Vetus Electric Fuel Pump

mkn777er

Featured Posts

I have a small boat fitted with a Vetus M2.05 engine. This engine I believe was originally supplied with a mechanical fuel lift pump but mine is fitted with an electric fuel pump. I am thinking of changing the fuel pump. But here is the problem.

The pump is available on the Vetus website but the cost is an eye watering £349.00. What appears to be the same pump in terms of size and specification is widely available on a famous internet auction house for just £20 which is a spectacular difference. These are the links:

http://www.vetus-shop.com/electric-fuel-lift-pump-for-vetus-m3-and-m4-p-2981.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Facet-Red-Top-Style-Fuel-Petrol-Diesel-Pump-Kit-Universal-12V-Electric-HRF-027-/391375872622?hash=item5b1fd1e26e:g:Np4AAOSwXshWrfqg

Now I am aware that you have to pay a premium for 'genuine' Vetus components, but the price of the 'universal' pump is not much more than the price of the Vetus filter for the pump!

Has anybody any experience of these cheaper (Chinese presumably) fuel pumps and more importantly if I get one, will it work? Many thanks

I have a small boat fitted with a Vetus M2.05 engine. This engine I believe was originally supplied with a mechanical fuel lift pump but mine is fitted with an electric fuel pump. I am thinking of changing the fuel pump. But here is the problem.

The pump is available on the Vetus website but the cost is an eye watering £349.00. What appears to be the same pump in terms of size and specification is widely available on a famous internet auction house for just £20 which is a spectacular difference. These are the links:

http://www.vetus-shop.com/electric-fuel-lift-pump-for-vetus-m3-and-m4-p-2981.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Facet-Red-Top-Style-Fuel-Petrol-Diesel-Pump-Kit-Universal-12V-Electric-HRF-027-/391375872622?hash=item5b1fd1e26e:g:Np4AAOSwXshWrfqg

Now I am aware that you have to pay a premium for 'genuine' Vetus components, but the price of the 'universal' pump is not much more than the price of the Vetus filter for the pump!

Has anybody any experience of these cheaper (Chinese presumably) fuel pumps and more importantly if I get one, will it work? Many thanks

I believe all vetus M series engines have electric pumps but could be wrong. Mine has. No experience of those, but others have fitted "pattern" electric pumps to Vetus engines. I think they are a fairly ordinary fuel pump. Thornycroft used to supply them at a sensible price, but they seem to be no longer trading. Might be worth talking to Diamond Diesels at Yorkshire. They are the importers for the base engine. ASAP supplies might be worth a call.

ps Is it not pumping enough fuel? If not have you checked the little filter inside the fuel pump? If this is blocked it can make the pump appear to be not pumping properly. They are about a fiver.

Edited by Guest

I am sure that the Facit pump will be fine. In fact I recently visited a small Vetus that had that style of pump changed for the box like Facit pump and that pump was also fine (once the owner grasped that it was an electric fuel pump that needed a supply and not a fuel cut off solenoid).

What is wrong with an electric lift pump?

I understand from the Ebay link that the OP i planning on replacing one electric pump for another. wondered if the original pump appears to be knackered, but the small filter is blocked; a lot of RCR breakdowns are due to this unknown filter. Arrow in pic shows cover where filter lives.

post-910-0-67354800-1468775754_thumb.jpg

Has the pumped packed up. If not why are you changing it. Be more clear.

Thanks all for your responses. I am aware of the filter in the pump and have recently purchased one, but have to get back to the boat to change it. If the filter change does not solve my problem then I am just trying to 'think ahead' as to my next option ie change the pump. My symptoms, which I'm told is not unusual for these engines goes along the lines of:

Engine starts easily, runs well at idle, accelerates, decelerates etc. Will also quite happily do this whilst in gear and tied to its moorings. It seems as if it will be happy to this all day. But as soon as you take it out onto the canal it frequently will 'die'. It almost feels like its suffering from fuel starvation and often the cure is nothing more than leaving it for a few minutes and starting the engine again. As I say, I was recently told by a Vetus engineer that this is one of the most common 'faults' that he hears about and is normally cured by changing the filter. Hopefully that will work for me. If not, and on the back of what you said I think for the sake of £20 it will be worth a try to change the pump as well! The engine is circa 1992 and so it would not surprise me if the pump needed changing. Thanks again.

http://boatlife.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/fitting-my-numax-cxv31-batteries-fuel.html?m=1

Have a look at the link above. You need to scroll down page to the fuel pump bit.

