Tracing Family History, Clements

Moseley

Featured Posts

Can anyone point me in the right direction, i've been tracing my family and have found out my Great Great Grandma, lived and worked on the canal, her name was Elizabeth Clements and her husband name was David, in the 1891 census there address was canalside Long Buckby.

I think they moved coal.

I tried Stoke Bruerne museum with no luck.

If anyone could give any information on where to look it would be much appreciated.

Debbie

Can anyone point me in the right direction, i've been tracing my family and have found out my Great Great Grandma, lived and worked on the canal, her name was Elizabeth Clements and her husband name was David, in the 1891 census there address was canalside Long Buckby.

I think they moved coal.

I tried Stoke Bruerne museum with no luck.

If anyone could give any information on where to look it would be much appreciated.

Debbie

Try:

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/collection/family-history.htm

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/FamilyHistory.htm

https://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/325-Canals-and-Waterways

http://hnbc.org.uk/family-history

Most point to other resources including mailinglist purely about boat people.

Cheers,

John

Daniel Clements whos wife was Elizabeth was born in Buckby

had a son Herbert Richard Clements who was baptised sept 28th 1884 also in Buckby wharf fathers occ is listed as Boatman

Richard had a younger brother George born about 1910.

Daniel died when the boys where young

1911 census shows Herbert as a dock labourer in Brentford Middx & living @ 24 ,Lateware rd

with wife maria & 1 year old son George Herbert have the parish record of this child being baptised @ St George church Brentford

records are a bit confusing then as I looks as if George is working on the docks from age around 10 saves all his money & takes his mother & brother to a new life in America .

There are two Clements buried together in the church yard @ Long Buckby I am not 100% sure if these are your people but they are buried in the newer section next to where most of the Humphries & other boat people are resting A clements & her husband . if you like I can send a message with the full details on the grave .

When I speak to my uncle George Humpries who lives in l/buckby I will ask if any Clements still live in the village

post-8273-0-84695200-1468580877_thumb.jpg

post-8273-0-43285100-1468581001_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeannette smith harrison
  • Greenie 2

Thanks for all the information so far i'll look through it over the week-end,

I'm not to sure about Daniel Clements, in the 1881 census David Clements 38 born in Oxford and Elizabeth 36 born in Oldbury Staffs, they had 4 children Samual, Thomas, Sarah and Joseph.

Although looking at the entry on the baptism it could say David and not Daniel.

Then in 1891 they had 3 more children William, Ada and Herbert (this could be the Herbert he's the right age.)

It is Sarah who's my GG Grandmother she married William Goode and Lived in Dodford and had a coal business but it was her that started up the business which was unusual for the time.

Thank you again for your help, I will be interested to know if your uncle knew of them, I'm trying to get an ancestry book together for the family.

Edited by Moseley

Mosley

This i belive is the baptism records for youe GG Grandmother Sarah

intresting to not that your GGG Grandmother Elizabeth is using the name Betsy.

1891 Census Sarah is a servant to Samuel & Elizabeth Smalley ,Samuel is the Baliff/Gardner on the estate of John & Elizabeth Adams estate appears to be next to Norton Locks

Was Sarah's Mother Elizabeth (Betsy) your GGG Grandmother from the Stevens boating family ?Daughter to Samuel Stevens & Sarah Millerchip? if so My G grandmother on Grandads side was from the Same Stevens Family

post-8273-0-00386100-1468622591_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Jeannette,

We have the marriage certificate, Elizabeth and Daniel Clements were married at All Saints church Northampton in 1867, the fathers were Joseph Clements and Samuel Stevens.

So it seems we are related!

I will continue the search in the winter months as I need to renew my membership to the Ancestry site.

Thank you for your help I'll be in touch when we find out more.

Debbie

Mosley

This i belive is the baptism records for youe GG Grandmother Sarah

intresting to not that your GGG Grandmother Elizabeth is using the name Betsy.

1891 Census Sarah is a servant to Samuel & Elizabeth Smalley ,Samuel is the Baliff/Gardner on the estate of John & Elizabeth Adams estate appears to be next to Norton Locks

Was Sarah's Mother Elizabeth (Betsy) your GGG Grandmother from the Stevens boating family ?Daughter to Samuel Stevens & Sarah Millerchip? if so My G grandmother on Grandads side was from the Same Stevens Family

Thank you for letting me know Debbie

If you follow your line of Stevens down you will come to the well known Caggy (alen) Stevens

he was my g grans brothers boy . so it looks like our G Grans may well have been sisters .

I was in buckby @ the w/end & uncle George said he knew the Clements many years back but knows of none in the village now .

In Buckby church yard the Clements buried near to my G Grandad Harrison = On a granite open book headstone left/ side=

In loving memory of ANNE ELLEN CLEMENTS who died on 15th July 1984 age 71 a dearly loved wife mother & grandmother.

​ right side =ALFRED ROBERT CLEMENTS who died on 25th june 1989 age 75 years a dearly loved father & grandfather

then across both pages "so very sadly missed"

As you progress with your family tree you will be able to fit this couple into it .