Volvo Md32a fuel consumption

Spikeymusik

Featured Posts

Hello all. Just bought my first boat, a 1975 Princess 32 with twin volvo six cylinder diesel engines and was hoping someone could give me any idea of what to expect of fuel consumption? We will be gently cruising the canals of South and West Yorkshire so no high speeds...generally running at about 15-1600 rpm.

I've spent time searching the net but no definitive answers but really I only need a ball-park figure!

Any input gratefully received so thank you.

Hello all. Just bought my first boat, a 1975 Princess 32 with twin volvo six cylinder diesel engines and was hoping someone could give me any idea of what to expect of fuel consumption? We will be gently cruising the canals of South and West Yorkshire so no high speeds...generally running at about 15-1600 rpm.

I've spent time searching the net but no definitive answers but really I only need a ball-park figure!

Any input gratefully received so thank you.

I would suggest you will be using about 5 litres per engine per hour at 1500 RPM

Do you have an engine manual - if so, and you have the following information there is a formula that gives a pretty accurate usage at various RPM

1) WOT RPM

2) WOT Litres per hour

3) WOT HP

Did you buy that for 'gently cruising the canals' or for some other purpose and intend to pop onto the canal for a bit? I ask because the usual cruising figure for boats on canals is 1 to 1.5 litres per hour and usually at lower revs than you've quoted. If you know the hp rating of the engines someone will be able to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect in terms of fuel consumption, or you may be able to work it out for yourself as Alan says above, but I'd expect it to be in the order of ten times what most of us use. If you bought that boat purely for canal work, you've bought the wrong boat. :(

Did you buy that for 'gently cruising the canals' or for some other purpose and intend to pop onto the canal for a bit? I ask because the usual cruising figure for boats on canals is 1 to 1.5 litres per hour and usually at lower revs than you've quoted. If you know the hp rating of the engines someone will be able to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect in terms of fuel consumption, or you may be able to work it out for yourself as Alan says above, but I'd expect it to be in the order of ten times what most of us use. If you bought that boat purely for canal work, you've bought the wrong boat. sad.png

From memory the MD 32 Volvo Penta can produce 106 B.H.P.

The Princess 32 will have Outdrives,for low speed cruising you could run on one Engine and still be able to steer the boat easily

Stopping and Getting underway will present no difficulty either

CT

Excellent replies thank you all. Yes we did buy the boat for canal cruising and we're very happy with it. I realise it's over spec'd for what we need but it works for us.

The running on one engine sounds like being worth a try.

Sea Dog, at least I've bought a boat...it's a start.smile.png

Excellent replies thank you all. Yes we did buy the boat for canal cruising and we're very happy with it. I realise it's over spec'd for what we need but it works for us.

The running on one engine sounds like being worth a try.

Sea Dog, at least I've bought a boat...it's a start.:)

Yeah, fair enough! Sounds like you've bought a helluva boat actually! :D I hope she works out great for you and you have many happy times together.

Welcome to the forum too: I'm sure you'll find it a great source of info.

• 1 year later...