actually Mr. This, though his friends call him Newto. Like that old pop singer Nosmo King, y'know.

Good point. Some people are routinely called by the first name preceded by a title e.g. 'Mr'. Especially when being addressed or referred to by their inferiors.

Yes, some people's unerring accuracy in mooring on the only sharp blind bend within three miles sometimes astounds me.

Ah now, there may be an effect at work here you may have overlooked.

Come evening and you seek a mooring space in a popular spot, you find a space and squeeze in. Come morning, after a heaving night on the Directors', you wake and rise at the crack of noon to find all the boats surrounding you last night have vanished and you're the only one present, moored in what now is an obviously awkward position.

Not your fault. The fault of all the others, obviously!

(Spelling ejit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ah now, there may be an effect at work here you may have overlooked.

Come evening and you seek a mooring space in a popular spot, you find a space and squeeze in. Come morning, after a heaving night on the Directors', you wake and rise at the crack of noon to find all the boats surrounding you last night have vanished and you're the only one present, moored in what now is an obviously awkward position.

Not your fault. The fault of all the others, obviously!

(Spelling ejit.)

In those circumstances, I would do what disgruntled company employees do: blame the Directors.

Next, I bet we get the awkward quad turning up here and claiming the tunnel was there first...

What you need to bear in mind Mike is that the tunnel was there first and the moorer really ........ (I am sure you can make up the rest of this rant!)

Edited by NickF

To my newbie eyes, it defo looks like the boat was first and then the earth cooled and the seas turned to rivers hence the bridge being built afterwards

You chaps have to bare in mind that everyone and everything was shorter in Noah's days, so two elephants,tigers and Man U supporters could actually fit inside a narrow boat back then.

Official Internet fact (starting from today)

• Greenie 3