fuel leak off bodge

Featured Posts

I am doing a bit of work on my generators at the moment. Fuel lines etc.

The big mains Genny was plumbed to send fuel back to the filter and this caused leakage in the leakoff pipes which resulted in fuel sitting on top of the engine (not good). Lister LPW3 engine.

Anyway I recently added a small HFL Dc generator to the engine hole and it too needs a leak off which has considerable amounts of fuel going through it due to the electric fuel pump and 'self bleeding' fuel system.

Anyway

Is it going to be OK to route both of these generator leak off/return pipes via 3/16" pipes to a fitting in the top of the tank which has an 8mm outlet? I intend to just shove the thin pipes into the 8mm pipe and fill the gap with sikaflex.

I realise this is a bodge but it seems to me like too much fannying agout to do reducers and tees etc etc when it is just a bit of fuel going back to the top of the tank. i.e. no chance of syphon problems.

What is the best approach.

Edited by magnetman

Not sure if this is a wind-up, but in case you mean it, there is no way this would pass the BSS examination, assuming the examiner can see it.

From the BSS -

Fuel line connections must be screwed, compression, cone, brazed or flanged.

Fuel hose connections must be either pre-made end fittings on hose assemblies or hose clips/clamps onto hose nozzles or formed pipe-ends.

and not to mention -

Fuel feed, return and on-engine hoses must be marked, to denote both suitability for the fuel used and fire resistance, to BS EN ISO 7840 or an equivalent standard.

I did mean it and it would not be visible and due to the way the pipework would be arranged it would be completely safe anyway with no possibility of any leakage as it happens.

I will use a reducer and a tee for the job :)

Quite right definitely better not to bodge it.