The problem with the valve might be hour problem but it usually is only when engine will not run at all. So I post this so that others with the same pump will be aware of a possible reason their pump has failed.

Worth checking before buying new pump or might just get u going a bit quicker.

By the way, one other thing I have just thought of. I'm sure in the past I could audibly hear the pump 'clicking' with the ignition switched on before starting the engine. Since I have started focusing on the pump I can no longer hear any clicking. It may be that I am trying to over analyse things but if the pump was functioning normally should it make an audible clicking noise? Also, if it had failed would the engine start and run okay - by 'gravity' feeding presumably?

By the way, one other thing I have just thought of. I'm sure in the past I could audibly hear the pump 'clicking' with the ignition switched on before starting the engine. Since I have started focusing on the pump I can no longer hear any clicking. It may be that I am trying to over analyse things but if the pump was functioning normally should it make an audible clicking noise? Also, if it had failed would the engine start and run okay - by 'gravity' feeding presumably?

Mine makes an audible clicking noise when turning key on, and I'm quite deaf, so yes it is loud.

Try a meter reading/test lamp at the pump for voltage before parting with your hard earned; the connections on the wiring looms have been known to fail on these engines.

Hi valrene9600

Sorry, I think I crossed with your post above. Thanks for the link, great article and I think the most encouraging sentence was "these filters need changing regularly". I have a sneaky suspicion that the the filter on my pump has never been changed, so I am becoming more hopeful that this will cure my problem. If not, it is also encouraging to note that the other much cheaper pumps are a suitable alternative.

Mine makes an audible clicking noise when turning key on, and I'm quite deaf, so yes it is loud.

Try a meter reading/test lamp at the pump for voltage before parting with your hard earned; the connections on the wiring looms have been known to fail on these engines.

Now that is interesting. Another problem, which is next on the list is an intermittent tacho. Sometimes it works fine, other times not at all. I assumed this was a wiring problem, so perhaps there is a problem with the wiring loom.

Hi valrene9600

Sorry, I think I crossed with your post above. Thanks for the link, great article and I think the most encouraging sentence was "these filters need changing regularly". I have a sneaky suspicion that the the filter on my pump has never been changed, so I am becoming more hopeful that this will cure my problem. If not, it is also encouraging to note that the other much cheaper pumps are a suitable alternative.

Forgot to mention the valve is a check valve to stop drain back when pump is higher than tank

Now that is interesting. Another problem, which is next on the list is an intermittent tacho. Sometimes it works fine, other times not at all. I assumed this was a wiring problem, so perhaps there is a problem with the wiring loom.

It may well be (check the multi pin plug at the back of the engine) but again, I experienced mine being intermittent just before it died.

Tony

I had the same experience with a Mitsubishi fuel pump. Over £250! Got one from Poland via eBay for about £30. It works, so I ordered another, so that when it eventually packs in, I'll replace it with the spare, then I'll order another. Even if they pack in every year I'm still quids in for the next 8 years!

But really..........why do you need a tacho on a boat anyway?

I had the same experience with a Mitsubishi fuel pump. Over £250! Got one from Poland via eBay for about £30. It works, so I ordered another, so that when it eventually packs in, I'll replace it with the spare, then I'll order another. Even if they pack in every year I'm still quids in for the next 8 years!

But really..........why do you need a tacho on a boat anyway?

I do wonder sometimes. My current Vetus setup has one, but my last boat had a Yanmar with no tacho. Never missed not having one, and I often wonder how accurate they really are. If ours packed in and was going to be expensive to fix it would get replaced with a circle of black plastic and fit an ammeter; far more useful IMHO. Many yachts with auxiliary Vetus engines have a smaller panel with no tacho/voltmeter, just idiot lights.

I used to have a Ford Anglia with a duff speedo, but always new when it was doing 30 because the ammeter said 15A ;)

Edited by Guest

Hi valrene9600

Change all the other filters, to be on the safe side.

That pump filter should be at least 2nd filter from tank, the 1st may be well clogged, or worse missing!

Bod